Eric Prime

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

9 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I don't think there's any guarantee that IT2 crosses $200M. The kid version of the story is the more interesting one. It's probably going to be in that range, the first one came out of nowhere, that it could be a flash in the pan success that doesn't bring people back. 

This is such an asinine take. So you are saying the movie will have the worst drop for the second part in a two partner and it will in a completely free September. Even if it drops similarly as PoTC 3 from PoTC 2 (they both technically make two parter because the second a film ends in a cliffhanger), it would make 238 mil and that's the worst drop ever for a two partner.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

so FFH is a half disney film that they don't even have the rights to put it on their streaming service. wild

I am not sure how to count a studio % in a movie, but on the creative/production side, seem to be split yes

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6320628/companycredits

Production Companies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Far_From_Home

Production
companies

Produced by 

Victoria Alonso ... executive producer
Avi Arad ... executive producer
Chris Buongiorno ... associate producer
Eric Hauserman Carroll ... executive producer
Louis D'Esposito ... executive producer
Kevin Feige ... producer
Thomas M. Hammel ... executive producer
Stan Lee ... executive producer
David Minkowski ... co-producer (Czech Republic)
Amy Pascal ... producer
Matthew Stillman ... co-producer (Czech Republic)
Matt Tolmach ... executive producer

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am pretty sure all HP movies(except maybe PoA) and the entire LOTR trilogy and original spiderman trilogy plus POTC 3 and Transformers 2, SW3 and Finding Nemo or Shrek 2 & 3 will break 1b if they have that kind of international exposure in 2000s like nowadays.

LotR 3 got past 1B though. And HP1 ist just 25M away.

And better ER in Europe HP1 did just $67.8M in Germany but it opened in the month were the DEM was exchanged against the Euro. With today's ER it would already be $85M and with the best of 2008/2009 it would be $110M

If we just could get a run like HP1 or LotR again in Germany. That would be bloody amazing. HP 1 has the fourth highest original run with 12.596M since 1963 only behind Doctor Zhivago (12.75M), Once Upon a Time in the West (13M) and Titanic (18.1M) and the Jungle Book (original run 7.6M which had 4 rereleases (9.1M, 5.5M, 4.2M and 1M) and three of those are from the late sixties when people still would watch more movies.

And it still, after 18 years, has the highest opening weekend ever, LotR movies had 2.071M, 2.082 and 1.883M on their 2nd weekend and the fourth highest 2nd weekend belongs to HP1 with 1.752M, only TFA and a German comedy were able to beat that on their opening weekend.

Even in revenue HP1 is still the sixth highest movie ever only behind Titanic, Avatar, TFA, the Jungle Book and LotR I, it's actually 35% above Endgame!

Damn, I want a run like that again. RTOS I am looking at you. (slightly weird, ups, sorry). And RTOS can be really happy if it reaches HP1 in €, in $ it needs to pass it in adm. half is the target.

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This is such an asinine take. So you are saying the movie will have the worst drop for the second part in a two partner and it will in a completely free September. Even if it drops similarly as PoTC 3 from PoTC 2 (they both technically make two parter because the second a film ends in a cliffhanger), it would make 238 mil and that's the worst drop ever for a two partner.

Would you have called it asinine if someone predicted Secret Life's of Pets 2 would fall 58%?

It's been a bad year for a lot of sequels. I think it's possible the adult version doesn't excite people the same way the first one did. Not

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Would you have called it asinine if someone predicted Secret Life's of Pets 2 would fall 58%?

It's been a bad year for a lot of sequels. I think it's possible the adult version doesn't excite people the same way the first one did. Not

Pets 2 isn't the second part of a two partner. It's a traditional sequel that also released in a crowded summer. The only second part of a two parter that released this year ended up becoming the highest grossing film of all time. This isn't having a worse drop than PoTC 3.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am not sure how to count a studio % in a movie, but on the creative/production side, seem to be split yes

Production Companies

Production
companies

Produced by 

Kevin Feige ... producer
Amy Pascal ... producer

On the creative side its Marvel Studios, plain and simple

This is how these things work. Pascal gets a nod towards her production company given her early involvement and absolutely critical role in arranging this deal with Kevin Feige and Disney and Columbia is there to represent Sony's interests. In terms of the creation of the film and overseeing the production of the film, its a Marvel Studios film. In so many words that was the deal they struck with Sony, they gained creative control in exchange for giving Sony full financial participation. Its why Sony cant shove Spiderman into their other films (and why Venom will only join the MCU at the behest of Marvel studios) and why the previous two Spiderman films were part of the MCU's phase 3 and 4. 

Whatever role Sony has in the creative process is in the spirit of greater cooperation, but Marvel Studios has final say. Spiderman is in their franchise, Disney and Marvel Studios are not going to give Sony any power in dictating the direction of their crown jewel franchise, especially after Sony and Columbia managed to bungle Spiderman twice in the past

Besides understanding the logic of the arrangement between Disney and Sony, have you seen the films? HC and FFH are distinctly Marvel Studios films

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Production Companies

Production
companies

Produced by 

Kevin Feige ... producer
Amy Pascal ... producer

yeah it says Marvel Studios, not Walt Disney Pictures 

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Pets 2 isn't the second part of a two partner. It's a traditional sequel that also released in a crowded summer. The only second part of a two parter that released this year ended up becoming the highest grossing film of all time. This isn't having a worse drop than PoTC 3.

I believe you invest a lot more weight into "two parter" vs "sequel" than I do, which is fine. 

I just don't see it as a guarantee, and am curious to see what buzz develops as it gets closer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol how?

Super popular character, insanely high interest and what's been called a career-best performance from one of our best working actors? Ledger's turn as Joker is the most iconic bad guy of the century, and if this new one strikes the same chord then it'll make a lot of money; even if the movie around the performance isn't amazing.

2 hours ago, vafrow said:

Fair enough. But, I think there was probably hope that the focus on two bankable stars may have allowed this film to grab new viewers to the series. 

At least Universal seemed to approach this with caution, and didn't line up an aggressive sequel and spin off plan with the intention of a cinematic universe. They put out a solid monkey making big budget film and can figure out their next steps. 

Maybe so but love or hate Vin Diesel this franchise has been carried because of him. It did well when he came back and yes they've added a lot of great actors over the years but this is just a spin-off and maybe they shouldn't of sunk 200 million dollars into this one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I believe you invest a lot more weight into "two parter" vs "sequel" than I do, which is fine. 

I just don't see it as a guarantee, and am curious to see what buzz develops as it gets closer. 

I'm with you on It 2's buzz being lower. Joker dom > It 2 dom wouldn't surprise me

23 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

On the creative side its Marvel Studios, plain and simple

Well the writers and half the producers are from Sony/Pascal production.

Spiderman is in their franchise, Disney and Marvel Studios are not going to give Sony any power in dictating the direction of their crown jewel franchise, especially after Sony and Columbia managed to bungle Spiderman twice in the past

Maybe, but they sold the movie adaptation right to sony, they already sold them (obviously not give) the power in dictating the direction of their crown jewel. At least in press release around that deal they were insisting that Sony kept final cut and full creative control, they could have been lying.

yeah it says Marvel Studios, not Walt Disney Pictures 

That sound a bit like a semantic distinction, specially since Disney took complete creative control of Marvel studio and moved their office directly on their lot (https://www.slashfilm.com/marvel-studios-offices-tour/).
Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1