The Wild Eric

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Rewatched the last jedi after two years maybe thoughts would change 

Technically well.made but jesus christ what a suffocating uninspired disinterest bored plot that is told in this film.

The main fault of this movie is that it really makes you lose interest in the Skywalker saga.

6 /10

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 11

10 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

If the TLJ was a stand alone movie, not part of any franchise, you could say that it wasn't that bad. 

However, one of Star Wars main selling point is its in dept world building and its lore.  All six of the first movies (regardless of the quality of some) fit together and told a cohesive story.  This cohesive storytelling across multiple movies is the MCU's selling point too.

Imagine if the next Avengers, directed by Ryan johnson, Captain marvel is unceremoniously killed off and Black panther becomes a loner that drinks green milk.  That would definitively "subvert" everyone's expectations.  Even if it was a good movie, it would tear the MCU fan base apart just like what happened in Star Wars.

In multi-billion dollar franchises, movies need to be more than simply good.

The subversion for subversions sake stuff is also partly why Snyder's DC movies under performed. People didn't want to see Batman murder dudes, they didn't want to see new Superman be depressed and die in only his second go around in the new universe. Subversion for subversion sake definitely doesn't work with the classical myth making feel of the Star Wars franchise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just realized that the latest 3 SW films (SW8 + SOLO + SW9) could combined come under AEG's 2797.80 ww if SW9 does not cross 1072.10 ww.

1332.54+393.15+1072.10 = 2797.79

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 3

15 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The subversion for subversions sake stuff is also partly why Snyder's DC movies under performed. People didn't want to see Batman murder dudes, they didn't want to see new Superman be depressed and die in only his second go around in the new universe. Subversion for subversion sake definitely doesn't work with the classical myth making feel of the Star Wars franchise.

1000x yes!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cedec0 said:

Letting Rian Johnson kill snoke in TLJ is an example of having no plan.  Imagine if they killed the emperor in Empire strikes back, what the hell do you do in the next movie?

This is always just a funny argument to me.  It is arguing that you want these movies to be MORE similar.  So instead of killing him when you least expect it, you want him killed in the third movie, just like what happened to the Emperor?  

Killing him opened them up to go anywhere and do anything.  Maybe that isn't a big hook for you, but I think that was absolutely the smartest choice and it was a huge surprise to me.

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

I thought only a vocal minority hated TLJ? How can TLJ hurt this?

The online film media is full shit. They embarrassed themselves crying about Joker this year. That movie's success with audiences devestated them in the funniest way. No matter how much they screamed otherwise more than a tiny minority disliked The Last Jedi. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

This is always just a funny argument to me.  It is arguing that you want these movies to be MORE similar.  So instead of killing him when you least expect it, you want him killed in the third movie, just like what happened to the Emperor?  

Killing him opened them up to go anywhere and do anything.  Maybe that isn't a big hook for you, but I think that was absolutely the smartest choice and it was a huge surprise to me.

Killing Snoke in the 2nd movie could be a very good idea if you knew what you were going to do from there for 3.   

Killing Snoke in the 2nd movie without knowing what you’re doing next was a pretty stupid move. But so is making movie 2 at all without an idea of what to do in 3, and so was introducing Snoke in movie 1 without knowing what was going to go on with him in 2 and 3, so... I guess it’s true that killing Snoke specifically wasn’t the issue.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's down to a 88% and audience reception was just opened. Oh boy. Remember media has been saying how this is a film for the fans and the fans will love it. Lets test that theory.

Literally 22 positive reviews and 3 negative reviews. Wait til 500 or so at least.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Rewatched the last jedi after two years maybe thoughts would change 

Technically well.made but jesus christ what a suffocating uninspired disinterest bored plot that is told in this film.

The main fault of this movie is that it really makes you lose interest in the Skywalker saga.

6 /10

Kinda how I felt. I liked it because, in the end, there are at least a few inspired sequences. But as a whole it's quite...dull. 

All those folks saying it's a more complex Star Wars movie...how? The climax of the movie is still Jedi-powered Rey and Luke fighting off Kylo Ren. Sure, Holdo saves them by sacrificing herself...why should I care? I know nothing about her. 

Maybe if the end of the movie built off of Kylo's words ("kill the past") in the throne room a little bit more, the movie might've been something special. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

True but then rey already beat kylo in part 1 sort of killing a lot of the buzz and attention for "the mighty kylo" vs Rey in episode 9.

Kylo has been this conflicting but interesting character but the character choices made in the two films as a result really didn't set him up to be a really menacing villain to really make people excited for part 3.

You guys said The Last Jedi left an empty canvas I would say It left a prison box..

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

The only thing TLJ left the trilogy to end with is tiny Rebellion vs Empire,  Rey against Kylo after she's already beaten him twice, and all the the useless side characters Rian didn't know what to do with. Maybe for some people Rey vs Kylo conflict/romantic overtones would be enough but obviously the people who made the decisions didn't think so. 

• Like 2