Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

100% agree. The body horror is played for laughs and used for fighting, not to scare or gross out/gore.

Interesting side note is that the Jurassic Park films actually follow the slasher movie formula. 

Yeah, Crichton wasn't far off a horror writer, really. 13th Warrior and Congo also follow slasher structures to a hefty degree, and Disclosure isn't too far away from a domestic socio-political horror. JP1 and 3 are close to Horror films, and a couple of the kills in the newer ones are directed with slasher sensibilities, but all contain too many other beats to really fit into the horror category IMO, and the films are constructed around the overall narrative (in the case of the first) and all-purpose action (in the case of the others) more prominently than the composition/timing of the death scenes.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Venom may not be a traditional horror film but it definitely has Halloween vibes like Beetlejuice and Corpse Bride.

I think it definitely gets a Halloween boost.

Meanwhile I totally agree with this.

Venom isn't a horror film but if done well it does have what I would very academically term a warm spooky spook factor. A warm cosy hygge bit of atmosphere.

....And I actually think Halloween is better for spooky spook factor than it is for balls to the wall horror. Certainly I'd pick watching Hocus Pocus and Monster House on Halloween over a Saw marathon any year. And I suspect the box office will reflect that general sentiment in favour of Venom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Since July we have Jungle Cruise passing 100M, FG will pass it this week so as SC. So that's 3 movies with +100M in over a month. And we still have some surprises like Candyman.

We have only 4 other movies that surpass that since March 2020.

Things are clearly stable, other than Delta i think TSS colossal failure was the overall reason for lots of people feel insecure about box office, but after so many surprises happened

Suicide Squad was so disappointing BO wise. I loved the movie. But I think it's failure had more to do with an awful first movie and releasing on HBOMAX than Delta Variant. Makes me worried for Dune which has to do good just so the rest of the book can be adapted. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Curtis will win an carreer awards at Venice this week alongside with the premiere of the movie there with reviews right after the screening.

Perfect timing to release final trailer and start aggressive marketing.

Yep! In Venice right now for the premiere. Excited as hell.

• Like 1

Venom has an 80% audience RT score and Suicide Squad's is rotten (59%).

Then you have the trailers of TSS versus Venom 2. The reception has been night and day.

TSS trailer has around 118k likes.

Venom 2 is approaching one million likes.

Just for perspective Shang Chi's trailer is much older and has about the same amount of likes as Venom 2 (around 875k).

I know using likes as a metric is often dismissed but I think TSS trailers low amount of likes could've been a warning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Menor said:

MCU is much bigger. Yeah Fast films will beat some of the solo films but they won't be coming close to Avengers movies now that the franchise has come back to earth in China. Solid #2 for now, let's see how JW Dominion does to be sure of it though. 

Also I would say 1 billion overseas would be incredibly unlikely even in normalcy considering it dropped big time in China and F8 did just above 1b. USA gross, though higher than many of us expected, was still well down from F8 -- and it opened at the best point for Covid cases. 

I disagree, their overseas grosses started to consistently hit 1b and it looks like F9 likely would have too. The only 2 films to in the MCU to achieve that was IW and Endgame, averagly they were lucky to hit 700k. And we can't forget the fast franchise never had the 3d subcharge to inflate it's grosses.Even the Hobbs and Shaw spin off made more than most of the MCU overseas. 

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Suicide Squad was so disappointing BO wise. I loved the movie. But I think it's failure had more to do with an awful first movie and releasing on HBOMAX than Delta Variant. Makes me worried for Dune which has to do good just so the rest of the book can be adapted. 

Yeah i think TSS face bigger problems with Rated R, confusing marketing, HBO Max release and a hated First movie.

Delta is a factor but i never think it was a huge problem when JC opened 10M higher days before and also on Disney Plus.

It makes me sad because it's my favorite CBM movie in a long time but still the box office was a disaster 

3 hours ago, Kalo said:

I do think that Venom 2 was always going to gross less than the first. a lot of people like it, but a lot also hated it. I personally enjoyed, but I wouldn't call it a great film by any means, fun and somewhat unique in a cheesy way maybe even good, but not great. 

My thought was that it was decent but nowhere near deserving of the box office performance. Especially in China that made no sense. I'm not counting it out even during the pandemic. If they liked that crazy film this one should be even crazier.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

My thought was that it was decent but nowhere near deserving of the box office performance. Especially in China that made no sense. I'm not counting it out even during the pandemic. If they liked that crazy film this one should be even crazier.

From memory it was a huge hit in South Korea as well.

Edited by Ronin46
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

It seems like it depends movie to movie. Escape Room 2 still isn't available on VOD. However, Don't Breathe 2 already is since last Friday.

Plus, if Sony follows the original Venom's release cycle, it'll be out on Blu/digital by December to get that holiday season dough.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Yeah, Crichton wasn't far off a horror writer, really. 13th Warrior and Congo also follow slasher structures to a hefty degree, and Disclosure isn't too far away from a domestic socio-political horror. JP1 and 3 are close to Horror films, and a couple of the kills in the newer ones are directed with slasher sensibilities, but all contain too many other beats to really fit into the horror category IMO, and the films are constructed around the overall narrative (in the case of the first) and all-purpose action (in the case of the others) more prominently than the composition/timing of the death scenes.

Oh yeh for sure. The pacing of Jurassic World especially plays out the same as a slasher. So good. 

11 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I disagree, their overseas grosses started to consistently hit 1b and it looks like F9 likely would have too. The only 2 films to in the MCU to achieve that was IW and Endgame, averagly they were lucky to hit 700k. And we can't forget the fast franchise never had the 3d subcharge to inflate it's grosses.Even the Hobbs and Shaw spin off made more than most of the MCU overseas. 

I don't know where people are getting this idea that F9 would hit 1B OS without the pandemic. China didn't have any pandemic restrictions when it opened and it dropped almost 200 million compared to F8, which itself barely broke 1B OS. Also are IW and Endgame not MCU films? Why should they be ignored here?

Edited by Menor
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1