Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Depending on which country someone has migrated from, the people already speak English fluently. One of my best friend’s family migrated from the Middle East and his mom plus dad along with extended family all speak English very well. Even better than most people here. It’s cause over there they teach them English but unlike over here, they don’t get up in arms about learning another language. 

But I suppose one could argue that these people wouldn’t even need to migrate over here, if Western countries didn’t spend decades destabilizing that region but that’s a topic for a different day and not appropriate for this thread. 

Also a lot of people you come here and dont know English, try really hard and struggle to learn it...and end up knowing how to speak english as well as native speakers or even better. 

Like my dad and his 3 brothers are perfect examples.

My dad and his younger brother did not know any English when they first came here in 1981. They learned and were able to get good jobs and open a business and had a good job.

My dads other brothers did not and they stagnated and never amounted to much. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

a few schedule changes

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

UNTITLED FOX MARVEL 6/26/20, 10/2/20, 3/5/21 have all been removed from Disney's schedule.

Disney's THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN drops Aug. 14, 2020.

DISNEY RELEASE SCHEDULE CHANGE: GAMBIT(Fox), originally scheduled for release on 3/13/20, has been removed from the schedule

Untitled Star Wars films have been scheduled by Disney for: Dec. 16, 2022 Dec. 20, 2024 Dec. 18, 2026

Go Big Blue. Disney's AVATAR updates: AVATAR 2 - 12/17/21 AVATAR 3 - 12/22/23 AVATAR 4 - 12/19/25 AVATAR 5 - 12/17/27

DISNEY RELEASE SCHEDULE CHANGE: NIMONA (Fox) is moving from 2/14/20 to 3/5/21

DISNEY RELEASE SCHEDULE CHANGE: CRUELLA (Disney) will be released on 12/23/20

DISNEY RELEASE SCHEDULE CHANGE: WEST SIDE STORY(Fox) will be released on 12/18/20

New release dates for Fox films distributed by Disney:

Underwater - Jan. 10, 2020

DISNEY RELEASE SCHEDULE CHANGE: CALL OF THE WILD (Fox) is moving from 12/25/19 to 2/21/20

Disney's ARTEMIS FOWL moves from August 2019 to next summer--May 29, 2020.

No joke. Fox's THE NEW MUTANTS has been pushed back again--now set to drop April 3, 2020, instead of Aug. 2, 2019. .

DISNEY RELEASE SCHEDULE CHANGE: SPIES IN DISGUISE (Fox) is moving from 9/13/19 to 12/25/19

The FINALLY frontier. James Gray's AD ASTRA will launch Sept. 20, 2019.

DISNEY RELEASE SCHEDULE CHANGE: THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN (Fox) is moving from 9/27/19 to 8/9/19

• Community Manager
9 hours ago, JB33 said:

Ok I'm going to play nice here.

Why does it feel like, not only has there been mass immigration from Arabic/East Indian countries to North America in the last several years, but also that our culture is slowly conforming to them. 

No, Arabic should NOT be taught in schools anywhere in North America. You're here, not there. You want to be a citizen here, learn our official languages fast and conform to OUR society. 

https://brainconnection.brainhq.com/2017/05/22/brain-benefits-bilingualism/

https://www.britishcouncil.org/voices-magazine/does-being-bilingual-make-you-smarter

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/how-the-brain-benefits-from-being-bilingual.html

https://bilingualkidspot.com/2017/05/23/benefits-of-being-bilingual/

• Like 1

Surprised there's nothing about Marvel's schedule on Disney's new release date shuffle. I would say strike while the iron is hot, but honestly the whole industry is all about Marvel at the moment. Wait till the hype cools down in a few months time, and THEN announce your phase 4 movies and dates

25 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

is to learn one foreign language not standard at US schools?

Here one is the minimum for the 'lesser' schools, schools preparing for an academic follow up or ... require to learn at least 2 foreign languages

My brother, who did the academic preparing route focused on languages, speaks accent free and grammatical high level several romanic (Italian, Spanish, French, Latin) based languages, English with perfect grammar, but a strong German accent (no idea why this one with accent)

Me, having done a Math orientated route, had to learn only one foreign language (then only a bit), pupils doing the same nowadays have tons of especially English and way less in-depth a 2nd foreign language.

But I learned also a bit for brain training and so on some other languages a bit.

= its common POV since before my time how important bi-lingual or more is for the development

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney basically just shuffled everything Fox is putting out this year except The Woman in the Window. Amazing Amy's power.

They shuffled also 'before-Disney' titles

Edited by terrestrial

• Community Manager

13 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Here one is the minimum for the 'lesser' schools, schools preparing for an academic follow up or ... require to learn at least 2 foreign languages

In the US, I took "Spanish" but since Spanish was technically my first language...

I can say that the Spanish they teach is like super basic for the most part and won't really teach you the language. The US doesn't really make a real attempt to make students bilingual even when the option is present. 

• Sad 1

my colleague/friend at work managed to accidentally hurl a brick at my fingers while i was lifting a rock, and now ican barelky use my han d. cant type cant do shit. fucking hurts

• Sad 1

I’m watching HBO’s Chernobyl and I have a question for all the old people here that can remember the 80’s: were you guys just so casual around nuclear energy? Did you think it was super clean and safe? Also if you didn’t have a VCR how did you watch movies at home?

14 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

If anyone watches football, Liverpool just had one of the greatest comebacks in the history of Champions League. Lost the 1st leg 0-3, won the 2nd 4-0 against Barcelona of all teams.

Mental game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I’m watching HBO’s Chernobyl and I have a question for all the old people here that can remember the 80’s: were you guys just so casual around nuclear energy? Did you think it was super clean and safe? Also if you didn’t have a VCR how did you watch movies at home?

Here was a lot of protest vs nuclear energy

The took nuclear out of the school ~ 'book' (what every grade has to  learn,the themes... is in a big book per grade, counting for all schools of the same types per state) at the end of the '70, what lead to less the general population and especially the youth (who then tended to go way more on the streets to protest in a more visual way...) being informed about it in general terms.

Government started to train police to get more aggressive against protesters, what lead to protest by the police unions...

Sometimes police stood demonstrative on the other side or separate.

Neighbour country did a poll, population voted against nuclear energy we did not get asked about it, but had it many years earlier, as polls of that kind were less in general

Only the naive believed in those kind of statements (like its clean....) see the need to store the nuclear wast for a veryyyy loooong time.

So called 'final storages' were also a hot theme, no one wanted those in their state or regions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-nuclear_movement

The German entry tells a bit more about the different countries, maybe use e.g. google translate (microsoft seems also to offer it), might be interesting in this case.

Before VCR you either watched when a movie or episode got aired, with luck you might have catch it in the repeats aired in as an early morning program for the night shift worker (very reduced in numbers of titles to pick from)

As the count of stations got more some older tv-series got repeated, the very small stations tended to repeat their program more than the big ones.

What you missed... bad luck.

As a worker you mostly didn't even really were aware about what e.g. in late midday got aired. Early afternoon was mostly for children, or repeats, and news...

• Like 1

Plus the Soviet Union wasn't exactly the most honest and open society.  The mindset of the average Soviet citizen when it came to nuclear energy and radiation risk was probably quite different to the west.

It was quite chilling all the little details.  

Spoiler

I'm thinking, no, don't pick up a piece of the reactor core.

With regards to TV.  We we would have had a VCR from the mid 80's at least.  However, when it comes to TV we only had 3 TV channels (the public broadcasters ABC and SBS plus 1 commercial channel) where I grew up until 1989.  Sydney had 3 commercial channels plus ABC and SBS.  PayTV/Cable only came to Australia in 1995.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Many high schools just require two years, which may be the only two years U.S. students get of any non-English language instruction. As such, a good many English-as-first-language students just get extremely basic instruction that isn't even close to usable outside of a classroom setting during those two years, and the ones who don't excel in it tend to quit after they're no longer required to take it.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

In the US, I took "Spanish" but since Spanish was technically my first language...

I can say that the Spanish they teach is like super basic for the most part and won't really teach you the language. The US doesn't really make a real attempt to make students bilingual even when the option is present. 

I took two years of German and no Spanish in high school. Got into a 3rd year level German course in college my first semester. Might have been because my high school German teacher was a native speaker.

• Like 1

I did Japanese all through high school. 

I can still count in Japanese, know the greetings and a few phrases. 

I assume that makes me bilingual. 

Edit: Impeccable timing.  A woman from Japan just called with a product enquiry.  All I'll say is that she spoke very good English so my Japanese wasn't tested.

• Haha 1