BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

46 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Captain Marvel was a divisive character, and Wanda has been in the MCU for almost a decade, is popular online, and is alive. Black Widow is popular, but that’s like saying Iron Man is more popular than Thor. Only one is active in the franchise rn.

Can I say that Okoye and probably Shuri are more popular than both...

I think Okoye beats Shuri for shear bad-ass-ness...

9 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Going to be close... Needs probably $26M+ Saturday to get over $60, which is +55% Fri. That's a lower bump than most May MCU films, but also seems to be playing less to families, so within realm of possibilities

Even in best case scenario, will have fallen behind CACW in total gross ($296) by Sunday, if not Saturday

That $60-$62 range seems a bit ambitious, but looks like it could have just enough juice to cross $60M when actuals come in (unless Sunday has a larger than typical drop)

Edited by M37

All I’m hearing is ‘give the masses what the expect or face diminishing box office returns’ which is actually depressing af. 

it’s kind of accurate too, but for all the talk over the horror, scares etc - that was actually the best thing about it for me. 

• Like 5

Doctor Strange still has a chance at $400M because the light schedule (and the fact everything else out right now is starting to make their exit) means it's gonna be around for a while. Here's the schedule until Thor comes out:

May 20: Downton Abbey, Men

May 27: Top Gun, Bob's Burgers

June 10: Jurassic World

June 17: Lightyear

June 24: Elvis, The Black Phone

July 1: Minions

It's going to be #1 again next weekend, and will be staying in the top 5 until late June (Downton Abbey is seeing a drop from the first one, neither Men or Bob's Burgers will be much of a threat to anything). More likely than not it'll still be in the top 10 when Thor opens for potential double feature money.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Thought Eternals was just a blip but it looks like Marvel’s “plot armor” is slowly deteriorating right before our eyes

Luckily for them the competition (DC) is stuck in a perpetual cycle of ineptitude that it doesn’t even matter 

this is really bad news for Cinema... MCU is was one of the major things keeping people coming to cinemas.

who can save us now?

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

this is really bad news for Cinema... MCU is was one of the major things keeping people coming to cinemas.

who can save us now?

The studios need to grow balls and learn what to green light and how to promote it. EEAAO shows that people still crave original movies in theaters, but something like The Northman will always have a limited audience. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Doctor Strange still has a chance at $400M because the light schedule (and the fact everything else out right now is starting to make their exit) means it's gonna be around for a while. Here's the schedule until Thor comes out:

It's going to be #1 again next weekend, and will be staying in the top 5 until late June (Downton Abbey is seeing a drop from the first one, neither Men or Bob's Burgers will be much of a threat to anything). More likely than not it'll still be in the top 10 when Thor opens for potential double feature money.

Strange could also do double features with Burgers, Lightyear and Thor.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

who can save us now?

Spoiler

MV5BZmQ1NDZjMTktMjFhZC00ZGY5LWEyMTMtNDhk

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

who can save us now?

james cameron diving GIF by South Park

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Top 10 in this weaker market doesn’t mean all that much. Dropping like 50% each week, MoM could be at or below 1M by Thor (roughly $60/$32/$16/$8/$4/$2/$1M) 

Would think it’s more likely MoM gets double feature with Lightyear, then LY with Thor, or at best a mix (like Incredibles 2/Infinity War/Ant-Man & Wasp in 2018), unless Disney mandates the DF 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This should be a great weekend. I’m hoping The Black Phone is a return to box office form for horror.

And I’m not even an Elvis fan, but that trailer makes me feel emotional. Shame about the runtime, but I’m still looking forward to it.

• Like 1

• Like 1