Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I know your citing legitimate stats, but I find that median VERY hard to believe. More than ever senior citizens are having to work until they die because their pension is pitiful. Not all can live a life of luxury in their senior years if they don't plan and save

Considering my father never made 40K a year in is life and my mother didn't work much for health reason and how rich my senior parents are, I really do not have an hard time believing it.

https://dqydj.com/sp-500-periodic-reinvestment-calculator-dividends/

If you became 25 in 1969 and retired in 2009, $150 a month in your retirement account adjusted for inflation will push your portfolio at nearly 1.3 million (and that was just after the massive crash, it was 2M in 2007).

Higher expected life expectancy and much better health, much higher education working on much less physically demanding job, more immigrant (that started on the workforce later), much higher wanted luxury lifestyle are important factor on the raise of the senior work. Canada is still doing many active measure to increase the older workforce participation, lagging a lot in the OCDE.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think cannastop is saying that Trump is a package deal.  You can't take the policies you like (trade, anti-globalism, tax cuts) without owning all the horrific stuff he peddles in (white nationalism, eroding the rule of law, immigration hysteria).

Yes, usually politicians ARE a "I like this, but not that".  However some folks are just so past the goal line that it really is "You broke it, you bought it".

Of course we have a whole section of the forum for politics in general AND a couple of dedicated topics for US politics in specific, so probably best to keep the rest of the convo there.

I think the issue is that many people will accept Trumps Flaws if they can get something they like.

Its a bit sad but why I think he still enjoys over 40% support and i say has a 60% chance of reelection. 

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think cannastop is saying that Trump is a package deal.  You can't take the policies you like (trade, anti-globalism, tax cuts) without owning all the horrific stuff he peddles in (white nationalism, eroding the rule of law, immigration hysteria).

Yes, usually politicians ARE a "I like this, but not that".  However some folks are just so past the goal line that it really is "You broke it, you bought it".

Of course we have a whole section of the forum for politics in general AND a couple of dedicated topics for US politics in specific, so probably best to keep the rest of the convo there.

I think maybe the only reason why Trump hasn't bombed or invaded Iran yet is because it was John McCain's dying wish.

I'll take that one

45 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

didn't seem to hurt LOST

and one doesn't simply adapt the 2nd age 8-10 episodes at a time

I won't lie, I'm probably still gonna watch it unless it gets truly terrible reviews or something.

• Like 1

Just started the new season of GLOW. It's definitely more episodic than the previous two seasons (at least through the first three episodes), but it's still a ton of fun.

I'm still kinda bummed by just how weak the theatrical movie slate is right now. I know it's August, but we've actually seen some really solid flicks released in the last few Augusts (last year alone had BlacKkKlansman, Crazy Rich Asians, the wide expansion of Eighth Grade, and the still-unseen-by-me Searching). The Farewell looks terrific, but alas, the nearest place showing it is 2+ hours away.

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I won't lie, I'm probably still gonna watch it unless it gets truly terrible reviews or something.

I honestly think Amazon becoming a respected high end streaming platform is gonna live or die by this.  They bought the rights for $250 million and are spending another billion on it right out of the gate, if they fuck this up I hope we still get 1-2 day shipping.  I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment but I'm juiced as fuck for it.  "Free reign to invent new things/characters as long as it doesn't contradict existing material Tolkien wrote" just sounds like the  best possible outcome of that deal imo.  They have a skeleton to work with and and they just have to flesh it out.  Game of Thrones to me was just great(at least seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 even though 8 was fucking awful) and we need another top tier fantasy show.  Hell, given what Shippey has said about free reign as long as they don't contradict or alter anything Tolkien has written, you could have a 20 episode first season with a whole new story/original characters without even getting to Sauron and saving him for later seasons.  Speaking of Sauron, I just picture the final shot of the show(or one of the later seasons) of him played by someone like Fassbender or Bardem(just spitballing here) standing on a beach in Numenor looking at a beautiful sunrise that is slowly blocked out by a giant tsunami in the distance with a grin on his face.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I honestly think Amazon becoming a respected high end streaming platform is gonna live or die by this.  They bought the rights for $250 million and are spending another billion on it right out of the gate, if they fuck this up I hope we still get 1-2 day shipping.  I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment but I'm juiced as fuck for it.  "Free reign to invent new things/characters as long as it doesn't contradict existing material Tolkien wrote" just sounds like the  best possible outcome of that deal imo.  They have a skeleton to work with and and they just have to flesh it out.  Game of Thrones to me was just great(at least seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 even though 8 was fucking awful) and we need another top tier fantasy show.  Hell, given what Shippey has said about free reign as long as they don't contradict or alter anything Tolkien has written, you could have a 20 episode first season with a whole new story/original characters without even getting to Sauron and saving him for later seasons.  Speaking of Sauron, I just picture the final shot of the show(or one of the later seasons) of him played by someone like Fassbender or Bardem(just spitballing here) standing on a beach in Numenor looking at a beautiful sunrise that is slowly blocked out by a giant tsunami in the distance with a grin on his face.

Amazon also has Wheel of Time which I'm really curious how they adapt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Amazon also has Wheel of Time which I'm really curious how they adapt.

Fifteen episode seasons for twelve years ought to just about do it.

Spoiler

Then they can get to the second and third book.:ph34r:

Spoiler

Cheap shot?  Maybe.

Spoiler

Where's the lie though? :stirthepot:

• Disbelief 1

26 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Cheap shot?  Maybe.

Hide contents

The structure of the series makes it a bit of a puzzle to adapt. Because it's framed thematically as two trilogies, then a five book sprawl, and a final trilogy.

But, to start, I could conceivably see a first season adapt the first 2 books in a 13 episode season. They're the most straightforward adventure story of the lot

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

finally got around to watching the second season of big little lies. literally they spent the whole time talking about the first season. nothing new happens. it's like a season long clip show for the previous season. like if the entire second season of game of thrones was "damn, remember when ned stark got killed? that was crazy. how do we feel about that?"

But what do you think of Streep in the show?

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Cheap shot?  Maybe.

Hide contents

I’ve read the first four books.  It’s definitely a lot of story

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is fucking hilarious: MoviePass actually changed passwords on some people's accounts so they couldn't use it. What a joke of a company that deserved its downfall.

https://www.slashfilm.com/moviepass-scandal/

Aaron Sorkin's probably writing up a MoviePass script as we speak.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1