CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Isn't WB a minority stakeholder in Dune production/financing anyway? There were articles that WB put up 25% of the budget, while Legendary Entertainment supplied 75% of the budget. The easiest thing for WB, if they wanted out, would be to sell their minority stake in a possible sequel to someone else or to Legendary.

I do believe it's Legendary Entertainment, with so much money invested, that's really the party responsible for pushing on forward with any possible sequel.

8 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Finished the first 'book' (ie. where the movie apparently stops). I assume the film adds quite a bit of set-pieces or overlaps with the next part quite a bit as it's almost all table-setting up until now. Well-written table-setting, but still...

The movie goes somewhat past the first “book”.

15 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

If we're even lucky enough to get a sequel, it'll probably come out half a decade later and with a completely new cast and crew, barely connected to the first film.

I don’t see how there’s any reason to expect that when we’ve had literally no indication of it happening. 

• Like 5

Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

I don’t see how there’s any reason to expect that when we’ve had literally no indication of it happening. 

Because that particular poster is deathriding Dune in any post they can make so just let them enjoy there moment. Its called  schadenfreude. Seems like its a big thing here with quite a few.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Got a copy of the first book on hold and picking it up tomorrow. Looking forward to it! Going to read it AFTER seeing the movie though. Same thing I did with IT. Reading the book and then seeing the movie, you run the risk of the movie being a major letdown. The other way around? The book can only enrich the movie experience.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Wonder what the industry is going to count as a "win" for Dune. 30m+?

24 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Considering WB biggest opening is 31M, yes.

This needs to do 32M to get all the headliners saying "the biggest WB opening in 2 years", which is possible, even if presales aren't picking up much so far.

22 minutes ago, famicommander said:

I think the only real barometer we can use is whether or not the sequel gets made. 

There's just no way to untangle the impact of HBO Max or the pandemic itself. At least not from our perspective; I'm sure WB has some internal targets for both box office and streaming but there's just no way for us looking from the outside to quantify the monetary impact of day one HBO streaming.

Tracking thread not place to discuss this, so moving here.

Lemme be very clear. WB will be dumb to not make a sequel even if US BO is $0.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Or maybe I'm just being more cautious this time after being burned by Alita.

Saying that a sequel will come 5 years later with a completely new crew isn't being cautious when there's literally a TV Show coming next year.

There's literally no reason to doesn't expect a sequel at this point. 

• Like 2

I saw this film last week in a almost full house IMAX hall but the standard screen next to it hardly reach any satisfactory level. After coming out from movie, I  think this movie have enough material to go for trilogy but that means some expanded storyline need to be emplaced and that is a super risky move.

Overall I think BR2049 is a better made movie but Dune has a more interesting world and story.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Tracking thread not place to discuss this, so moving here.

Lemme be very clear. WB will be dumb to not make a sequel even if US BO is $0.

Yeah, there's clear potential for growth, and they already have many setpieces, costumes, etc. already made. Plus--not to get into spoilers--but you could easily make Part 2 on a smaller budget. 

It is strange to me that expectations for this sort of inflated in recent weeks, though I guess that was inevitable after recent BO successes and strong early sales. It still seems to me to be ready to perform as many of us suspected for months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Or maybe I'm just being more cautious this time after being burned by Alita.

Here is a selection of SOME of your posting about Dune. Sorry I dont know how to multi quote. 

Time for Dune to join the pile of would-be fantasy film series that never got a proper chance. A shame, really. We're probably going to lose Daddy Denis to the Netflix machine too at this rate.

Dune is going to be Alita all over again and you know it. All the better for the streamers who are no doubt rubbing their hands together right now, preparing for the bidding war that will ensue once Legendary abandons the IP. See you all in another decade when the inevitable Netflix adaptation gets buried under Squid Game 10: Splatoon'

Part Two simply won't get made unless hell freezes over and this movie is a big hit in the States. Alita also did decently internationally, but it bombed in the US, so no sequel for you! Believe me, I would love to be proven wrong. But do you really think the GA will want to go out of their way to see a seemingly slow-burn, artsy movie based on a book they haven't read in a theater? They'll simply either skip it, or watch it from the comfort of their homes after seeing the word of.

Dune's an unknown property, so the only folks who will see this on the big screen are the die-hard film nerds and book fans. Everyone else will be staying at home and watching this on HBO Max, since it's not a big IP like Marvel or Fast & Furious and is therefore not worth the hassle

This movie's pretty much dead on arrival in the US thanks to HBO Max. Dune is neither a family movie nor a popular IP, so most Americans will just stream it. Not worth the risk for them.

It better do gangbusters, because the box office is going to see a sharp dropoff once it hits HBO Max. Let's see if a month is enough.

This would've bombed even in normal conditions. It's just too artsy and slow-burn for general audiences to enjoy. I'm frankly shocked Warner and Legendary actually gave Denis such a big budget, especially considering it's just the first half of the book. Anyone who thinks we're getting Part 2 is hopelessly naive. See you in 2058 when Netflix decides to take a crack at it.

This is going to make John Carter look like Endgame. I want this movie to succeed but it just seems too artsy and unconventional for general audiences like The Suicide Squad, which bombed. HBO Max will also ensure it has a big drop. I'm not even sure if a $50M domestic total is possible at this point.

Any chances of this doing well are dead in the water. This is certainly going to be one of the biggest flops of all time. Worse than John Carter.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

6 hours ago, Ronin46 said:

Here is a selection of SOME of your posting about Dune. Sorry I dont know how to multi quote. 

Time for Dune to join the pile of would-be fantasy film series that never got a proper chance. A shame, really. We're probably going to lose Daddy Denis to the Netflix machine too at this rate.

Dune is going to be Alita all over again and you know it. All the better for the streamers who are no doubt rubbing their hands together right now, preparing for the bidding war that will ensue once Legendary abandons the IP. See you all in another decade when the inevitable Netflix adaptation gets buried under Squid Game 10: Splatoon'

Part Two simply won't get made unless hell freezes over and this movie is a big hit in the States. Alita also did decently internationally, but it bombed in the US, so no sequel for you! Believe me, I would love to be proven wrong. But do you really think the GA will want to go out of their way to see a seemingly slow-burn, artsy movie based on a book they haven't read in a theater? They'll simply either skip it, or watch it from the comfort of their homes after seeing the word of.

Dune's an unknown property, so the only folks who will see this on the big screen are the die-hard film nerds and book fans. Everyone else will be staying at home and watching this on HBO Max, since it's not a big IP like Marvel or Fast & Furious and is therefore not worth the hassle

This movie's pretty much dead on arrival in the US thanks to HBO Max. Dune is neither a family movie nor a popular IP, so most Americans will just stream it. Not worth the risk for them.

It better do gangbusters, because the box office is going to see a sharp dropoff once it hits HBO Max. Let's see if a month is enough.

This would've bombed even in normal conditions. It's just too artsy and slow-burn for general audiences to enjoy. I'm frankly shocked Warner and Legendary actually gave Denis such a big budget, especially considering it's just the first half of the book. Anyone who thinks we're getting Part 2 is hopelessly naive. See you in 2058 when Netflix decides to take a crack at it.

This is going to make John Carter look like Endgame. I want this movie to succeed but it just seems too artsy and unconventional for general audiences like The Suicide Squad, which bombed. HBO Max will also ensure it has a big drop. I'm not even sure if a $50M domestic total is possible at this point.

Any chances of this doing well are dead in the water. This is certainly going to be one of the biggest flops of all time. Worse than John Carter.

Yikes....

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. — Abraham Lincoln

Edited by Val357

On 10/17/2021 at 11:16 PM, Ronin46 said:

The Dune thing is weird. Not sure why so many have agendas on here about it. Maybe its Denny comments about Marvel and people wanting to see it fail or maybe something else.

I guess Dune's very vocal fanbase gets easily on people's nerves. Chalamet is also somewhat of an hated actor, as it is often the case with young upcomers who suddenly start popping up in every big feature film, especially when their talent is questionable (Timmy got an oscar Nom, but is still far from young Bale/Leo in terms of charisma and presence).

As for Villeneuve, he gets his fair share of hate because, much like Nolan, he appeals largely to male nerds age 15-45, who happen to be the most active on certain websites and very vocal, sometimes to the point of blindness and delusion.

I reckon there is also a bit of hypocrisy coming into play, as Dune is being presented as some form of "high-art" cinema, arthouse even, while most superheroes movies (which, to make it clear, is a genre that does not meet my taste)  get trashed for being mindless entertainment.

In fact, as someone who has actually seen Dune, I can very well say that Dune is much closer to a marvel movie than it is to something like "The last duel", and is on a whole other planet when you compare it to actual "auteur" fantasy movies like "Ladyhawke" or "The Green Knight". 

All that still isn't a valid reason to be vicious about Dune. but I'd say this can offer an answer as to why it receives much more of a negative backlash than some other movies.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire