grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Saw this today. Such a charming movie. Wouldn't be surprised if it shows insane staying power for a total well over $100M.

Agreed on all fronts. My audience - which was mostly non-Asian (not surprising given the demos in my area) - ate it up.

Between this and Ocean's 8, I really want to see Awkwafina in more movies.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:52 AM, Lordmandeep said:

Rom Com are not back due to this film.

The success of this film is by generating a ton of buzz in the media over the novelty of the casting and storyline.

The major reason Rom Com are not that popular is whyspend 20 bucks to watch a typical Rom Com in theatres when it comes out on streaming services in a few months. The films that are hit are the ones that have this yearning to see it right away in theaters now.

HelpfulUnevenDartfrog-size_restricted.gi

10 hours ago, ACSlater said:

HelpfulUnevenDartfrog-size_restricted.gi

After watching Infinity Wars and it feel like watching 10 movies in one, spending the same amount on a romantic comedy with a predictable storyline seems like a waste.

Crazy Rich Asians is a novelty and that is why it broke out. 

6 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

After watching Infinity Wars and it feel like watching 10 movies in one, spending the same amount on a romantic comedy with a predictable storyline seems like a waste.

Crazy Rich Asians is a novelty and that is why it broke out. 

Watching a superhero flick about men in tights (and sometimes women) who battle and save the day in battles against CGI villains is predictable and seems like a waste.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, YLF said:

I haven't seen much backlash to this movie unlike how it was with BP

I can't see this movie prompting any kind of backlash even if it shows insane staying power and reaches a really high total. It's too featherlight and inconsequential (aside from having an all-Asian cast) to provoke intense feelings either way.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I can't see this movie prompting any kind of backlash even if it shows insane staying power and reaches a really high total. It's too featherlight and inconsequential (aside from having an all-Asian cast) to provoke intense feelings either way.

Already seen some stuff about the East Asian focus, the misrepresentation of Singapore, and some purity tests of Asian descent.

Who knows whether any of it sticks.

14 hours ago, filmlover said:

The difference is that the asian community are already well served with asian movies from asia.

Which is why I don't think this will do too well in asia itself, 

I never had a feeling that books were targeting Asians anyway. They are about Asians but not specifically written for Asians. I'm sure that Asia was million of books of that kind, and TV soaps and movies. So it's more of an exotic book for mainstream American audience than anything else. 

On 8/19/2018 at 3:02 PM, PANDA said:

Watching a superhero flick about men in tights (and sometimes women) who battle and save the day in battles against CGI villains is predictable and seems like a waste.

But even in comic book movies, typical ones gross in a certain range. The two biggest movies these years were not typical comic book movies though.  One was a buildup over ten years and the other was some cultural moment. 

Typical generic comic book movies fall in the typical range of gross, not make nearly 700 million dollars a piece and be bigger hits than even a main star wars movie.

My point still stands regardless of the genre, people don't really rush out to watch movies in big numbers unless there is much of an x-factor now. That is why Romantic Comedies are mostly dead at the box office. 

Edited by Lordmandeep