grim22

BOT Top 25 movies of 2021 | Full Reveal Complete

Spoiler

THE SUICIDE SQUAD
0IP1b9y.png

XLHzK6f.png

Plot Description: In exchange for lighter sentences, just like the anti-hero team in Suicide Squad (2016), a new batch of Belle Reve's meta-humans strike a deal with the cold head of Task Force X, Amanda Waller. This time, her ragtag band of super-powered convicts--Harley Quinn, Bloodsport, Peacemaker, King Shark, Polka-Dot Man, and Ratcatcher 2--venture into the peril-laden South American island nation of Corto Maltese to find the Thinker: the evil scientist in charge of the mysterious Project Starfish. But, as the band joins forces with an old leader of the notorious team, humankind is on the verge of extinction. Can the expendable Suicide Squad stop the new menace that could mean the end of the world as we know it?

James Gunn ended up getting the last laugh on the people who cancelled him by getting to build franchises within both the DC and the Marvel universes. THE Suicide Squad was one of the most fun movies of 2021 and it really helped that it looked at the superheroics and villainy as inherently goofy.

BOT User Review:

A-     Best movie i have watched by a mile so far this year. Glad i watched this in IMAX. @TigerPaw

It's been a long while coming, but I'm glad to say that this is the first DCEU film that I've legitimately loved. It feels weird, though, that the film that would finally be that ice-breaker would be a soft reboot/standalone sequel to one of DC's worst films. Thankfully, this is one of the most pleasant surprises of the year, incredibly refreshing after a pretty lackluster summer of disappointing blockbuster tentpoles.

It's irreverently funny, ultra-violent (indeed, a very well-earned R-rating), and boasts an incredibly strong ensemble cast. On the latter point, Idris Elba and Daniela Melchior stand out as the strongest of the newcomers, bringing with them the film's heart and soul. There are a few things that keep me from fully loving it: the first half of the film has a few plot digressions that halt the story entirely (I think we easily could've done without the over-long Harley romancing with evil-dictator-man scene entirely). However, the film does pick up significantly in the second half to where this issue doesn't end up dragging the whole ship down with it.

Honestly, it feels really good to write positive marks about a DC film after it feels like I've been shitting on them for so long. Between this and how much I genuinely enjoyed the Snyder Cut, I'd say this year's been a pretty welcome redemption arc for them. Hopefully, they keep up the momentum going forward. 4/5

@Rorschach

• Like 9

Streaming #3

Spoiler

LUCA

SHnOhkw.png

SHnOhkw.pngVY6LM94.pngSHnOhkw.png

Plot details: A young boy experiences an unforgettable seaside summer on the Italian Riviera filled with gelato, pasta and endless scooter rides. Luca shares these adventures with his newfound best friend, but all the fun is threatened by a deeply-held secret: he is a sea monster from another world just below the ocean's surface.

A movie I haven’t watched yet because my daughter hates the character designs and asks me to turn it off anytime I try to watch it. Maybe someday.

BOT User Review:

Very Cute and Funny Film - we enjoyed it a lot! @Seth Irskens

Great movie, is nice to see a Pixar movie doesn't trying to be mindblowing, is a sweet joyfull movie and is happy being that. @ThomasNicole

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

Spoiler

FREE GUY

QAhdMn0.png

bJfi2qr.png

Plot description:  In the extremely popular video game, Free City, a NPC named Guy learns the true nature of his existence when he meets the girl of his dreams, a human player. This player's interactions with Guy has massive affects on him, the game, and real world as they play it.

A great concept and pretty good execution led to a really fun movie, and the team for the next Deadpool movie being connected. Free Guy is just a fun movie overall and well worth anyone’s time.

BOT User Review:

The overuse of Fantasy in both the promotional material and the actual movie itself is rather annoying. It's a nice tune, but they really overdid it.

Otherwise, this was a pretty good time! What easily could've been disposable entertanment elevates itself into genuine quality thanks to the surprisingly robust story, endearing characters and all around great humour. I really did not see all the emotional scenes coming, especially in a Ryan Reynolds vehicle.

Oh, and there are some 5-star cameos here. You really don't want the last one in particular spoiled. It's a doozy. @BadOlCatSylvester

This was so good that I stayed in my theater chair for the next show just to watch it again.

@CJohn

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

Spoiler

LICORICE PIZZA

3uQh6ao.png

Igv6J2u.png

Plot description: LICORICE PIZZA is the story of Alana Kane and Gary Valentine growing up, running around and falling in love in the San Fernando Valley, 1973. Written and Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, the film tracks the treacherous navigation of first love.

The origin story of PT Anderson, and Jon Peters. It was good, but I didn’t enjoy it a lot. But I definitely can see why it resonated so much with a number of people and made it to #9 here.

BOT User Review:

Captures all the feelings of being in love for the first time so beautifully and distills it into 133 minutes. Can't remember the last time I left a movie feeling this euphoric @TMP

enjoyed this, thought it had good vibes. it was very cute. probably the most i've laughed at a pta film but also not in his top tier for me. wasn't a big fan of the young hoffman's performance. @CoolioD1

• Like 8

Spoiler

THE GREEN KNIGHT

9tJOPz7.png

oeV1PIz.png

Plot description: An epic fantasy adventure based on the timeless Arthurian legend, "The Green Knight" tells the story of Sir Gawain (Dev Patel), King Arthur's reckless and headstrong nephew, who embarks on a daring quest to confront the eponymous Green Knight, a gigantic emerald-skinned stranger and tester of men. Gawain contends with ghosts, giants, thieves, and schemers in what becomes a deeper journey to define his character and prove his worth in the eyes of his family and kingdom by facing the ultimate challenger. From visionary filmmaker David Lowery comes a fresh and bold spin on a classic tale from the knights of the round table.

All I know about this movie is that there is a scene where the Green Knight cums on his hand and we get a extended closeup of it. Apart from that, the movie only exists for me as a pretty good poster.

BOT User Review:

Even with tempered expectations, I wanted to like it more, but I still enjoyed it a great deal. If you don't like reading into things in movies, this won't be for you. It may be too off the wall, but I feel like that's the norm for Arthurian legend.  I liked the little changes from the story - or, what I can recall of it. It seems to me the film never tried to reach the lofty goal it set with the opening narration. @Morieris

a movie that does not shy away from taking risks, and visually it's pretty adventurous. Good sound design, too. Far from any streamlined studio production; a bit like a "Jodorowsky's Green Knight". And yet, I felt a little let down once the credits started rolling; for me, it didn't come together in the end - some mesmerising scenes and other beautiful scenes but not a whole. In that respect, it reminds me of some of Terry Gilliam's works which are always interesting to watch but often stay patchwork.  @IndustriousAngel

• Like 9

Streaming #2

Spoiler

TICK TICK BOOM

OoOa0so.png

GhiEVnR.png

Plot details: The film follows Jon (Andrew Garfield), a young theater composer who's waiting tables at a New York City diner in 1990 while writing what he hopes will be the next great American musical. Days before he's due to showcase his work in a make-or-break performance, Jon is feeling the pressure from everywhere: from his girlfriend Susan, who dreams of an artistic life beyond New York City; from his friend Michael, who has moved on from his dream to a life of financial security; amidst an artistic community being ravaged by the AIDS epidemic. With the clock ticking, Jon is at a crossroads and faces the question everyone must reckon with: What are we meant to do with the time we have?

Things I learned from this movie:

1.      Jonathan Larson was not gay

2.      Rent was not the only thing he did

Great performance by Andrew Garfield which might have won the Oscar in any other year.

BOT User Review:

A solid and at times rather spellbinding directorial debut from Lin-Manuel Miranda. Having produced a number of successful musicals himself, he clearly has a strong grasp on the genre, and he brings an energy to the proceedings that allows for an interesting take on the biopic. This is the performance of Andrew Garfield's career so far: he proves to be a surprisingly strong singer and brings tremendous levels of passion to a part that could've easily fallen flat in the wrong hands. Any Oscar buzz he gets is absolutely deserved. He's also backed by a strong supporting cast, with especially effective performances from Alexandra Shipp and Robin de Jesus (Bradley Whitford's Stephen Sondheim also provides an poignant presence in his few appearances watching this the day after he passed away). There's a couple of missteps (the aforementioned diner song could've easily been cut even though I'm sure theatre devotees will have fun spotting all the cameos), but it's first and foremost a tribute from one artist to another that wouldn't live to see his greatest success premiere to the world, and as such it succeeds. B+ @filmlover

• Like 6

Spoiler

BELLE

9nwlmsD.png

AGJQTBN.png

Plot Description: Suzu is a shy, everyday high school student living in a rural village. For years, she has only been a shadow of herself. But when she enters "U", a massive virtual world, she escapes into her online persona as Belle, a gorgeous and globally-beloved singer. One day, her concert is interrupted by a monstrous creature chased by vigilantes. As their hunt escalates, Suzu embarks on an emotional and epic quest to uncover the identity of this mysterious "beast" and to discover her true self in a world where you can be anyone.

Another movie I need to catch up to, but obviously one which had a lot of passion. Only showed up on 15 lists (so like a fifth of the total lists) but was #1 or within the top 3 on 14 of them.

BOT User Review:

Just saw this tonight (Japanese w. English subtitles). It was fantastic, especially the visuals and the songs. Glad I went to go see this in a theatre! Easy best of 2021 for me @Jason

This movie is easily better than Luca and enchanto, both movies are actually quite average as Pixar/ Disney pics.  @titanic2187

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Spoiler

THE LAST DUEL

7pRR1sD.png

ZjE4wBi.png

Plot Description: 

Based on the true story of France's last trial by combat in the Middle Ages. Knight Jean de Carrouges challenges his former friend Jacques Le Gris to a duel after Jean's wife Marguerite accuses Le Gris of rape. Told in multiple "Rashomon-style" points of view

The medieval rape-revenge movie (hat tip @Porthos) as it got known as. Unfairly maligned as that as well, and killed at the box office and ignored at the awards. The Last Duel had as wretched a time of it as possible when released but led to a re-evaluation once it was on HBO Max

BOT User Review:

It was fantastic. Adam Driver carried the show. Loved Matt Damon as well. Another solid effort by the octogenarian, Ridley Scott.

A

@lilmac

This was really great. Certainly Ridley's best since The Martian and if you exclude that; Kingdom of Heaven. 

Loved the Rashomon style of storytelling. It's like a puzzle box with how scenes not present in each others versions fill in the gaps. Then you have the scenes that repeat and they found a nice subtly to the differences. I felt some differences were played for humour which added some required levity while others are much more malevolent. 

Comer and Driver are fantastic in this. Affleck is having a lot of fun and also provides some humour. Damon is pretty good in this, I think he's a little shaky towards the start but settles into it. 

I love how Ridley captures the violence and action. There's a frankness and indifference which emphasises the brutishness and rawness of everything. The clanging of metal in the final duel was music to my ears. I was on the edge of my seat through the whole finale. 

@FilmFincher

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

Streaming #2

Hide contents

TICK TICK BOOM

OoOa0so.png

GhiEVnR.png

Plot details: The film follows Jon (Andrew Garfield), a young theater composer who's waiting tables at a New York City diner in 1990 while writing what he hopes will be the next great American musical. Days before he's due to showcase his work in a make-or-break performance, Jon is feeling the pressure from everywhere: from his girlfriend Susan, who dreams of an artistic life beyond New York City; from his friend Michael, who has moved on from his dream to a life of financial security; amidst an artistic community being ravaged by the AIDS epidemic. With the clock ticking, Jon is at a crossroads and faces the question everyone must reckon with: What are we meant to do with the time we have?

Things I learned from this movie:

1.      Jonathan Larson was not gay

2.      Rent was not the only thing he did

Great performance by Andrew Garfield which might have won the Oscar in any other year.

BOT User Review:

A solid and at times rather spellbinding directorial debut from Lin-Manuel Miranda. Having produced a number of successful musicals himself, he clearly has a strong grasp on the genre, and he brings an energy to the proceedings that allows for an interesting take on the biopic. This is the performance of Andrew Garfield's career so far: he proves to be a surprisingly strong singer and brings tremendous levels of passion to a part that could've easily fallen flat in the wrong hands. Any Oscar buzz he gets is absolutely deserved. He's also backed by a strong supporting cast, with especially effective performances from Alexandra Shipp and Robin de Jesus (Bradley Whitford's Stephen Sondheim also provides an poignant presence in his few appearances watching this the day after he passed away). There's a couple of missteps (the aforementioned diner song could've easily been cut even though I'm sure theatre devotees will have fun spotting all the cameos), but it's first and foremost a tribute from one artist to another that wouldn't live to see his greatest success premiere to the world, and as such it succeeds. B+ @filmlover

Crazy how this streaming movie was playing in 3-5 theaters around me during December and January when it released. Wild!

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Lol No Way Home about to get the number one spot.

Don’t tease me like this.  

Spoiler

Wasn’t even in the top half of 2021 mcu movies tho 🤔

Edited by Villain Legion

Spoiler

DRIVE MY CAR
VV3qYBy.png

1DtmtF5.png

Plot description: Two years after his wife's unexpected death, Yusuke Kafuku (Hidetoshi Nishijima), a renowned stage actor and director, receives an offer to direct a production of Uncle Vanya at a theater festival in Hiroshima. There, he meets Misaki Watari (Toko Miura), a taciturn young woman assigned by the festival to chauffeur him in his beloved red Saab 900. As the production's premiere approaches, tensions mount amongst the cast and crew, not least between Yusuke and Koshi Takatsuki, a handsome TV star who shares an unwelcome connection to Yusuke's late wife. Forced to confront painful truths raised from his past, Yusuke begins - with the help of his driver - to face the haunting mysteries his wife left behind.

A meditation on grief and loneliness, and also wanting to reach out to other human beings, Drive My Car takes its time but is worth the time you would spend watching it. A great performance at the center of it and some great shots of Japan (without crazy color filters) combine to make it a good watch.

BOT User Review:

Best film of the year imo. - @TheDude391

• Like 8

Spoiler

NO TIME TO DIE

Xjr6WWW.png

10KPVLn.png

Plot description: Bond has left active service and is enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica. His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter from the CIA turns up asking for help. The mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology.

Bond will not return. A Bond actor finally gets to go out on his own terms in this long running series. Craig’s farewell is a movie firmly focused on Bond and his personal attachments, it works more often than it doesn’t and tries to tie together all the plots from the 5 movies Craig has as Bond in his 16 year run. The villain is very weak but most of the rest of the movie is great and a worthy sendoff.

BOT User Review:

This is probably my number one movie of 2021 so far. Thought it was really great. @DAJK

I have been Bond fan since I first watched Diamonds are forever as a kid. 

I watched the movie with great trepidation given that I did not like QOS, Skyfall and Spectre. I was worried that I would hate the movie.  But I ended up loving the movie. While the pacing is uneven and the villain forgettable, the movie has an emotional core that appealed to me. There are a lot of moments that are  really good. 

The action sequences are excellent. Loved the interaction between Bond and 007. Even Ana de Armas was fun in her short role. 

The last few minutes made me cry. 

Rating: A

@jb007

• Like 9

STREAMING #1

Spoiler

THE POWER OF THE DOG

mVEF6vP.png

UGiDa1n.png

Plot details: Severe, pale-eyed, handsome, Phil Burbank is brutally beguiling. All of Phil's romance, power and fragility is trapped in the past and in the land: He can castrate a bull calf with two swift slashes of his knife; he swims naked in the river, smearing his body with mud. He is a cowboy as raw as his hides. The year is 1925. The Burbank brothers are wealthy ranchers in Montana. At the Red Mill restaurant on their way to market, the brothers meet Rose, the widowed proprietress, and her impressionable son Peter. Phil behaves so cruelly he drives them both to tears, revelling in their hurt and rousing his fellow cowhands to laughter - all except his brother George, who comforts Rose then returns to marry her. As Phil swings between fury and cunning, his taunting of Rose takes an eerie form - he hovers at the edges of her vision, whistling a tune she can no longer play. His mockery of her son is more overt, amplified by the cheering of Phil's cowhand disciples. Then Phil appears to take the boy under his wing. Is this latest gesture a softening that leaves Phil exposed, or a plot twisting further into menace?

One more for the haven’t seen pile. I just assume it is about a literal dog or something.

BOT User Review:

A very well-made film from Jane Campion that takes an unusual, and effective, approach to the Western (one that will no doubt test the patience of those who expect the more pulse-pounding material typically found within the genre). The chilly Phil is the kind of character that's within Benedict Cumberbatch's wheelhouse: while he's definitely a very good actor, I often find him to be a bit too cold of a presence, and that can make even characters like Doctor Strange to be a bit off-putting at times. That clinical aura fits perfectly here for a performance that hits all the right notes without ever overplaying or underplaying the part, and results in what's easily his best work to date IMO. He receives effective support from Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons (real life couple playing a detached married one on screen), and a revelatory Kodi Smit-McPhee. Many of the shots here are absolutely incredible too. It's not a movie that's easy to fully embrace, but it achieves most of what it sets out to do and lingers once it concludes. B+ @filmlover

The best film of 2021 along with Worst Person in the World. @Flopped

• Like 5

Spoiler

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME

MhsKEOT.png

wJ3vp2J.png

Plot description: Peter Parker's secret identity is revealed to the entire world. Desperate for help, Peter turns to Doctor Strange to make the world forget that he is Spider-Man. The spell goes horribly wrong and shatters the multiverse, bringing in monstrous villains that could destroy the world.

The culmination of 3 different Spider-Man franchises. The movie started a new Certified Fresh and A- or higher Cinemascores for Marvel. Still haven’t seen it, but maybe soon.

BOT User Review:

I really thought this was gonna be a bloated mess and it really wasn't. The most unexpected thing is how much self-contained and low stakes it is. I know Dr. Strange is there and the multiverse shenanigans will be a huge thing going on but here they are treated as just an elaborate plot device to get all the Spider-villains (and heroes) together and then Dr. Strange fucks off so they can have a celebration of Spider-man's 20 year cinematic history. There could easily be a version of this where it's a spring-board for MCU phase 4, the classic villains playing second fiddle to some huge cosmic power, the old Peters have a big crowdpleasing cameo and the whole thing pumps you up for the multiverse of madness and so on. But it really is just about the spidermen trying to send the rogues back to their dimension and whether Peter and his friends will go to MIT. That was refreshing.

Ofc nostalgia is the main reason it exists and maybe about 50% of it only works outside of the in-movie narrative. There's also some too far stuff with the fan-service, with the most egregious being the May death scene where she literaly has to say the Uncle Ben catch-phrase. It was supossed to play as a huge emotional moment but it felt silly and kinda hollow to me. But for the most part the fan-service actually felt way more substantial than most attempts at it over the last decade. Like I already said the more I think about it, the entire back half of this movie plays like an engrossing celebration of all things Spider-man. Especially after Tobey and Garfield show up for the entire 3d act the only thing I could compare it was the OG Avengers final battle. I think even if parts of this movie don't age well once the nostalgia high wears off, that final 30 minutes would still be close to perfect execution of the premise. Like Avengers first team up this felt like A MOMENT.

I'm not a big fan of the previous MCU spidey movies, they 're mid-tier Marvel at best to me, but this one I can get behind. Also not so sure about where things are going next. The reboot of Tom's Spider-man was sweet as a full circle moment, making this even more of a "finale" of sorts, but I kinda don't want that to be the new status quo. Ofc I would prefer a lower stakes less cosmic Spider-man, but they gotta make at least MJ and Ned remember him with some multiverse shit by the half-point of the next movie. It 'll be sad and kinda creepy if Peter just befriends them again without them having a clue about their history.

Jon Watts also helped. @Joel M

I'm still in disbelief that this one lone film solved all of my problems with the MCU take on Spidey. I was expecting something cute, fun and MCU fan servicey like Far From Home but I ended up getting my favorite MCU film which was touching, clever and Spider-Man fan servicey (got my criteria straight yo).

I fucking loved Aunt May's last scene. Marisa Tomei obviously wanted out and with Peter moving out, she would have become even more tertiary as a character so it was fine that they killed her off. The "With great power" line was just narration from the original comics which was later retconned to be Uncle Ben's words, so it's refreshing that it was Aunt May who got to say it this time around and whose death will most define Peter and his epic hero journey. I wish we had gotten more of her in the previous films but whatever.

And finally my boy Andrew was done justice. 😪 Foxx got some solid material too. A much deserved closure for the TASM characters, with a completely unexpected Miles reference that hit different. @Spidey Freak

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

Spoiler

WEST SIDE STORY

DlGb6PZ.png

UbNQcaG.png

Plot Description: Manhattan, Upper West Side, 1957. Against the backdrop of the decaying tenements in the San Juan Hill neighbourhood and the constant threat of the wrecking ball, two warring gangs--tough Riff's Jets and swaggering Bernardo's Puerto Rican Sharks--fight for supremacy. Now, with a once-and-for-all, winner-takes-all rumble on the cards, an unexpected whirlwind romance at the high-school dance between former Jet brawler Tony and Bernardo's delicate little sister María sets the stage for an all-out turf war. But what's a gang without its territory? Above all, when the future is uncertain, what's hope without love?.

BOT User Review:

A wonder. The story has remained terribly relevant, Steven Spielberg offers new generations a version very close to the original, in which his staging unfolds with this grace and this magic that belongs only to him. @avensis

I've never seen the original nor am I a big musical guy.... this thing RULED. I was enthralled from start to finish. I'd say it's Spielberg's best since Catch Me.

His blocking and camera work was giving me the tingles.  @RichWS

Man, that shit was fucking GREAT @Cmasterclay

A

Perfectly cast, coupled with stellar acting. Everything else was top-notch as well, from the choreography to cinematography. West Side Story is an excellent example of why remakes are not always bad things and can even represent new or better takes on the source material. Another feather in Spielberg's cap. @lilmac

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

AND THE WINNER IS

Spoiler

ᑐᑌᑎᕮ

CN3TNRd.png

agFjIBw.png

Plot Description: A mythic and emotionally charged hero's journey, "Dune" tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence-a commodity capable of unlocking humanity's greatest potential-only those who can conquer their fear will survive.

1.png

Could it have been anything else? Denis Villenueve’s adaptation of half of an unfilmable novel was one with plenty of passion online and on this forum. Enough to get it to #1 here.

hO2W59N0UnO4vOFadbSvMPQXMWjGrNkL1kJB5cOr

2023 is set up really well with Dune 2 versus Oppenheimer. May the best director win.

BOT User Review:

I greatly enjoyed it but the ending is deflating if for no other reason than the second part isn’t even greenlit, let alone in production. If DUNE PART 2 was already slated for an Oct/holiday release next year, it’d sit with me better. As it stands right now, it feels incomplete.

Very few quibbles other than that, except of course to say there’s lots of stuff I’d like to see more or (or that was cut entirely). But what’s there on screen is pretty much great and the tech aspects are sensational.

I’m not sure how it’ll play for the uninitiated — I think they’ll like most of it but it does end on a quieter, more leisurely note and I don’t know how they’ll feel about that. (It’s much better than the non-endings in MATRIX RELOADED and DH1, but those also had the benefit of the conclusion already being lined up for release).

The sooner WB greenlights PART 2, the better. @Plain Old Tele

I want more blockbusters without a 3 act structure. 9/10 @WrathOfHan

Really enjoyed it for 90 percent of the runtime and was more impressed than even I expected. Thought it falls off after Duncan Idaho gets killed and it moves from an urgent focus on politics/religion/family dynamics into a straight hero's journey. @Cmasterclay

loved it- splendid worldbuilding

9/10 @Daxtreme

Dune Part 1 is the greatest film ever created and Timothee Chalamet is the most beautiful man in the world @Eric Says Trans Rights

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

The Top 50 spoilered

Spoiler
  Movie
1 Dune
2 West Side Story
3 Spider-Man: No Way Home
4 No Time to Die
5 Drive My Car
6 The Last Duel
7 Belle
8 The Power Of The Dog
9 Tick Tick Boom
10 The Green Knight
11 Licorice Pizza
12 Free Guy
13 The Suicide Squad
14 Luca
15 A Quiet Place Part II
16 Encanto
17 The Worst Person In The World
18 Pig
19 Matrix Resurrections
20 Shang-chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
21 Malignant
22 Belfast
23 The Mitchells vs The Machines
24 King Richard
25 In the Heights
26 Ghostbusters: Afterlife
27 Zack Snyder's Justice League
28 Godzilla vs Kong
29 Venom: Let there be carnage
30 CODA
31 Red Rocket
32 Spencer
33 Titane
34 The French Dispatch
35 The Tragedy Of Macbeth
36 Black Widow
37 The Eternals
38 Nobody
39 Cruella
40 Last Night In Soho
41 Old
42 Wrath Of Man
43 C’mon C’mon
44 Nightmare Alley
45 Judas and the Black Messiah
46 Raya and the Last Dragon
47 The Card Counter
48 Candyman
49 Don’t Look Up
50 The Battle at Lake Changjin

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

STREAMING #1

Hide contents

THE POWER OF THE DOG

mVEF6vP.png

UGiDa1n.png

Plot details: Severe, pale-eyed, handsome, Phil Burbank is brutally beguiling. All of Phil's romance, power and fragility is trapped in the past and in the land: He can castrate a bull calf with two swift slashes of his knife; he swims naked in the river, smearing his body with mud. He is a cowboy as raw as his hides. The year is 1925. The Burbank brothers are wealthy ranchers in Montana. At the Red Mill restaurant on their way to market, the brothers meet Rose, the widowed proprietress, and her impressionable son Peter. Phil behaves so cruelly he drives them both to tears, revelling in their hurt and rousing his fellow cowhands to laughter - all except his brother George, who comforts Rose then returns to marry her. As Phil swings between fury and cunning, his taunting of Rose takes an eerie form - he hovers at the edges of her vision, whistling a tune she can no longer play. His mockery of her son is more overt, amplified by the cheering of Phil's cowhand disciples. Then Phil appears to take the boy under his wing. Is this latest gesture a softening that leaves Phil exposed, or a plot twisting further into menace?

One more for the haven’t seen pile. I just assume it is about a literal dog or something.

BOT User Review:

A very well-made film from Jane Campion that takes an unusual, and effective, approach to the Western (one that will no doubt test the patience of those who expect the more pulse-pounding material typically found within the genre). The chilly Phil is the kind of character that's within Benedict Cumberbatch's wheelhouse: while he's definitely a very good actor, I often find him to be a bit too cold of a presence, and that can make even characters like Doctor Strange to be a bit off-putting at times. That clinical aura fits perfectly here for a performance that hits all the right notes without ever overplaying or underplaying the part, and results in what's easily his best work to date IMO. He receives effective support from Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons (real life couple playing a detached married one on screen), and a revelatory Kodi Smit-McPhee. Many of the shots here are absolutely incredible too. It's not a movie that's easy to fully embrace, but it achieves most of what it sets out to do and lingers once it concludes. B+ @filmlover

The best film of 2021 along with Worst Person in the World. @Flopped

this streaming exclusive is playing at multiple theaters near me

• Haha 1