kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

Is Cavill the one they're grooming to take over?

Loved the trailer!It's amazing how after all these years i want to see these movies...and i am not a Cruise fan but gotta give the man credit.

And let's get real  if this is Cruise's last (which i doubt because this franchise is the only thing Cruise has going on for him atm) they have already casted the replacement...I mean you don't just cast Henry's moustache and have it as a one off.And to be honest,Henry would make for a great replacement.

currently this has more likes than jurrasic park. Does anyone have a youtube account? I suspect the majority of views for MI come from OS. Is it possible to check if you have a yt account?

38 minutes ago, Kraken said:

cavill taking the lead from cruise is probably the quickest way to kill this franchise.

• Like 6

I'm sure they'll try to make it go on without Cruise, but it'd be tough. Not because Ethan Hunt is an interesting character – in fact he's a decidedly boring character — but because by now Cruise doing these big stunts himself has become part of the appeal. Not many leading men are going to be down for that.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

cavill taking the lead from cruise is probably the quickest way to kill this franchise.

I agree with this 100%

I have the perfect replacement...

The one and only Ansolo

i think it'd flop no matter what but obviously rebecca ferguson should be the lead if they wanna do a cruise-less one.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Kraken said:

Again, if Bond doesn't want him, Idris Elba should replace Tom Cruise. I don't care if he causes the movie to bomb, I just want to see him do spy stuff.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Tom Cruise is Ethan Hunt. This isn't James Bond where the franchise has a history of switching actors. If they try without Cruise its going to end up like Bourne Legacy. 

I sadly agree. This one is gone once Cruise is gone.

35 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Tom Cruise is Ethan Hunt. This isn't James Bond where the franchise has a history of switching actors. If they try without Cruise its going to end up like Bourne Legacy. 

Stealing a page from @grim22, just make him head of the IMF

• Like 1

I'll have to give this trailer another try when I can.  I didn't see anything special but then again, I was actually into the game so maybe my thoughts were elsewhere :P   So I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and watch it a second time

• Like 1

Trailer looked great. I've seen them all in the theater and Tom and Co. haven't disappointed with this franchise.

I think that if this is Tom's last film they will at some point, shortly, in the near future do a re-cast. If Jack Ryan keeps getting chances and he hasn't had a hit installment since Harrison Ford last played him in the late 90s then Mission Impossible and Ethan Hunt are safely not gone for long. 

I don't see Cruise stepping down just yet. He's only in his mid 50s so I think he could 1-2 more films before handing over the reigns. 

Yeah gonna be near impossible to find someone to replace Cruise for these. Finding a lead who's willing to do these crazy stunts for real would be extremely difficult, practically impossible when you factor in how much Cruise's star power adds to the series. The stunt-work done by Cruise is part of what makes this franchise feel so fresh nowadays. I generally stay away from the CGI vs. Practical debate, but there is obviously something special with these movies knowing Cruise does all this stuff on camera with minimal CGI work (at least compared to other tentpoles). It gives these films a great marketing hook and a tangible feel to them unlike CGI'd to hell Blockbuster #6.

Btw, this will stay very high 100s, low 200s DOM/650-750 WW. There just isn't much room for audience growth. The franchise stands a lot more to lose from a low-quality movie than it does to gain from a high-quality one. But as long as they keep pumping out great action flicks, it'll be fine and make a very consistent profit.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

The old TV show may have some fans, but the MI movies are essentially Tom Cruise doing James Bond. Take away Cruise and, well, you don't have much left.

Another problem is the lack of young(er) action stars ready to take over.

• Like 1

yeah this is Tom Cruise's series. Can't see how it would succeed without him, he is part of the identity, even if in terms of the film itself he clearly isn't a requirement as Ethan Hunt is a completely generic character.