grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What kind of multi would you guess for Maleficent off $3M previews?

Mal1 was the week after Memorial W/E with more school out so that could cancel out possible more front loading of a sequel in Oct.

Mal1 did 16.5 off 4.2m so my guess is at least 15 though 17 (around Dumbo) wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Mal 2.6*15   
Zomb 3*8.5

I multiplied the numbers. Don't know if I'm right, but basically:

-Maleficent 2: 39M

-Zombieland 2: 25.5M

How much would it be Overseas-wise?

11 hours ago, belligerent talking robot said:

Doctor Sleep - 20/60

Zombieland: Double Tap - 20/55

Maleficent - 45/135

Terminator - 45/115

Midway - 40/110

Charlie's Angels - 40/110

Frozen 2 - 110/375

Knives Out - 30/45/100

Jumanji - 80/250

Star Wars - 250/750  (Avatar was only up 220 on TDK)

Maleficent - 45

Joker - 27/245

Zombieland - 20

Addams Family - 13.5/54.0

Gemini Man - 11.5/40.0

Abominable - 3.5/54.0

Downtown Abbey - 3.5/89.0

Hustlers - 2.5/102.3

It: Chapter Two - 2.0/210.2

Theater counts:

It: Chapter Two (-303)

Hustlers (-357)

Downtown Abbey (-319)

Abominable (-496)

looks like Addams Family and Gemini Man are keeping 2 screens, 8 showings since the theater counts are so rough on those holdovers ^^^

3 - Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Buena Vista 3,790 - - - - - - 1
5 - Zombieland 2: Double Tap Sony / Columbia 3,468 - - - - - - 1
35 - Immortal Hero Freestyle Releasing 9 - - - - - - 1
37 - Jojo Rabbit Fox Searchlight 5 - - - - - - 1
> EXPANDING
1 2 The Addams Family (2019) United Artists Releasing 4,102 +95 +2.4% - - - - 2
16 24 Lucy in the Sky Fox Searchlight 231 +33 +16.7% - - - - 3
23 50 Pain and Glory Sony Classics 67 +44 +191.3% - - - - 3
25 39 Where's My Roy Cohn? Sony Classics 66 +9 +15.8% - - - - 5
31 78 Parasite (2019) Neon 33 +30 +1,000.0% - - - - 2
33 58 Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles Roadside Attractions 14 +3 +27.3% - - - - 9
> NO CHANGE
4 3 Gemini Man Paramount 3,642 - - - - - - 2
7 7 Jexi Lionsgate 2,332 - - - - - - 2
36 67 Mr. Klein (2019 re-release) Rialto 6 - - - - - - 7
38 - Cyrano, My Love Roadside Attractions 3 - - - - - - 35
> DECLINING
2 1 Joker (2019) Warner Bros. 4,090 -284 -6.5% - - - - 3
6 4 Abominable Universal 2,643 -853 -24.4% - - - - 4
8 5 Downton Abbey Focus Features 2,255 -764 -25.3% - - - - 5
9 6 Hustlers STX Entertainment 1,575 -782 -33.2% - - - - 6
10 8 It: Chapter Two Warner Bros. (New Line) 1,528 -775 -33.7% - - - - 7
11 12 Judy Roadside Attractions 1,418 -209 -12.8% - - - - 4
12 9 Rambo: Last Blood Lionsgate 930 -901 -49.2% - - - - 5
13 11 Ad Astra Fox 796 -882 -52.6% - - - - 5
14 10 The Lion King (2019) Buena Vista 325 -1,362 -80.7% - - - - 14
Edited by belligerent talking robot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Found this in regards to Maleficent 2 and the International Box Office.

This is what they said regarding Joker and the end of its box office run:

Joker retained its crown in style last weekend on a magnificent $125.3m via Warner Bros Pictures International and stands at $409m internationally, and $623m worldwide. Insiders forecast the origins story to finish on around $800m worldwide, which suggests it will start to slow down this session.

One part of me is thinking that it isn't that bad of a run. But another part of me is thinking that this might be a bit of a lower number than expected. We'll have to see how the numbers do when Sunday rolls around and if the buzz is still strong as time goes by.

Joker has been definitely one of the most unpredictable movies this year. I never expected that this movie would end up making this much so far.

Edited by Xftg123

48 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Think we'll start seeing TROS shows being posted Friday?

Depends almost entirely on in-house decisions, I think.  I know with 99.999999% certainty that they're already in various theater computer systems.  There was that leak from the in-theater Cinemark system a couple of days ago, for instance (posted on r/StarWarsLeaks).  Also from what we can see on the public Cinemark website, the first three weeks of TROS showings now have drop down menus where you can select a day (say Dec 20th as a random example) when TROS is actually playing.

But if you actually select that day it say "No showtimes for Dec 20th, 2019" (slight paraphrase).

That tells me that the webpage "knows" that there are showdates in the Cinemark system, but not to display them quite yet.

Fandango, locally at least, is only displaying dates up to Sun, Dec 15th at the moment.  Can't even access Thr, Dec 19th or beyond on Fandango.

Atom has drop down dates extending into next year, but also nothing on TROS's opening days/week.

So, basically, up to individual chains to flip the switch to make it public.  Could be Fri.  Might be by Sat.  Very probably by Sun.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

One part of me is thinking that it isn't that bad of a run. But another part of me is thinking that this might be a bit of a lower number than expected. We'll have to see how the numbers do when Sunday rolls around and if the buzz is still strong as time goes by.

Joker has been definitely one of the most unpredictable movies this year. I never expected that this movie would end up making this much so far.

Of course that number is really low, just after this weekend Joker will have 720m WW.

They can just play joker in theater only on weekend it would still pass 800m but let's talk about this in Joker OS thread This thread is for pre-release movie tracking and theater count. 

Edited by RJ 95
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Xftg123 said:

They obviously lowball the number, their forecast is not based on the actual data.

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

hello there i have been away from this thread for a very long time could somone plz inform me whats going on here ?

ps do we have any idea about frozen 2 tickets ?

Still status "Remind Me" at the AMC theaters.

Therefor the tickets for all releases of the next week (e.g. Countdown) are on sale now. Plus those for Harriet, Doctor Sleep and Charlie's Angels (don't remember if that was mentioned already).

5 hours ago, Xftg123 said:

600m would have been very good. 800m for a tiny budget film is incredible.

Just wanted to share this really cool thing I found regarding all three films: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/maleficent-and-zombieland-sequels-open-and-could-represent-a-2019-box-office-first-1202181988/

The weekend also sees the wide release of two sequels: Disney’s “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” and Sony’s “Zombieland: Double Tap,” which will likely take the nos. 1 and 3 spots, “Joker” landing in between — and that could represent the first time this year that the top three titles made over $30 million.

If this actually happens then that would actually be a really cool record for all three films.