CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

DP2 was going to make whatever number it makes this weekend +/-10% no matter what weekend it opened.  

You know what... I think you are right

Exception might be a ~ weekend long wide-reaching snow-something catastrophe in winter or so.

• Thanks 1

Even with the wedding in the evening DP2 was 96% of DP1 on Saturday in Australia. 

16 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

Not much 2nd biggest Sat this year, biggest ever Sat May, 96% of DP sat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

I think that’s been generally expected. 

Yea I don't think it's going to hold the long lasting appeal of the first one which was something quite unique. They just went a little too overboard with some of the stuff in this one.

4 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Yea I don't think it's going to hold the long lasting appeal of the first one which was something quite unique. They just went a little too overboard with some of the stuff in this one.

I don’t think it having a lower multi is because of the quality or WOM, which seems on par with the first one. Just an expectation for a CBM and comedy sequel. I thought it’d open higher and have worse legs, but still end up close to the first one’s total. 

16 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

DP2 opening lower than Deadpool has got to be a minor disappointment...right?
Or maybe the first Deadpool was really a phenomenon that outpaced even the most optimistic projections. That movie making $132M OW is still crazy to me.

What do you think, how much the OW of DP1 would have been without the double holiday?

(edit: I am never disappointed as I do not do predictions, but really do not understand why anyone seems to be disappointed, but I might have missed something.

Btw, I think without the holiday... it would have felt at Sat probably 20%+ instead of ~ 10% and at Sunday ~ 20% again instead of staying flat)

Edited by terrestrial

9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

What do you think, how much the OW of DP1 would have been without the double holiday?

Base on Friday and Saturday numbers, I would say in the range of 120-125M without the holiday boosts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Lets wait and see if it does open below the first one. If it does I don't see it as a disappointment. The first opened with 132mil not 95-100mil.

As I mentioned earlier already, maybe that’s just the cap for this franchise?

Just realized how close Solo came to being Certified Fresh on RT right now. It was 20 rotten and 59 fresh after 79 reviews and the 80th review was Rotten, 81st was Fresh and they were posted minutes apart. Literally flip the order in which the 80th and 81st reviews came in and Solo would have been Certified Fresh right now despite not coming close to 75% after the 80th review and instead bouncing around in the low 70s. So much of it comes down to timing of reviews that the 80 reviews rule becomes very arbitrary.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sam said:

Base on Friday and Saturday numbers, I would say in the range of 120-125M without the holiday boosts.

I think $115-120m (both days included into the guess)

19 minutes ago, RRA said:

As I mentioned earlier already, maybe that’s just the cap for this franchise?

That's my assessment as well. I just can't figure out why it's audience would grow or even stay stable enough to not drop a little. It's legs were good but they weren't Guardians of the Galaxy good. They weren't good enough for me to think that it would open like 50mil higher than the first.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

I wasn't expecting an increase for Deadpool 2.  It wasn't going to capture the "must see"  hype of the first one.  It wasn't a culmination of some years long story arc either.  It was a solid sequel to a good movie and that's usually not going to be enough to see a big increase or any increase. 

But yet people think the number is trash.  Interesting. 

Just to give everyone something different to talk about, here are the films with multipliers above 3.000 so far this year for films opening in 1000+ theaters through Friday's estimates.

1. I Can Only Imagine: 4.831

2. Peter Rabbit: 4.597

3. Game Night: 4.045

4. Sherlock Gnomes: 3.953

5. Forever My Girl: 3.857

6. Paddington 2: 3.676

7. Love, Simon: 3.464

8. Black Panther: 3.451

9. A Quiet Place: 3.451

10. Paul, Apostle of Christ: 3.388

11. Ready Player One: 3.231

Chappaquiddick needs a little less than $200K and I Feel Pretty needs about $2.4M to join the list above. Both should make the list but it will be close for Chappaquiddick. Annihilation missed it by about $500K. A Wrinkle in Time is about $2.1M short. Blockers is shy by just under $3M. Nothing else came close or is in the ballpark for recent films. Isle of Dogs was excluded due to its first few weekends being in limited release.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Just realized how close Solo came to being Certified Fresh on RT right now. It was 20 rotten and 59 fresh after 79 reviews and the 80th review was Rotten, 81st was Fresh and they were posted minutes apart. Literally flip the order in which the 80th and 81st reviews came in and Solo would have been Certified Fresh right now despite not coming close to 75% after the 80th review and instead bouncing around in the low 70s. So much of it comes down to timing of reviews that the 80 reviews rule becomes very arbitrary.

Uh...didn’t you post this yesterday?

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 2