kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

I love Patty and hope she comes back for a third film but if she doesn’t and WB wants to make a third movie I’m sure they can find a more then capable female director to make the movie, there are lots out there. 

Sure, but please don't hire the director of Birds Of Prey. What an awful overrated piece of trash.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

33 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Wow, what a flop. 

The numbers are awful, even worse when you compare them to what the Croods 2 did in China just a couple of weeks ago.

However, I think people have always been delusional about the first WW 's popularity WorldWide. 

When you look at comparable superhero movies, Wonder Woman performed well in:

UK (28 mil)

France (16 mil)

Mexico ( 22 mil)

Brazil (33 mil) 

Australia (23 mil)

Those 5 markets + China (90 mil) made about 50 % of the total 400 milions WW earned Overseas.

This, coupled with serious under performances in comic-books friendly countries like Italy, clearly shows that the  Wonder Woman franchise only appeals to the Anglo-sphere + Us influenced Mexico/Brazil. 

And  even before  Corona, one couldn't expect a great success if a movie doesn't perform well in countries like Russia, Japan, SK and the European big 5. No way this would have hit 1 Billion, even in a normal situation. 

Now come fight me 🤣

Yup, I always expected this to be a kingsman2/sherlock Holmes 2 situation. Decrease domestically, but similar numbers overseas. However, pandemic, last minute change in plans, marketing and what not, has totally destroyed this franchise. This was the movie that was supposed to somewhat help theatres, but it has tanked. I don't think any studio is going to release anything big anytime soon.

Also, I have a gut feeling that WW84 is going to do nothing for Hbo max. Hence, all this exercise will be in vain. All around disaster.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • ...wtf 1

39 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Now that I think about it, Tenet's box office especially overseas is darn impressive. If things were normal, it would have done 150+ domestically and 600+ overseas. The film is stills shit though just like all his films barring batman trilogy and The Prestige.

Weird take.   

The Prestige is really bad, maybe his worst.

• Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Weird take.   

The Prestige is really bad, maybe his worst.

I don't really agree with it (I mean, I think it's still great) but a lot of people consider it one of his best. It's his 3rd highest rated movie on letterboxd and IMDB.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

I hated The Prestige the first time I watched it (was obviously just not in the right frame of mind for it) 

But having rewatched it recently and it’s just masterful filmmaking, it holds up much better than a lot of other Nolan films in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamiem said:

I hated The Prestige the first time I watched it (was obviously just not in the right frame of mind for it) 

But having rewatched it recently and it’s just masterful filmmaking, it holds up much better than a lot of other Nolan films in my opinion.

I agree. I think the first time I watched it I was just trying to piece it together and it felt a bit too much like work (similar to Tenet in a way) but on rewatch when you know how it ends, it really clicks.

8 hours ago, Wonder89 said:

I’ve not seen WW84, but maybe Jenkins is a little bit overrated, hope WB hire someone else for WW3 or reboot the franchise

While i'd agree she is over-rated, her slow-motion is youtube video tier and she relies on said slow-mo to much, I do find it amusing how quickly people seem to be turning on her.

After that glorious China perfomance I think I was too generous when I said WW1 box office was best case scenario. Without China's support there would've been zero chance for a billion (pre-covid of course), but China outright rejected it. Looks like my prediction a year ago is more accurate, I thought it'll decrease from the first one. I remember most people here seriously thought Rise of Skywalker will increase from The Last Jedi based on nothing when I was insisting it'll see another massive drop, so I was right in the end. I had the same feeling here.

Edited by Firepower

Oh they’re out in force today lol. 

There’s no need to reboot the franchise.

The reviews are great. I’m sure it will do wonders for HBO Max. We’ll get a subscriber boost update next week no doubt. 

Lots of comments being posted from people who haven’t even seen the film and have some sort of agenda. 

Lets not forget Wonder Woman (2017) is regarded as one of the best superhero films. And let’s not forget it had a 4x multiplier in the US, a feat not many other blockbusters have been able to achieve. 

You don’t get a 4 x multiple without incredible word of mouth, so let’s not start this nonsense. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

After that glorious China perfomance I think I was too generous when I said WW1 box office was best case scenario. Without China support there would've been zero chance for a billion, but China outright rejected it. Looks like my prediction a year ago is more accurate, I thought it'll decrease from the first one. I remember most people here seriously thought Rise of Skywalker will increase from The Last Jedi based on nothing when I was insisting it'll see another massive drop, so I was right in the end. I had the same feeling here.

Again, you’ll never know. These aren’t normal circumstances and China know it’ll sadly be available to pirates in less than a week. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Again, you’ll never know. These aren’t normal circumstances and China know it’ll sadly be available to pirates in less than a week. 

I think average Chinese folks are not aware about HBO Max or a lot less aware than countries without heavy censorship, so I doubt it affected things much.