EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/6-9) // 12.4m Mon // 13.76m Tue // 12.4m Wed // 9.0m Thurs

54 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

What's up with the time travel in the title? how'd we get thurs numbers already

18 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Th should head for about 11.4M based on what I’m seeing right now, update later tonight.

We started the summer wondering if Maverick’s domestic total could match JWD’s opening weekend. 

We’ll end it watching to see if Maverick can actually chase down the Jurassic franchise’s top grosser. 

Jurassic Park Dinosaurs GIF by Digg

The best of the best

High Five Tom Cruise GIF by Hollywood Suite

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Btw, how do theaters in the US manage to balance out earnings and divide theaters according to demand when another Blockbuster comes out? Here in a theater in my city in Malaysia JWD literally has 64 showings on Saturday all of them with 60-90% of seats sold. But the weekend before this TGM had a +9% in Malaysia overall and I couldn't book any 4d showings since they were all sold out. But all they left for TGM this Saturday in that theater is 2 standard showings. And that's how much showings you get as a number 2 movie here usually esp when these blockbusters come out. So you can imagine the weirder schedules and non existent showings the rest of the movies get.

1 hour ago, Hilpkioy said:

Btw, how do theaters in the US manage to balance out earnings and divide theaters according to demand when another Blockbuster comes out? Here in a theater in my city in Malaysia JWD literally has 64 showings on Saturday all of them with 60-90% of seats sold. But the weekend before this TGM had a +9% in Malaysia overall and I couldn't book any 4d showings since they were all sold out. But all they left for TGM this Saturday in that theater is 2 standard showings. And that's how much showings you get as a number 2 movie here usually esp when these blockbusters come out. So you can imagine the weirder schedules and non existent showings the rest of the movies get.

I have to imagine it's as simple as the contracts from studios are a lot more strict. 

1 hour ago, Hilpkioy said:

For blockbusters, the studios sign an agreement with the large chains. It's typical they get the premium screen(s) for 2 weeks (depending if another blockbuster is coming out the second weekend). For standard screens, usually they have to show it for x weeks, x times per day, and this will depend on the size of a particular theater. Studios get secret shoppers to go to theaters to make sure the movie is playing. Even if not a single ticket is sold for a  viewing, theaters usually have to play the movie (apparently some will just run the sound). 

If a released movie is doing really good, you want to keep showing it, and the next blockbuster comes along, you have to follow the contract, at least for that first week. The second weekend you can typically break the contract, but with a stiff penalty. If the movie bombs, the studio won't mind (too much) if you break the contract, since the penalty might bring in more revenue than empty premium seats. If the movie doesn't bomb, but just isn't performing as good as another blockbuster, then backing out of the contract will usually harm your relationship with the studio. If a movie *really* bombs, the studio will usually waive the penalties and let the theaters do what they want, at least for premium screens. Very rarely the studio will completely pull the film (which can cost the studios millions for a wide release). 

Also, even though a movie may bomb when talking about its budget or projected revenues, if they are bringing in millions, theaters don't really care. If Jurassic does $90m this weekend and $40m next, we'd likely consider it a bomb, but theaters will be happy with their cut. You look at Morbius and I imagine theaters aren't too broken up about it, since they still made money (though with the re-expansion, some theaters may not be happy about it, but I imagine the studio offered a lucrative enough deal to make them do it). 

With regards to Top Gun specifically, theaters have no real interest in showing it on premium screens this weekend. Jurassic World will easily outperform it. There will be a couple chances in the next few months for Top Gun to get premium screens. So having a short window for premium formats helps shift some of the demand to quieter periods, and potentially with a better revenue split. And keeping Top Gun on premium screens wouldn't increase the audience much; people will just go to standard screens. While the theater misses out on a couple bucks per ticket, they are still selling popcorn. In fact, with more people forced into standard screens, they may spend more money on concessions, so the theaters could make more. Sort of related; this is why you'll see kids movies stay in theaters longer, even if their PTA drops, because the cost of kids tickets is lower, and they are selling a lot of popcorn and other crap.

Now, if it were Morbius opening this weekend, the theaters would probably be a bit miffed about giving it premium screens.

It's been my experience that roughly a third of the screens in larger multiplexes will have basically no audience on a given day (but I'm in Canada, maybe it's different here). They'll be showing films that nobody really wants to see. But it's part of the contract, unfortunately (studios also like the leverage their big titles in order to get smaller films into theaters). This raises the operating costs and lowers the potential revenues for theaters. With shorter windows, I imagine that may be less of an issue these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Best non holiday, non December second Wednesdays of all time: TGM again ahead by quite a huge distance. 

1. Top Gun: Maverick - 12.4M

2. Finding Dory - 10.41M

3. Incredibles 2 - 10.23M

4. Jurassic World - 9.44M

5. The Lion King - 8.81M

6. The Dark Knight - 8.76M

7. Avengers: Endgame - 8.43M

8. Toy Story 4 - 7.70M

9. Inside Out - 7.49M

10. The Dark Knight Rises - 7.33M

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

Interesting, screens here typically fill up very quickly especially during US summer season + Indian (Mostly Tamil) and Chinese films do very well here too so everything is usually in and out very quickly. But unfortunately that deters WOM from being a major factor so we're usually just a Blockbuster market with most films doing the money it needs here and rotating to the next Blockbuster the next week. The 64 showings annoys me(do you really need that much? -.-) but I guess money is money. The one good thing about theaters in Malaysia is 99% of them are in malls (usually on the top floor idk why) and a bunch of lcds all around malls which Malaysians love for the Air con. So theaters here have a lot of foot traffic they can rely on for movies no ones heard of. 

23 minutes ago, krla said:

For blockbusters, the studios sign an agreement with the large chains. It's typical they get the premium screen(s) for 2 weeks (depending if another blockbuster is coming out the second weekend). For standard screens, usually they have to show it for x weeks, x times per day, and this will depend on the size of a particular theater. Studios get secret shoppers to go to theaters to make sure the movie is playing. Even if not a single ticket is sold for a  viewing, theaters usually have to play the movie (apparently some will just run the sound). 

If a released movie is doing really good, you want to keep showing it, and the next blockbuster comes along, you have to follow the contract, at least for that first week. The second weekend you can typically break the contract, but with a stiff penalty. If the movie bombs, the studio won't mind (too much) if you break the contract, since the penalty might bring in more revenue than empty premium seats. If the movie doesn't bomb, but just isn't performing as good as another blockbuster, then backing out of the contract will usually harm your relationship with the studio. If a movie *really* bombs, the studio will usually waive the penalties and let the theaters do what they want, at least for premium screens. Very rarely the studio will completely pull the film (which can cost the studios millions for a wide release). 

Also, even though a movie may bomb when talking about its budget or projected revenues, if they are bringing in millions, theaters don't really care. If Jurassic does $90m this weekend and $40m next, we'd likely consider it a bomb, but theaters will be happy with their cut. You look at Morbius and I imagine theaters aren't too broken up about it, since they still made money (though with the re-expansion, some theaters may not be happy about it, but I imagine the studio offered a lucrative enough deal to make them do it). 

With regards to Top Gun specifically, theaters have no real interest in showing it on premium screens this weekend. Jurassic World will easily outperform it. There will be a couple chances in the next few months for Top Gun to get premium screens. So having a short window for premium formats helps shift some of the demand to quieter periods, and potentially with a better revenue split. And keeping Top Gun on premium screens wouldn't increase the audience much; people will just go to standard screens. While the theater misses out on a couple bucks per ticket, they are still selling popcorn. In fact, with more people forced into standard screens, they may spend more money on concessions, so the theaters could make more. Sort of related; this is why you'll see kids movies stay in theaters longer, even if their PTA drops, because the cost of kids tickets is lower, and they are selling a lot of popcorn and other crap.

Now, if it were Morbius opening this weekend, the theaters would probably be a bit miffed about giving it premium screens.

It's been my experience that roughly a third of the screens in larger multiplexes will have basically no audience on a given day (but I'm in Canada, maybe it's different here). They'll be showing films that nobody really wants to see. But it's part of the contract, unfortunately (studios also like the leverage their big titles in order to get smaller films into theaters). This raises the operating costs and lowers the potential revenues for theaters. With shorter windows, I imagine that may be less of an issue these days.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Best non holiday, non December second Wednesdays of all time: TGM again ahead by quite a huge distance. 

1. Top Gun: Maverick - 12.4M

2. Finding Dory - 10.41M

3. Incredibles 2 - 10.23M

4. Jurassic World - 9.44M

5. The Lion King - 8.81M

6. The Dark Knight - 8.76M

7. Avengers: Endgame - 8.43M

8. Toy Story 4 - 7.70M

9. Inside Out - 7.49M

10. The Dark Knight Rises - 7.33M

Uhhhh this is nuts lmfao

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

Is $60m or $65m more likely for this weekend, do we think?

It's a tossup imo, although most would probably say closer to 60m is more likely. Personally, given this film's track record, I'm hedging my bets towards the higher end of that range

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hilpkioy said:

Interesting, screens here typically fill up very quickly especially during US summer season + Indian (Mostly Tamil) and Chinese films do very well here too so everything is usually in and out very quickly. But unfortunately that deters WOM from being a major factor so we're usually just a Blockbuster market with most films doing the money it needs here and rotating to the next Blockbuster the next week. The 64 showings annoys me(do you really need that much? -.-) but I guess money is money. The one good thing about theaters in Malaysia is 99% of them are in malls (usually on the top floor idk why) and a bunch of lcds all around malls which Malaysians love for the Air con. So theaters here have a lot of foot traffic they can rely on for movies no ones heard of. 

I was shocked to see how theater chain treat TGM like a flop in Malaysia. That movie had its 2nd weekend flat from the opening yet I estimate the movie lose 70% of the showtime to JWD in this coming weekend.

Hopefully they will return some showtime back to TGM when JWD stablise next week and TGM will have lesser competition in the subsequent four week (only Minion and LY are coming in between that target different demo) ahead until Thor4.   

• Like 1

Skydance and Paramount’s Top Gun: Maverick earned another $12.71 million on Wednesday, down just 14% from last Wednesday and 8% from yesterday, bringing its domestic cume up to $334.5 million.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2022/06/09/tom-cruise-top-gun-maverick-marvel-doctor-strange-2-and-everything-everywhere-pass-box-office-milestones/?sh=50cb2d9d2d02

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 6

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Skydance and Paramount’s Top Gun: Maverick earned another $12.71 million on Wednesday, down just 14% from last Wednesday and 8% from yesterday, bringing its domestic cume up to $334.5 million.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2022/06/09/tom-cruise-top-gun-maverick-marvel-doctor-strange-2-and-everything-everywhere-pass-box-office-milestones/?sh=50cb2d9d2d02

lol this is getting ridiculous