Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

WB need to find a way to get him back. The people he hated are all gone. 

It’s wild how bad Zaslav is at maintaining/retaining talent. Nolan may have gone to Universal due to Killar’s fault but Gerwig is doing her next two movies at Netflix.

• Like 1

Just now, ringedmortality said:

Nolan's gotta be happy with the way Universal handled this, and WB is going through some shit right now. I don't see why Nolan would leave Universal.

I mean, I doubt WB is complaining this weekend with all the money they're making thanks to Queen Gerwig either lol. Even if it seems inevitable Blue Beetle will eat into those profits a bit in a couple weeks.

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

Absolutely agree on Oppy, the -15% I penciled in might be underselling it, but think Barbie has a tougher time gettting down that low with how much business is being done after 9pm, difficult to match on a Sunday even with stronger daytime 

Here are the Sunday drops for Nolan’s July movies. The average would be around 14%, so you’re in a good spot at 15% right now. 

TDK  8.5%

Inception 11.8%

TDKR  10.5%

Dunkirk 24.6%

It would seem that Oppenheimer has way more of a capacity and screen count shortage than Dunkirk, so it’s possible that it plays closer to the other 3 movies listed here. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

The argument for moving movies to plug in inevitable gaps next summer makes more sense.  

I guess they’ve got until around the end of August to wait and see if the strike is still going. Then they’ll have to take whatever action they’re going to with moving the slates around. 

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Oppenheimer making $75M+ after the struggles for the adult drama in recent years goes to show that type of movie isn't dead yet, it just takes a little something extra exciting to get folks on board with them. Universal must be thrilled that they managed to secure Nolan and will almost certainly bankroll his next movie now.

Not if WB gets there first! As I've mentioned before, I think the next Nolan will be a joint WB/Universal film. 

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Agafin said:

Man, looking at this list, DC actually did a better job at getting women to watch their movies than Marvel (relatively speaking). That makes The Flash's 76% male audience even more disastrous.

76?! How do you get a movie with supergirl being a prominent character in it to only have a 24% female audience?! Yikes 

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

What a weekend.

Would normally try to pass along official estimates as they come in, but... the only time I could fit in to see Barbie before going back for my 2nd and 3rd Oppenheimer shows is about 30 minutes from now...

So have fun, everyone. 😁

Denzel Washington GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Obviously both movies are performing far better than anyone expected a few months ago, but I think a lot of people simply way over-estimated the likes of Indiana Jones, MI7, etc.

I thought Indy had a chance to blow up big like JW. But I thought at least it's probably end up in the 300s, with a lower end in the mid 200s.... Never thought it would go this low.

MI7 some people thought it would explode because of Top Gun but I always thought it was probably gonna be around the same as the other ones. I feel like it doing so bad is no fault of the movies honestly, just terrible scheduling

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

It’s wild how bad Zaslav is at maintaining/retaining talent. Nolan may have gone to Universal due to Killar’s fault but Gerwig is doing her next two movies at Netflix.

Zaslav isn't in charge of WB as a studio, that De Luca and Abdy. He's in charge of the parent company.

Given WB has signed up M.Night, his daughter, Baz Luhrmann and the director of Barbarian to first look deals. I don't think it's out of the question they can get Nolan back in the fold. If it decides to not to be studio exclusive, I could see them trying to get Jordan Peele and Jason Blum from Universal.

Edited by Jonwo

Not gonna cry over Mission. Made my peace with it.This will not happen with  Part 2.  The  positive surprise Is DIal of Destiny. it lost 1000 screens and looks like it will only drop 40% from last weekend. Yes it is  a financial bomb but it is no The Flash. That movie will not even get to a IM of 2. DOD still has a shot at 180 which is a 3 IM. The WOM seems pretty decent. It's downfall was the Cannes debacle,its budget and lack of Interest to anybody under the age of 40. 

2 hours ago, #ED said:

Gotta love RTH. Hi Baumer :)

Hello everyone! Hope all is well. I couldn’t miss this Nolan weekend here.

This is truly the weekend where the box office is officially back.

So many names making a return in here, it’s like a nostalgic trip.

7 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Deadline's projections still seem low.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

Saturday AM: Refresh for more analysis and chart…At a time when Hollywood fears that the Q3 and Q4 2023 release schedule will fall apart due to the dual SAG-AFTRA and WGA strikes, the motion picture industry is reaping one of the biggest domestic box office weekends on record with Warner Bros.’ Barbie and Universal’s Oppenheimer lighting up an estimated $308M+ overall three-day. That’s the biggest weekend post pandemic easily burying the weekend when Spider-Man: No Way Home opened over Dec. 17-19, 2021 and all pics tottaled $282.9M. Per Comscore, this weekend will be the fourth biggest of all-time after Avengers: Endgame frame (April 26-28, 2019; $402M), Avengers: Infinity War‘s weekend (April 27-29, 2018; $314.8M) and the weekend when Star Wars: Force Awakens debuted (all pics over Dec. 18-20, 2015 grossing $313.2M).

Barbie has a lot of bragging rights beyond owning a dream house: Warners says $150M+ still for Barbie, but industry calculations believe it’s well over $161M, any way you cut it, it’s the biggest opening weekend of 2023 to date after an opening day of $70.5M. Oppenheimer is eyeing $77M after a $33M opening day — just mindblowing that a 3-hour adult drama could emulate what’s akin to a superhero movie in its first installment. It’s a testament to the fan power of Christopher Nolan, which he accumulated from his Dark Knight days, the 18-34 bunch here still strong at 59%. Both movies get solid A CinemaScores. Note, whatever the industry is calling safely here this morning could payout like a broken slot machine by tonight: Whenever there’s heat on a movie, it just keeps going up and up and up at the box office.

One distrib points out that never before in the history of box office has a weekend seen one movie open to $100M+ and a second to $50M+.

Barbie seems fine, it’s WB still lowballing, But they’re being really pessimistic on Oppy, like +9%/-21% when already Friday is undervalued because there just were not enough seats, Saturday presales are ridiculous 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Nolan and Gerwig about to get FAT paydays. 

Does Gerwig (and the cast) have a backend deal, do we know?

Nolan and the majors in Oppenheimer are definitely making bank, but curious about Barbie.