That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Wknd #'s A:IW 61.8, LOTP 18.5, BI 16.5, OB 10.1, AQP 6.4, IFP 3.7, R 3.4, T 2.2

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

really solid...

if no deadpool would have flown past 700 million.

It won't matter ultimately... once they make the Deadpool/X-force/X-men vs Avengers crossover movie, having both a strong DP and Avengers brand will pay off in ways we can't imagine right now.  :redcapes:

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

BvS was successful at the BO and during it's BluRay/DVD run.  The reaction was mixed.  The difference is there are people who love BvS and people who hate it.   JL doesn't have that...  it was a nice middling piece of garbage which is often what Whedon produces so no surprises there. 

BvS had a 1.9 multiplier. That's not mixed, that's hated.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why are people talking about Batman v Superman? 

Looking forward to the conversation moving on to other films aside from Avengers and other superhero films like it. 

Maybe in another decade or so

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

#OhNo

Then a bit in an over the top mood?

I vote for you staying (not seriously thinking your account is in danger)

5 hours ago, KJsooner said:

The numbers AIW has made are just incredible considering the fact how many MCU movies you’ve had to watch to understand what’s going on. Minimum of at least 5.

Guardians of the galaxy 

The Avengers

Doctor Strange

Thor Ragnarok

Avengers age of Ultron 

I'd add CA 3 and (for the joy of it at least) BP

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

A colleague of mine who is that rare individual who hasn't watched any prior MCU movie was taken to watch IW by her family and she said she enjoyed it. It's so action packed that people with no previous attachment to the characters or story can dig it just fine.

I had to lend nearly all of my MCU DVDs/Blu-Rays to several people based on them hearing it is way better to see film xy,.... beforehand. It as a rather broad age-range. I do believe you can enjoy IW without having seen the others, but I at least would have missed a lot (not in like not understanding, in missing story like I want to see).

3 hours ago, LonePirate said:

You didn't want to take you mom to see a good movie? Hopefully she doesn't remember this day when your next birthday rolls around.

If someone else, no matter if my son or,... would try to get me / select for me, what they see as a 'good movie' I'd smack them. And would NOT watch the movie sith them.

An action movie I think is way less dangerous to provoke annoyed reactions, no one expects the other person in such a situation to judge it for its 'quality-like-a-cultural-person-sees-it'. Still, I oppose the idea of someone taking me, an adult, to the cinema anyway.

Its like when ppl try to gift you with a book for its rave reception by 'high cultural' critics or even if a sci-fi book like you like this or that, you have to like this = I never got a book I actuall liked (way too many I even hated)

Think 'we go to the movie we chose together', not '... and take her to movie xy'

I am aware about that being often a kind of tradition, or even only a tradtion of phrasing it, but I think it is time to change that kind of formulation.

not badly meant, but as you added the 2nd sentence, ... seem to take that maybe (?) a bit seriously, I think you might not be aware about certain misconceptions

1. what a mom (mum for NZ) wants really to see

2. how a mom wants to be treated in general (and way too often only participates for the family / family members)

3. I kind of feel that formulation a bit,... bullying with the tongue (not sure about the correct term) like when amazon tries to push you to join their prime $%&$ or kindle... and you have to click on 'yes, I want to pay more than..., want e.g. the print version and do not want the ebook or whatever instead.

Like a pushy try to incapacitation someone in a way that might - at first glance -let the other person look bad if he/she answers no, i did not want....

3 hours ago, DAR said:

I know my mom would never want to see anything like Infinity War.  Definitely not her tempo

I hate rom coms, before someone wants to watch a rom com with me I'd chose even a bad action movie over that. I gues me and your mom do not have the same taste (jokingly meant)

2 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

As someone who lives outside of the u,s I am telling you that fox is pushing Deadpool like crazy unlike Disney and solo. You have Deadpool trailers, Deadpool ads about not using the phone inside the theater, Deadpool huge posters ....Deadpool is everywhere on the large cinemas and has been for quite some time. Solo , on the other hand, is like it’s not even being released.

I can confirm that for my region too, e.g. in several cinemas they use DP as the one who holds up e.g. info signs about the cinema itself (nect weekend this or that event takes place) and other places I'd never before saw a life sized character...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I meant the weekend threads.

Maybe June, August, September and November. 

Least theres no reason for Marvel or DC discussion. 

:hahaha:

Until of course Disney buys out Fox and is churning out a comic book movie every month :ph34r:

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Really? So 33%+ drops for Civil War, Age Of Ultron and Iron Man 3 means it had no effect? Alright.

That being said, IW has better wom than all of those and it's playing a lot closer to Guardians 2 (25% drop), so I personally think there's a decent chance that an increase happens.

Civil War had similar Sunday drops twice in a row with Mothers day being one of them. Arguably it had no effect. Same goes for TA1 & 2, their Sunday drop weren't effected.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I meant the weekend threads.

Maybe June, August, September and November. 

Least theres no reason for Marvel or DC discussion. 

I know what you meant and even in the off-months these threads always circle back to the same subjects lol

So this month, with two Marvel movies? Of course

9 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I know what you meant and even in the off-months these threads always circle back to the same subjects lol

So this month, with two Marvel movies? Of course

I think you’re still missing my point lol

1 hour ago, Ithil said:

BvS had a 1.9 multiplier. That's not mixed, that's hated.

Super Troopers 2 has a multiplier of 1.806. If multipliers are a gauge of how well a film is liked or hated, then it should be even more disliked than BvS; but it is not. It's a niche audience film that turned out heavily on its opening day/weekend. Multipliers are not the be all and end all for assessing a film's quality.

Just now, LonePirate said:

Super Troopers 2 has a multiplier of 1.806. If multipliers are a gauge of how well a film is liked or hated, then it should be even more disliked than BvS; but it is not. It's a niche audience film that turned out heavily on its opening day/weekend. Multipliers are not the be all and end all for assessing a film's quality.

But batman isn't a nice property. There is no denying that multiplier was the result of toxic WOM. How is it that surprising? Literally no-one I've ever spoken to has liked that movie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Why are people talking about Batman v Superman? 

Looking forward to the conversation moving on to other films aside from Avengers and other superhero films like it. 

But those threads usually have off topic discussions about whether Civil War was an Avengers movie or not as there rarely is a swell of interest on here for non-fanbase films that is comparable to like when  IW opens. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

What a week. What a week, for both wide releases and for platform releases. I have quite a few things to say for quite a few films.

I was telling myself that if Avengers: Infinity War would have a good 3rd weekend if it managed to have a percentage decrease lower than 50%. And lo and behold, it had a percentage decrease lowet than 50%. That's what happens when you make a quality product that resonates with society. I can't wait to see how well it holds against its R-rated competitior, Deadpool 2, next weekend.

I decided to compare Life of the Party to other Melissa McCarthy comedies, and it turns out that this opening is worse than the openings of both Tammy and The Boss. While the film might be doing okay, that is enough to spark concern. It's clear that McCarthy needs to star in better quality films, and fortunately, she is signed up to star in such better films as soon as later this year, such as The Happytime Murders and Can You Ever Forgive Me?.

Meanwhile, Breaking In is lucky to have done as much as it did with its quality. But the budget was low enough to ensure that it was a success nonetheless. If it performs similarly to Tyler Perry's Acrimony, it will likely manage a strong total for what it is.

I did not expect Overboard to gross above $10 million on its second week. Such success is further proof that Eugenio Derbez has gained a passionate fanbase over the years.

A Quiet Place has a strong hold this weekend, likely because the film is a very applicable one to Mother's Day in its own right. That, plus it is the only prevalent horror film on the market thus far, as Truth or Dare seems to have fallen out of the public eye much more quickly.

I Feel Pretty had a very good hold for Mother's Day, but I think the film will take a dive rather soon.

Rampage had a beautiful hold, and I'm now much more optimistic that it can reach $100M domestically.

Tully really did have a good Mother's Day hold; hopefully there's still room for some healthy word of mouth to keep its legs going strong.

Black Panther will likely begin a nosedive once Deadpool 2 and Solo come out. This is neither good nor bad, as the film is certainly already a profit.

The clutch move RBG made to contend for the #10 spot is phenomenal for a film in only 180 theaters. As much as I would like to see Blockers get a 6th weekend in the top ten, I really would love to see this well-received documentary maintain its spot.

Isle of Dogs had an increase just by expanding to 344 more theaters! I'm so happy about that!

Thanks to its sudden expansion, my hope for A Wrinkle in Time to reach $100M has now been rejuvenated. Less than $3M to go! Can it leg its way there?

I don't know what to say about the foreign film Nothing to Lose, which had an impressive debut in 69 theaters. It is a Porteguese-language, self-financed biopic of Brazilian Edir Macedo, a founder of The Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. I did some research, and the church itself is a part of the "neopentecostal" denomination.

The good is that Bad Samaritan has become Electric Entertainment's highest grosser. The bad news is that the film is still an egregious flop.

I really do feel like Bleecker Street will try to put Disobedience into more theaters as soon as next weekend. On the movie reaction app Stardust, Disobedience is even listed as a May 18th release. Plus, the film is still fairly healthy. Again, if they did it with Captain Fantastic, I am fairly confident they will do it with this.

The Miracle Season seems to be on pace to hit the $10M milestone, which seems like it would a good catch for newcomer distributor LD Entertainment.

I have my eye on French film Let The Sunshine In. I feel like it is doing good for what it is, and it will likely do better in its home country.

The SeagullBeast, and Revenge all seem to have done fine business. All three platform films have experienced distributors that are doing what's best for their films, and I can't wait to see where those films go from here -- though Revenge, in particular, may struggle theatrically, as it is also an on-demand release.

Last but not least, GKids' newest anime film, Lu Over the Wall, had a profoundly disappointing debut. $66,607 from 97 theaters? That's just bad. Recent domestic-release anime successes such as Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F and Your Name. prove that films in the genre can have mild successes if they are marketed correctly. Heck, they practically just did have a relative success with Mary and the Witch's Flower less than four months ago. The credibility and goodwill is there, but it's disappointing how selective the company is in regards to putting forth marketing effort.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2