grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

200M. Another bomb like Alita. Sorry, but alita didn't breakeven. Under 100 domestic and majority of os from China where they get no more than 20% i believe. Still i hope to see an alita cg/animation on Netflix or Disney+ to continue the story from where the movie ended. It's a shame we won't get a sequel. Has been zero talks from the main guys since it came out.

As for this, should crack 400 ww because brand is still strong overseas. But to match the heights of t2 or more, they have to improve marketing big time. Oh and the movie has to get 70+ certified fresh on RT.

Alita wasn’t a “bomb”, with post-theatrical ancillaries it looks basically locked to break even (source: Forbes). My definition of a bomb is a movie that loses a significant amount of money and actively hurts the studio, although YMMV, it’s not like “bomb” is a technical term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juby said:

Have You seen the trailer? Watch the fight between M. Davis and cops. No nudity, no swears, no blood, Sarah doesn't spoke anymore. This will be another PG-13 Terminator movie for sure.

It very well might but the trailer is cut for all ages so it's difficult to judge by that.

3 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Alita wasn’t a “bomb”, with post-theatrical ancillaries it looks basically locked to break even (source: Forbes). My definition of a bomb is a movie that loses a significant amount of money and actively hurts the studio, although YMMV, it’s not like “bomb” is a technical term.

By Forbes you mean Scott Mendelssohn? He isn't really a good source for this kind of stuff. It's not a total bomb but it likely lost money.

Idk. Overall ok. Some scenes look like this film could be fun, some others were a bit boring (fights were the opponent can only be stopped for a few seconds).

So far IMO the trailer doesn't show if this film has an appealing story which would be so needed or is just formulaic (the girl must be saved as always and that's it).
Arnold could be longer in the movie, maybe they just meet him pretty much at the beginning and then he joins the team, but maybe works at another place if he is human.

The blond good terminator is like Sam Worthington in Salvation, human brain-terminator body?

The bad terminator is somewhere between Kristanna Loken in T3 and John Connor in Genysis?  What was the purpose of the thing where he snakes out of the truck using the rebar she threw at him?  Looked useless except to show off fx that weren't even very good.

The franchise has definitely taken a step down in popularity between Salvation and Genysis (T3 still made decent money, #7 worldwide that year which has been over $800m since 2015, over $700m since 2012) and getting back the ground they lost is a big ask that I think would require a long break and maybe even mutliple solid movies to achieve.  James Cameron crowing about how this is gonna be great is near meaningless at this point, and hopefully the JC stans don't try and pretend it's gonna be huge because of that like they did with Alita.  His reputation as a filmmaker doesn't hinge on this movie at all, he's just trying to make some money here.

8 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Then again, I don't see them making an R-rated movie that cost 200 million. That's absolute suicide.

Miller's own Deadpool made a lot being R-rated. Cater to your audience and do it well and you might be more successful than trying to do it for everyone yet not really pleasing anyone.

14 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Cameron said in some interview recently it'll be R.

Then again, I don't see them making an R-rated movie that cost 200 million. That's absolute suicide.

they are not giving it 200m after 3 underperformers. 

my bet is something like 100m, 130m at most. that's what it looks like from the trailer.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

I read somewhere that they had CGI body doubles for both Schwarzenegger and the kid playing John Conner (to make him look like Edward Furlong) so that might be where a portion of the money is being poured into from that high budget? Guess it depends how much those two are in the movie. 

Edited by Rorschach

31 minutes ago, MattW said:

What was the purpose of the thing where he snakes out of the truck using the rebar she threw at him?

He split. One "half" (endoskeleton) continues to drive the truck, the other "half" (liquid metal) tries to get a hold of our heroes.

I was kinda meh at first, too, but on 2nd thought, it makes sense.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I understand the lack of Arnold ( T-800 ) in the trailer. I mean, his character died in T2, and if this is the true sequel, he should be nowhere to be seen.  So, his return is probably a plot point, and I'm glad they didn't spoil how it happens.

I'm worried about the total lack of John Connor. The whole plot is about that character. 

you know I never thought of that. And I didn't realize this was a direct sequel to Terminator part 2. I will definitely give it a chance and I'm glad I read your post. The makes a lot more sense now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Goffe said:

they are not giving it 200m after 3 underperformers. 

my bet is something like 100m, 130m at most. that's what it looks like from the trailer.

Budget is 160-200 mill according to Arnold