ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

Eeek, seeing this tonight in IMAX but expectations are now rock bottom. 

And to think the seals at Venice gave this an 11 minute standing ovation lol. Time to keep the festivals for indie films. 

Indiana Jones lost hundreds of millions of dollars and now they’ve been standing clapping for a film with 39% positive reviews. 

• ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Eeek, seeing this tonight in IMAX but expectations are now rock bottom. 

And to think the seals at Venice gave this an 11 minute standing ovation lol. Time to keep the festivals for indie films. 

Indiana Jones lost hundreds of millions of dollars and now they’ve been standing clapping for a film with 39% positive reviews. 

Unless your film has had multiple test screenings with different groups and each received glowing feedback, I would never risk putting a blockbuster to premiere in Venice/Cannes. 

Also, these standing ovations for over 2 minutes sounds so insane to me. Like, what the fuck? 

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

Joker 2 DOM total under Joker OW. It is happening.

Eh...if it manages to hit $51m OW (and judging by the $7m previews it might), then $96m should be done. But the fact that even a $50m-$55m OW doesn't guarantee $100m is WILD. 

Honestly, if they had made this a normal film with only a couple of musical set pieces with Gaga at the center and showing the destruction of Gotham at the hands of Joker/Harley...we would be talking about a film that would easily be doing $20m+ in previews and a $55m+ OD.

The sheer amount of money they have incinerated is gobsmacking. 

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

If Joker 2 is a badly received movie by both critics & moviegoers, wouldn’t it encourage audiences to see a much better movie that is still in theaters? Like The Wild Robot for example. 👩🏻‍💼💁🏻‍♀️

The Wild Robot's third weekend will be higher than the Joker's second weekend IMO.

That film deserves to do $400m+ DOM but I just want it to hit $150m. Insanely deserved. I also don't think the release date was optimal at all. It should have opened in the summer.

I haven't been following movie news and box office for a few months, now I wish I've been following this. You can always count on DC to deliver drama. What a mess. Hope I enjoy the movie, though. But I think I'll only be able to watch it when it's streaming.

2 hours ago, TomThomas said:

General audience completely lost their mind if they think this is worse than Madame Web.

That movie had Dakota and Sydney carrying it at least.

2 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Never would have expected this to be 2024s Babylon. 

It wishes.

4 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

What hurts Joaquin is he now has a reputation of dropping out of movies at the last minute. He’s done it like three times now?

He's at heart a low to mid budget Indie film actor who is now probably uninsurable for Indie films.  Napoleon & Joker 2 now don't bode well for his big budget studio film future.

I think the film's weekend box office ends up under 45m.  The 7m preview number includes early shows.  6m previews x 7 = 42m plus 1m for early access shows.

6 people walked out last night during my 7pm show.  The verified audience score being so low is because I think if you are a fan of the original movie you'll probably hate this, a fan of musicals you'll probably hate this, a fan of comicbook movies you'll probably hate this....I think it's legs are going to be really bad even if the film isnt terrible IMO.

3 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Joker 2 looks so much better than the average comic book movie. It has so many standout performances, and a lot of clever and creative scenes. I just don't understand the panning. I think these comic book fans are a bit married to "their take" on how characters are supposed to be, and it's really stymieing the movie business.

Except - on RT it's current 37% audience score matches it critic's score at 39% and is a bit better than it top critics score at 32%

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Critics pan most DC movies. I just don’t see how a movie with great acting, cinematography, some clever ideas and well executed musical numbers can be getting panned to this degree. Critics are supposed to give artists a bit of room if they try something new writhing a stale genre I thought. No goodwill is being afforded to this movie. 

just because most blockbusters exist for a very specific purpose doesn't mean critics should love something only for the good cinematography. Exactly cause they are critics they watch a lot of movies during the year (the common viewer doesn't even know about) have a good cinematography or some good actor. 

This saga, starting from frist chapter, of all just gives "poser" attitude. Something where everything in it poses as "idea of quality true artisism" and just feels fake. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Unless your film has had multiple test screenings with different groups and each received glowing feedback, I would never risk putting a blockbuster to premiere in Venice/Cannes. 

Also, these standing ovations for over 2 minutes sounds so insane to me. Like, what the fuck? 

i read often this. Where applauses are happening in venice and cannes are screenings with all the cast where 70% of the people in the room are other directors, actors. people of the movie industry, journalists (not critics), influencers and any kind of invited person.

About the applauses lenght. When the movie end people start to applause, then the director stands up and says hi to the room and people applude him for a minute, then an actor stand up and says hi and people make 1 minute of applause for him etc...

what's strange or not explainable? It's like when you see a theater show or a play and then all the cast comes again on stage to thanks the audience. It's pretty normal to have at any random theater show 10 minutes of applause or more. It's a very similar situation.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Holy damn at the Audience Score for Joker! Even Borderlands has a higher Audience Score. What the hell is happening?

The first Joker had more than 600 reviews on RT, while this one barely has 140 and it's already at 39% on the Tomatometer. How low can it get?