Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

17 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

NC17 is commercial suicide and I think it limits the amount of theatres willing to show it, it’s bizarrely just easier from a marketing and distribution standpoint to make it “unrated”. 

Yeah, some theaters simply just won't play NC-17 movies.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ooh why is it unrated in the US? Why don’t they give it an NC17? 

The NC-17 was created to be distinct from the X rating but it got functionally treated that way: some chains wouldn't show NC-17 films and broadcast/print media often refused to advertise them. So NC-17 became an essentially useless rating for studios and movies either got edited down to an R, or went unrated.

There's slightly more leeway—some (though not all) places that won't engage with anything NC-17 will grudgingly permit unrated material. Terrifier 3 is probably still brushing up against old industry stigmas about unrated films and that's part of its lower theater count.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

I think the stigma around "Unrated" movies has been dropping a bit in recent years, as unrated foreign films and event screenings (including the Beyonce concert movie!) don't seek out ratings and still get a nationwide release. Terrifier 3 is different from those cases since it's trying to avoid an NC-17 rating, but that means that most theaters will at worst treat it as an R rating (which is what my local Cinemark is doing, just requiring anyone under 17 to have a parent/guardian). 

For months, only the bigger Regal stadium was going to show Terrifier 3 in my city, but my much closer smaller Regal just put up showtimes and will be getting it too. I'm really happy now since the smaller theater takes me 5 minutes to drive to, while bigger theater takes an hour round trip.

Joker floppage is clearly causing more theaters to show Terrifier. For indie films, Terrifier is starting to reach the edges of mainstream which makes me happy. I was impressed what the director was able to do with the first film with a $55,000 budget, and thought Terrifier 2 was a massive improvement in terms of characters, story, and scope.

Im really excited to see how much money Terrifier 3 can make this weekend!

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

I'm back!

I know this is not the weekend thread, but in regards to Joker: Folie à Deux's opening, I think I'm just gonna pretend from now on that a big movie wasn't released on the weekend of October 4-6, 2024. 

So glad that I stayed away from the numbers all weekend.

There will be a Terrifier 3 update from me tonight. Looking forward to seeing how that one is doing and though I'm not expecting $20M, that would be insanely welcome after an atrocious start to October. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Since it's mentioned, Terrifier 3 only added a split screen of PLF at my PLF Cinemark (so it's now on 1.5 screens)

Joker lost that PLF and drops to 2 screens (1 PLF, 1 not) this weekend,

The Wild Robot gets the other 1/2 of the PLF screen (the morning showings) and gets 2 total screens.

Filling out 14 screens when you do drop Joker to 2 and having nothing else more than 2 is rough at this time, but my theater has done it with international films and some interesting indie ones...for a look at Friday, it's...

NEW

Terrifier 3 - 1.5 screens (1/2 PLF, 1 full)

Vettaiyan - 1.5 screens (foreign)

Saturday Night - 1 screen (new here)

My Hero Academia - 1 screen

Piece by Piece - 1.25 screens (an extra morning show)

Average Joe - 1 showing (no idea what this is)

Jigra - 1/2 screen (foreign)

Jun Kook - 1 showing (foreign)

So, that's 8 new movies for the holiday weekend - dang!

In carryover, Joker gets 2 screens, The Wild Robot gets 2 screens, BeetleJuice BeetleJuice gets 1 screen, Transformers One gets 1 screen, White Bird gets 1/2 screen, Speak No Evil gets a 1/2 screen, and Sam and Colby: The Legends of the Paranormal gets a few showings (what is this?)...yes, when you have nothing folks will watch, show everything and hope for the best...

Drops were Heart of a Servant (another what?), Megalopolis (b/c even Sam and Colby apparently is a better keep), My Old Ass, Bocchi the Rock, and 3 other foreign films...

Man, you can tell it's fall - throw anything at the wall, see if anyone watches it...when they don't, try and throw stuff at the wall again...rinse and repeat all month...

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

NC17 is commercial suicide and I think it limits the amount of theatres willing to show it, it’s bizarrely just easier from a marketing and distribution standpoint to make it “unrated”. 

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, some theaters simply just won't play NC-17 movies.

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The NC-17 was created to be distinct from the X rating but it got functionally treated that way: some chains wouldn't show NC-17 films and broadcast/print media often refused to advertise them. So NC-17 became an essentially useless rating for studios and movies either got edited down to an R, or went unrated.

There's slightly more leeway—some (though not all) places that won't engage with anything NC-17 will grudgingly permit unrated material. Terrifier 3 is probably still brushing up against old industry stigmas about unrated films and that's part of its lower theater count.

Without meaning to offend anyone, this all sounds so American lol.

I knew NC17 was a naughty word basically, but “oh it’s fine, is not even rated at all, we’ll take it!”. Have to laugh. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Average Joe - 1 showing (no idea what this is)

Average Joe, from the director of God's Not Dead and the producers of That Duck Dynasty Biopic The Blind! It seems to be a Fathom Event. One of the AMCs here usually attracts a decent audience for that sort of thing but so far it's only sold seats for one Sunday showtime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Without meaning to offend anyone, this all sounds so American lol.

I knew NC17 was a naughty word basically, but “oh it’s fine, is not even rated at all, we’ll take it!”. Have to laugh. 

NC 17 basically means you have to enforce the no kids rule, whereas with no rating you don't have to.

More often than not movies that are unrated here are either borderline PG-13/R or borderline PG/PG-13. Robot Dreams was unrated until it was released to VOD, where it eventually ended up PG-13 just because of a couple middle fingers.

Indiana

Terrifier 3 T-2

Sales      Seats      Shows   
  745      3674   32       

Comps

0.22x Beetlejuice 2 = $2.2m

0.34x IEWU = $2.4m

0.60x Joker 2 = $3.6m

1.66x Trap = $3.7m

AVG = $2.94m

Edited by jeffthehat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, AniNate said:

NC 17 basically means you have to enforce the no kids rule, whereas with no rating you don't have to.

More often than not movies that are unrated here are either borderline PG-13/R or borderline PG/PG-13. Robot Dreams was unrated until it was released to VOD, where it eventually ended up PG-13 just because of a couple middle fingers.

Never ceases to amaze me that having a restrictive rating is too much of a burden for the chain theaters. It's super common here, the cinemas were prepared to turn away anyone underage for Deadpool pretty easily in the UK a couple of months ago

Terrifier 3 California presale update.   

Thursday Oct 10 showings only.   
74 theaters (not nearly exhaustive and new theaters keep popping up but I’m sticking with these 74 theaters).   
232 showings (+47 since T-5).   

T-22 was 1,743 tickets sold.  23.554 tickets per theater or 10.3136 tickets per showing.   

T-17 is 2,352 tickets sold (+34.94%).  31.7838 tickets per theater or 13.917 tickets per showing.    

T-14 is 2,714 tickets sold (+15.39%).  36.676 tickets per theater or 15.598 tickets per showing.   

T-8 is 3,636 tickets sold (+33.97%).  49.14 tickets per theater or 19.76 tickets per showing.  

T-5 (11:20pm EST) is 4,974 tickets sold (+36.80%).  67.22 tickets per theater or 26.89 tickets per showing. 

T-2 (3:10 pm EST) is 6,294 tickets sold (+26.54%).  85.05 tickets per theater or 27.13 tickets per showing. 

Several new theaters added as well as the 47 new showings for these tracked theaters.  Alamo Drafthouse and Cinemark being the most aggressive with # of showings.

4 minutes ago, CompoundTheGains said:

Terrifier 3 California presale update.   

Thursday Oct 10 showings only.   
74 theaters (not nearly exhaustive and new theaters keep popping up but I’m sticking with these 74 theaters).   
232 showings (+47 since T-5).   

T-22 was 1,743 tickets sold.  23.554 tickets per theater or 10.3136 tickets per showing.   

T-17 is 2,352 tickets sold (+34.94%).  31.7838 tickets per theater or 13.917 tickets per showing.    

T-14 is 2,714 tickets sold (+15.39%).  36.676 tickets per theater or 15.598 tickets per showing.   

T-8 is 3,636 tickets sold (+33.97%).  49.14 tickets per theater or 19.76 tickets per showing.  

T-5 (11:20pm EST) is 4,974 tickets sold (+36.80%).  67.22 tickets per theater or 26.89 tickets per showing. 

T-2 (3:10 pm EST) is 6,294 tickets sold (+26.54%).  85.05 tickets per theater or 27.13 tickets per showing. 

Several new theaters added as well as the 47 new showings for these tracked theaters.  Alamo Drafthouse and Cinemark being the most aggressive with # of showings.

A lot of these new showings just popped up too so not very many tickets sold in them yet.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Very curious about first data.

Looking at around 8 hours in, its doing fairly well, but will be hard to comp. It's sold about 12 tickets in my radius.

It's not performing like a big fan rush property, like a comic book film or Dune. Deadpool and Dune both were selling at a much bigger scale. Even Joker was at 35 tickets sold by this point.

But it's well ahead of secondary properties that I hoped to use as comps like KOTPOTA that only sold two tickets on day one.

Even as an in between property, I would have predicted it would be more like the secondary types, so overall, I'd say irs doing well, especially this many days out. But, people tracking wider areas will be a better judge, especially this early.

• Like 1