Eric Quinn

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

When will the snowstorm hit and peak in the more populated areas and states? Friday or Saturday? 

All things considered if its impact is already considerable (or in the verge of happening) in a bunch of parts of the country then smth like 13M wouldnt be disasterous. Such external factors seem more than enough to explain a 10% drop instead of increasing a bit 

Edited by Gkalaitza

1 hour ago, Sheldon Cr said:

There is wisdom in your words brother Alex. The Kal gets the feeling though, that once storms calm down A2 bo kicks up and stays steady.

These compadres rooting for the sequel  to fail will once again get that huge wakeup call man.

Dang- Looks like those 750m-900+ m dom predicts may also be back on the table.🦝🏋‍♀️ A2 eadily Crosses 600m + ww also. Goodbye to BP 2 and Ds2 ww by next week. 

Brothers Jimbo, NcSoft,  Brother stewart, Kayom, Bruce Diginam and all our Pandorians lets focus on a 6.2-7x multiplier...

CMON JAKE Sully and Family!

"HOO- RAH!"

Lol Babylon going to land right in my 12-15m OW. Hah hah. Horrendous  looking film.

you sounds just like Kal-El back in the Mojo days 🥴

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

(besides @sfran43 not being around to create them)

I miss her. Are me, @TalismanRing @BoxOfficeFangrl the only ones still standing? (hi @Sam @Claire of Themyscira @terrestrial 🥺)

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Bringing back dailies during runs that warrant it and/or BOT traffic reaches a point where they make sense again is probably a question directed toward @Cap , @ZeeSoh@Eric in Boots or other members of Staff. :)

personally, I like the week threads. 

even when we were super busy, the weekdays threads tend to be smaller. 

that said, while I’m very excited this thread has hit 100 pages, I would gently remind people, without calling out their names, although you know who you are, that there is more than one thread on this forum. And some of the discussion about upcoming movies or television could have absolutely been posted on other parts of the Forum. 

Just sayin

:sparta:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What was the A2 Thursday number? 14 to  14.5?

Also, maybe the inclement weather is already hurting the box office a bit? in 2016 some decreased Wednesday to Thursday but many films increased as well.

Data as of Dec 23, 1:38 PST
TD YD Release Daily %± YD %± LW Theaters Avg To Date Days Distributor
1 1 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $16,773,075 +12.1% - 4,157 $4,034 $221,999,674 7 Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
2 2 Sing $9,602,465 -12.8% - 4,022 $2,387 $20,612,640 2 Universal Pictures
3 4 Passengers $3,218,629 -21.6% - 3,478 $925 $7,325,201 2 Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE)
4 3 Assassin's Creed $2,868,997 -37.9% - 2,902 $988 $7,492,398 2 Twentieth Century Fox
5 5 Moana $2,574,204 +21.1% +98.2% 3,053 $843 $173,032,191 30 Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
6 6 Office Christmas Party $1,303,128 +5% +0.8% 3,059 $425 $37,039,602 14 Paramount Pictures
7 7 Collateral Beauty $905,638 +6% - 3,028 $299 $11,001,500 7 Warner Bros.
8 8 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them $838,125 +14.1% +9.6% 1,966 $426 $211,305,251 35 Warner Bros.
9 10 La La Land $683,888 +13.4% +1,064.5% 200 $3,419 $7,882,711 14 Lionsgate

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

42 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Weekend numbers are going to be extra deflated because of the weather. The drop isn't going to be pretty but I believe that it's going to be rebound big time once the weather gets better.

Let's hope so, Noctis. Thinking we'll start seeing the big rebound start 12/25 and then all of next week should be great numbers for everything currently in release.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

And the criticism I was talking about that was showing up on social media made to CNN:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/22/entertainment/avatar-2-way-of-water-indigenous-boycott-cec/index.html 

Mainstream media really need to stop cherrypicking five random tweets and calling it an "outrage". It's really dishonest and can be dangerous.

But yes, Avatar is another piece of American media that takes the stories and histories of ethnic minorities or LGBT people, scrubs them out damn near completely, and packages them in a way that's palatable to a white audience. Roger Rabbit, Shark Tale (replacing Gay with Vegetarian is still funny), Carnival Row, Bright, Cats Don't Dance, and most notably X-Men (90's X-Men was probably the gayest kids cartoon ever made until Steven Universe). They're not as helpful as filmmakers like to believe. I don't think many people were aware that X-Men was an outdated metaphor for racism until Deadpool said it outright. I didn't pick up on Shark Tale until I was in my 20's.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Christmas Box Office is truly in the trash. I expect drops across the board yesterday and a very muted Christmas weekend. This once in a lifetime event that is hitting America is gonna keep people at home. We are not in the 2010s anymore. People will just use one of their many streaming services to watch a movie in family.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Christmas Box Office is truly in the trash. I expect drops across the board yesterday and a very muted Christmas weekend. This once in a lifetime event that is hitting America is gonna keep people at home. We are not in the 2010s anymore. People will just use one of their many streaming services to watch a movie in family.

Storm will have passed by Christmas Day. I think most are getting hit hard today. I expect to start seeing numbers shoot up in a huge way on Sunday and then all next week should be nice numbers. 

Remember when the original Avatar came out and the opening weekend was deflated because there was also a snow storm back then and then in its second weekend it dropped something absurd like 7% or something? The weather is definitely going to affect it this weekend but New year's weekend I'm sure it's going to rebound quite nicely. And for what it's worth most of the province of Ontario which includes places like Toronto and Ottawa are going to be walloped with a pretty good storm starting today at around 8:00 a.m. and it's supposed to go right through until around Sunday morning

• Like 7