Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

The success of this film is fine but I think it's bullshit that Hollywood is still unable to give proper distribution to most actual Asian (espescially Chinese and Hong Kong) movie releases. Impossible to watch Raging Fire anywhere and I'd be lucky to watch the new Soi Cheang film legally anywhere for at least another year (luckily someone online sent me the film but it sucks that barely anyone can watch it, and it's also in the wrong aspect ratio).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The success of this film is fine but I think it's bullshit that Hollywood is still unable to give proper distribution to most actual Asian (espescially Chinese and Hong Kong) movie releases. Impossible to watch Raging Fire anywhere and I'd be lucky to watch the new Soi Cheang film legally anywhere for at least another year (luckily someone online sent me the film but it sucks that barely anyone can watch it, and it's also in the wrong aspect ratio).

There is a good distribution of Indian films in the US. With the Chinese-American population being bigger, it's definitely odd we don't have as good of one for Chinese-language films. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Cinemark has really gotten onboard Indian film distribution (and those films have worked out financially, at least at my local chain outlets), so I would bet we're not far away from them dipping their toes into Chinese/Hong Kong films in the near term...

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I didn't realise that the US handled Asian cinema releases so poorly (particularly as you are in SF.)

I'm glad here in Auckland we get a bunch of Chinese, Hong Kong, Indian, Korean and Japanese films as well as some South East Asian releases; obviously it is not everything but it is a decent amount. 

I’m sure he was central to the decision of a delay as he’s the producer, but I like to think Tom Cruise phoned Paramount today berating them for moving Maverick. Expletive filled rant. 

I wish the movie gods could make it so that Venom 2 and Maverick swapped current release dates, but alas….

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m sure he was central to the decision of a delay as he’s the producer, but I like to think Tom Cruise phoned Paramount today berating them for moving Maverick. Expletive filled rant. 

I wish the movie gods could make it so that Venom 2 and Maverick swapped current release dates, but alas….

If I remember correctly Tom Cruise wants to do global press junkets for both TG2 and MI7 to give them a big marketing push and with delta that isn't possible right now so it is possible he is fine with the decision particularly as he is still currently filming I believe so press for Maverick would have been difficult anyway. 

edit (here is the source so no one accuses me of being full of shit) https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/behind-the-top-gun-sequel-delay-tom-cruise-plans-global-press-tour-4165743/

Edited by Jamiem

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That's fine. They're not really distributing Hollywood stuff anymore anyway.

2 hours ago, Menor said:

I don't know where people are getting this idea that F9 would hit 1B OS without the pandemic. China didn't have any pandemic restrictions when it opened and it dropped almost 200 million compared to F8, which itself barely broke 1B OS. Also are IW and Endgame not MCU films? Why should they be ignored here?

They shouldn't be ignored, but TFA was bigger than any Potter movie overseas but you won't hear anyone say the SW franchise is bigger than Potter overseas as a whole. Yeah Endgame was huge, and IW likely sold a similar amount of tickets to F7 overseas given 3D but no fast and furious movie has made less than 550m overseas in the past decade. Just this year alone F9 has dwarfed everything OS. I think you have to give it to the franchise for it's consistency. Before then pandemic no solo MCU movies were putting up them kind of numbers, it took the end of an epic 24 movie saga without putting a foot wrong to achieve that height yet Dom and fam was doing it just by simply driving cars into submarines.

Edited by Chicago

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm still shocked Godzilla vs Kong 100m DOM was once considered a win in the pandemic era, so glad 200m is back in the picture as a goal.

Hopefully 300m is not too long away.

I used to track films many years ago when making 300m was considered the 'massive blockbuster' territory. Lately it seemed like 600m became that new 300m but maybe the old ways are coming back.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

If I remember correctly Tom Cruise wants to do global press junkets for both TG2 and MI7 to give them a big marketing push and with delta that isn't possible right now so it is possible he is fine with the decision particularly as he is still currently filming I believe so press for Maverick would have been difficult anyway. 

edit (here is the source so no one accuses me of being full of shit) https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/behind-the-top-gun-sequel-delay-tom-cruise-plans-global-press-tour-4165743/

oh I don’t doubt. He’ll give both all the attention he can, as he always does. 

Thought it would be fitting for one of the key heroes in filmdom for getting movies back shooting again to have a huge smash this fall. But….they’ll be worth the wait I’m sure. 

I’ve waited over 30 years for the return of Top Gun, so I can wait another six months or so! Lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think it's bullshit that Hollywood is still unable to give proper distribution to most actual Asian (espescially Chinese and Hong Kong) movie releases

It's not Hollywood job to release those films. There is a big Chinese diaspora and distributors like Well Go USA, CMC, Neon that are supposed to release these films.

Hollywood don't release Indian movies in US. Indian diaspora distributor or India based producers do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cap said:

MODERATION @ Everyone

Sebastian Stan No GIF by Disney+

There will be zero Anthony Mackie Slander under my watch. Move. On. 

Mackie slander aside, I logged on and see someone defended Sebastian Stan (lack of) charisma and almost logged off. 

Debate and opinions is one thing but flat out lying is a whole other thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It's not Hollywood job to release those films. There is a big Chinese diaspora and distributors like Well Go USA, CMC, Neon that are supposed to release these films.

Hollywood don't release Indian movies in US. Indian diaspora distributor or India based producers do.

None of the distributors you mentioned are big distributors at all. Well Go USA and Neon? Really? And larger Hollywood studios did a better (still not very good) job distributing Chinese and Hong Kong films (and also introducing directors like Woo, Hark, Chan, Tong into the mainstream) 10-20 years ago than they do today. Crouching Tiger adjusted made close to what Shang-Chi will make today.

And "it's not Hollywood's job" is such a bullshit reason. I don't really care lol. All I know is that there clearly would be some demand for these kinds of films that are also far better than most of Hollywood's blockbuster output today.

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

None of the distributors you mentioned are big distributors at all. Well Go USA and Neon? Really? 

Who said anything about them being big. I said its their job to bring the films here.

They buy the films, release it here. For awards stuff studios like Searchlight, SPC, do release these films but rarely.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chicago said:

They shouldn't be ignored, but TFA was bigger than any Potter movie overseas but you won't hear anyone say the SW franchise is bigger than Potter overseas as a whole. Yeah Endgame was huge, and IW likely sold a similar amount of tickets to F7 overseas given 3D but no fast and furious movie has made less than 550m overseas in the past decade. Just this year alone F9 has dwarfed everything OS. I think you have to give it to the franchise for it's consistency. Before then pandemic no solo MCU movies were putting up them kind of numbers, it took the end of an epic 24 movie saga without putting a foot wrong to achieve that height yet Dom and fam was doing it just by simply driving cars into submarines.

I don't think 2 movies doing 1 billion OS qualifies as consistency. F6 did around 550 OS in the same year that Iron Man 3 did 800. F9 in normalcy may have done around 700 OS which has been done by MCU movies like FFH, CM. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sam said:

Mackie slander aside, I logged on and see someone defended Sebastian Stan (lack of) charisma and almost logged off. 

Debate and opinions is one thing but flat out lying is a whole other thing. 

Prepare yourself for his awards sweep next year for his Tommy Lee impersonation.

Pam And Tommy: Wild 1st Look Photos of Sebastian Stan And Lily James As  Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson - The Illuminerdi

(lol just kidding, neither he or Lily James - or any actor, for that matter - are winning awards for playing Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson)

• Haha 1