Eric Duncan

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

So I went rummaging around the upstairs of the theatre after work last night, and I took home an original Titanic and Trainspotting poster ? (the Trainspotting is for a friend)

there is a lower than projection trend ongoing since FF8....

The march's release were all ended up higher than projection, but starting from FF8, everything has changed.....

hope wonder woman on next week could revert this trend

• Like 1

Amazing hold for Guardians 2. A 145M+ opening sequel having these kind of legs in May (which is the beggining of Summer season, but doesn't have the same moviegoing that June or July do) is absolutely incredible to me. Were it not for Wonder Woman, 400M would be more than likely at this point.

Everything else.... :what:.

Pirates ain't looking too bad next to expectations, I guess, but it's still an alarming drop from On Stranger Tides, and potentially less than Apocalypse's OW. Hell, that's close enough to The Curse Of The Black Pearl's unadjusted OW in 2003 (46M), and that movie was a complete breakout that depended entirely on good wom to survive.

Still, Dead Men Tell No Tales looks like Avatar next to Baywatch. 5-day barely over Neighbors 2? A-BYS-MAL. The Rock's Midas Touch seems to have faded away.

And Alien: Covenant.... 66% drop. I can't even. That's more fucked up than any Xenomorph breaking out of human scientists' bodies scene ever.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Pirates ain't looking too bad next to expectations, I guess, but it's still an alarming drop from On Stranger Tides, and potentially less than Apocalypse's OW. Hell, that's close enough to The Curse Of The Black Pearl's unadjusted OW in 2003 (46M), and that movie was a complete breakout that depended entirely on good wom to survive.

Potentially?

• Like 1

I love Pirates of the Caribbean and while I understand that this franchise is getting tiresome, the universe is very extensive and has a lot of story to tell. I think Disney should test a spin off without Jhonny Deep (plus some original movies) and see what happens. I don't see the point in giving a giant salary to Deep anymore. His good times are over.

Edited by alisson23

Yeah, Covenant was a mismarketed movie, audiences got something different than they were expecting, the massive drop shows that.

Lots of underperformers this summer, Guardians is the only thing that's really performing to (or above) expectations.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Paramount had tanked The Rock's winning streak. Next, Transformers is going under 155M.

3 clubs out of 14 clubs success in a row. How do you feel?

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

Potentially?

I was trying to damage control for Depp's career's sake. It might still rally over Apocalypse through the weekend.

Btw, if there's one director that I think could come close to Gore's craftsmanship in that 1st Pirates movie while making it somewhat fresh (though I did think that, for what it was, what the Kon Tiki guys did here wasn't bad), I think it could be Justin Lin, coming off what he did in Star Trek Beyond and his rescue of the F&F movies.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Paramount had tanked The Rock's winning streak. Next, Transformers is going under 155M.

Dwayne Johnson's biggest hits seem to be at Universal or WB/New Line. Doing a Paramount film is box office poison

• Like 1

I'll say it one last time: Anyone who liked ANY of the previous POTC films and has decided to pass on this one is making a big mistake. The Tomato critics are wrong, this is a very entertaining POTC flick specifically and summer action/adventure movie generally. Well worth a trip to the cinema. 

• Like 5