CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

2 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

There will be a big backlash for Snow White, trust me. Actually, there already is in the italian disney forums I follow. 

Snow White will retain her German-inspired sets, her 15th century (very loosely) inspired dress, and yet she won't be as fair as snow.

Zegler might be white passing, but she looks like a southern european/mediterrean girl, which doesn't fit the german roots of the story and makes the whole "Snow White" name completely senseless. 

Also, the little mermaid doesn't take place entirely underwater in a fictional world: most of the story is on the land, staged in the European castle of a european Prince.  The little mermaid was filmed in the Sardinia region of my country, Italy, which as far as I know is still a (mediterrean) country in Europe.  

Now, if they wanted to completely alter the story and set it in the carribean, they should have abandoned the whole european castle and southern european landscape and just film in the carribean, while also picking a poc for Eric and pheraps turn him into a governor's son or something like that. 

Instead, much like Ghost in the shell did, this one will retain all the original european elements (while having Triton being a white Spanish man and Eric being an English man) and simply change the ethnicity of the main protagonist in a way that does not make much sense in that specific context.

yikes my dude

7 hours ago, wildphantom said:

After watching Pinocchio I honestly haven’t got it in me to write anything in anticipation for any live action reimaginings for a while. 
The movie was an absolute insult, and one of the worst films the studio have ever produced. 

I say that as a massive Zemeckis fan, but there’s just no excusing a debacle of a film in every respect. 

I’ll shake it off and get semi hyped for Mermaid in a few months, but for now I’m really disgusted with what they did with Pinocchio. 

they need someone with ideas at the head of their live-action division. it always struggled but still. I blame in part the last Bob for this, so if this Bob can find such person he'll leave a good legacy.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:49 PM, excel1 said:

Aladdin had one of the worst marketing campaigns in years, good thing the film itself was great. The studio needed to unleash A WHOLE NEW WORLD in the very first trailer, not save it for the end. The song is a time machine for middle and younger millennials back to early childhood. 

Yup, was a kid when it came out one of my most favorite animated movies ever (probably #1 for Disney). 90s Disney animated flicks was a movement haha

I'll tell you the brutal truth nobody wants to say aloud. This backlash has nothing to do with actress' race/skin color (I mean outside of actual racists). The actual reason why people complain is they cast an ugly actress for the role of a pretty character. If they had cast Zendaya for this role, you could bet 100$ most people wouldn't have complained about casting, there would've been no backlash whatsoever.

Edited by Firepower
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 3

Random thought:

Saw this trailer for the first time on the big screen in front of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and I have to say the complaints about the darkness have merit. They've gotta brighten and liven it up to give it that fun Disney fairy tale feel because as is it felt kind of miserable.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1