CJohn

Uncharted | February 18, 2022 | Trailer on Page 28!

It blows my mind how this movie had like 7 directors attached in total, and all of them were good, UNTIL THE ONE THEY SETTLED WITH.  Actually hilarious.

Even the Holland attached directors were good. Travis Knight and Dan Trachtenberg. And they end up settling with fucking Ruben Fleischer. Unbelievable.

I thought the trailers for this were ok, I thought it would end up being "fine", and was hoping for something slightly fresh on RT. But as these reviews have said, it was so obvious how it was just completely factory made.

If I'm Holland, and I was already attached long before the director was settled, I would absolutely demand that Fleischer not be let anywhere near this.

Also, the writers. Jesus.

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

Tom Will be fine, just play Spider-Man for the next decade, bank about half a billion dollars and then pick projects you want ala RDJ now

RDJ is a great versatile actor that had a lot of good roles pre Iron Man. Tom has tried branching out but he keeps picking roles he can't pull off. 

• Haha 1

I'll say this again, Holland's big issue is he is always typecast in boring action roles that don't fit the theater kid energy he possesses. Give him a musical or something that allows him to be goofy or out there a la his Lip Sync Battle performance and he would shine. He probably could have done Wonka okay, but of course my libido is much happier with Timothee in the part.

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Poirot said:

I'll say this again, Holland's big issue is he is always typecast in boring action roles that don't fit the theater kid energy he possesses. Give him a musical or something that allows him to be goofy or out there a la his Lip Sync Battle performance and he would shine. He probably could have done Wonka okay, but of course my libido is much happier with Timothee in the part.

Yup I was gonna say that I am surprised he has not done any musical given his Billy Elliot background and the fact that he is a good dancer. Yet he seems to be going for these action movie roles which really doesn’t suit him given his youthful looks and height. He should get in touch with Timothees agent. 

8 minutes ago, Eric Poirot said:

Action roles and gritty dramas that require you to possess some edge, but he's too squeaky clean! Him doing a musical would be perfect, I never thought of that.

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yup I was gonna say that I am surprised he has not done any musical given his Billy Elliot background and the fact that he is a good dancer. Yet he seems to be going for these action movie roles which really doesn’t suit him given his youthful looks and height. He should get in touch with Timothees agent. 

Well I mean it makes sense he would push for action. He played Spider-Man, he's known for being Spider-Man, so it makes sense he would go for action roles. And when actors sign on to something, they have zero clue how a movie is going to turn out. They don't have a crystal ball that will say what a movie's RT score will be. And for all the projects he chose, it makes sense why he would say yes to them.

With Cherry, he gets to work with the Russos, people he's had a good experience and a friendship towards. Chaos Walking was shot in 2017 when Daisy Ridley was fresh off Star Wars and Doug Liman's had plenty of hits before despite being a madman. And he was cast in Uncharted back in 2017 before it went through a big revolving door of directors and is based off a very popular video game series that already takes inspiration from movies like Indiana Jones. It's not his fault these productions didn't pan out. As an actor, especially young ones who don't have a rep, every project is a true roll of the dice.

• Like 1

Wasn't the worst way to kill 2 hours, if I had to align it with a recent film it'd probably be Red Notice. Generic action stuffer that moves at a decent pace. Some decent action, some awful action and cartoony CGI to go along with it. We'll all forget this film even existed by the end of the year but you'll be mildly entertained watching it. 

The biggest problem the film has is it's not Uncharted. It's glossy, shiny, modern, poppy, corporatised and it sands off any edges the franchise had to achieve mass appeal. It just never nails that sense of adventure or mystery or wonder, we're just going through the motions. I'm convinced that Ruben Fleischer is not a real person but an amalgamation of suits at Sony. 

Holland is not right for this role, his first scene showed promise but then he devolves into Chris Pratt 2.0. Any smarm, charm or cockiness that makes up Nate is largely not present here, he's stiff as a board. Whalberg, while not the most accurate Sully plays it looser and understands the movie he's in. I also really liked Sophia Ali as Chloe Frazer. 

It does have a stronger go at incorporating franchise elements (puzzles, maps, hidden treasures, existing lore) than other video game adaptions which I appreciated. But it's heart is in the wrong place. You know there's a problem when the mysterious tomb has a night club in the middle of it. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Sony's foray into films with the marquee PlayStation IPs is going to fail. They will all be watered-down, generic versions of the games. 

Plus, all these games are of such high quality and well-received, the films gotta match the quality otherwise what the hell is the point of making it. 

• Sad 1