EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

Don’t forget, as was the case with NTTD, Spidey’s ultimate performance will be determined by its domestic legs on BOT. It could make $2 billion international and many wouldn’t care. 

NWH’s hold internationally is spectacular, considering current pandemic events/closures and entire day blackouts due to festive celebrations. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Overseas framing is worse. You have 24th & 25th completely shut at many Christian markets including AUS, UK, etc

Only shut on the 25th here in the UK.

That’s solid for American Underdog, I got a feeling it was being overlooked. 

Big but expected -69% drop for Spider-Man. Great to have a film finally do a billion.  

I don't know if anyone has said something about this. Deadline is calling $31.7M for Spidey's Sat, which means Sony is expecting a $30.15M Sun in order to get to ~$81.5M FSS

Also, SAT>TUES!:sparta:

Edited by Andreas

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Don’t forget, as was the case with NTTD, Spidey’s ultimate performance will be determined by its domestic legs on BOT. It could make $2 billion international and many wouldn’t care. 

NWH’s hold internationally is spectacular, considering current pandemic events/closures and entire day blackouts due to festive celebrations. 

Not sure the legs matter too much. It’s an amazing worldwide total already, especially given COVID problems. Plenty of momentum left to continue building the numbers in a big way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, baumer said:

Just a friendly reminder once again that even though Canada is small we still account for around 10-13% of the box office in North america. Our theaters here are down to 50% capacity by government order and there's no concessions that are being served also because of government order. There is rapid tests here that need to be taken and they limited family gatherings to 10 people or less indoors. The government here is trying to scare the shit out of everybody and it seems to be working and unfortunately that is affecting movie going. If Omicron hadn't happened I think the daily grosses for everything but especially no way home would be at least 10% bigger. So for example with Spider-Man is doing 30 million on Christmas Day I think it could have done like 33 if the restrictions here for the cinemas weren't put in place.

So just keep that in mind before starting your discussion about how the numbers are disappointing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

That IMO is ridiculous. Its overall BO is already at crazy levels. Looking at its share of overall 2021 BO, I doubt any other movie would come close. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I feel like J Jonah Jameson's media slant on Spidey is invading some of the board's thoughts:)...

• Like 1

The drop is fine for NWH. People are scared of Omnicron. The older demos are still not coming back to theaters. Clearly, Covid is still affecting box office. If I were a studio, I would seriously consider delaying anything targeted to older demos or sell that shit to streaming. That box office audience seems gone.

Also, I believe NWH would have better drops if it were not for Covid. Occums Razor is relevant here. The easiest explanation is the most plausible. 

Edited by CloneWars
  • Like 7

Pretty sure it's been discussed already but for pretty much everyone, this was the first Christmas in two years (like 4th of July and Halloween earlier this year) so the relatively low increases yesterday might not mean as much as many think they do. Luckily there's one long stretch coming up between now and next Sunday for movies to make as much as they can.

Spider-Man and Sing are obviously the big winners of Christmas season while Matrix and King's Man are the big losers. Nice for American Underdog and Licorice Pizza too. West Side Story held well after last week's drop and will pass $30M next weekend. Too bad Encanto is gonna miss $100M, but D+ and a new animated movie in town can make for a deadly combo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

The drop is fine for NWH. People are scared of Omnicron. The older demos are still not coming back to theaters. Clearly, Covid is still affecting box office. If I were a studio, I would seriously consider delaying anything targeted to older demos or sell that shit to streaming. That box office audience seems gone.

Also, I believe NWH would have better drops if it were not for Covid. Occums Razor is relevant here. The easiest explanation is the most plausible. 

People have been asked to co-exist with Covid but in USA, the average daily death is constantly above 1500 and another >60k hospitalization. It is very hard to "ignore" this huge number, I believe some range below 500 death per day and 15000 hospitalization like how things were in this Summer should give more confidence boost for more risk-adverse group especially women, and those people stay at Northeast of America.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Poor Encanto. Disney+ killed it. Not even 100M DOM is quite awful and should ensure any future animated releases will be day & date or straight to streaming.

But isn't it you too, watch it on Disney+? Does that make you an accomplice of the murder?  

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Poor Encanto. Disney+ killed it. Not even 100M DOM is quite awful and should ensure any future animated releases will be day & date or straight to streaming.

Without Disney Plus I feel like it definitely would have made $100 million, even if just barely

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

That IMO is ridiculous. Its overall BO is already at crazy levels. Looking at its share of overall 2021 BO, I doubt any other movie would come close. 

i agree. I was being sarcastic due to the amusing meltdowns to NWH not making quite as much as some thought it would in the US this weekend. 😉