Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Disney isn't going to cancel Boba Fett. Solo suffers from the firing if directors and an insane budget for the amount of reshoots. Yes, it's the franchises overall low point (financially), but Disney gets so much money back from Star Wars merchandise to cover the loss of this particular film.

Just now, baumer said:

And I'm out of here again.  I can't be around all of the insane crap that gets posted here.

Toxic franchise?

Deadpool is dead?

WTF are you are guys doing?  If anyone wants to talk box office rationally, I'll be here.  But I can't sit around and read all of this crap.  Some of you guys are unbearable.

Reminds me of that one r/boxoffice thread about the test screenings. So many people there were talking about how Disney will scrap DP. LOL.

Anyone who thinks Disney will ignore DP or replace Reynolds needs to get tested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, we said Homecoming was going to die too after it had two very shitty holds in week 2 and 3.  DP2 could recover and get to 300.  It's not over yet.  

Agreed. DP2 is looking at 54-55M 4-Day. So it needs 2.5x multiplier to reach 300M. Totally doable, considering next week is an open week.

280M is locked at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam said:

Lol it’s not a good weekend drop for DP2 but whatever the total is, it’ll be a good and respectable gross.

Considering the floppage of Solo that is going on right now, it’s weird that some people have meltdowns over DP2 doing fine numbers. 

It's gonna be a long summer if this is an indication of things to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

That right there is the reason why i cant really praise Interstellar. The concept of love transcending time, space, logic and good scriptwriting is too stupid, especially in a film that declared itself scientifically accurate and logical.

Shut the fuck up interstellar is amazing

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Lol at those rounded estimates. Overboard is slowly but surely making good numbers.

In fact, holdovers numbers for this weekend (except for DP2) have been good so far.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

And I'm out of here again.  I can't be around all of the insane crap that gets posted here.

Toxic franchise?

Deadpool is dead?

WTF are you are guys doing?  If anyone wants to talk box office rationally, I'll be here.  But I can't sit around and read all of this crap.  Some of you guys are unbearable.

You are completly right, I get the Solo melddowns, $400m-$450m WW is crazy, but DP2 it's going over $600m WW easly. It's doing good buisness. At this point I woudn't be suprised that every movie that drop more than 40% this weekend might cause a meltdown. 

If yesterday we were argueing that $500m WW for solo with all things considered could make it go break even (on a 300m budget + marketing) then why woudn't DP2 do it with $125m budget and $600m + WW locked?

During AIW OW I snagged a premium account for the month. Just to test it out. Woke up this morning out of likes and with Ads, ads everywhere. Took me about five minutes to re-up for the year. 

Thanks for the sale @Water Bottle  

3 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

He actually makes good points, most of the time, no matter how blunt he comes off . I have said it again and again , it’s the truth that is trolling and even in this matter there’s more chances that d2 doesn’t make 300 million.

That's not why I said he's a troll.  Saying that DP probably won't make 300 million is fine and a rational thing to say.  Saying "Deadpool" is dead is a straight up troll comment.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Shut the fuck up interstellar is amazing

2/3 of it is amazing. 1/3 is atrocious. All in all a very enjoyable film with big flaws :)

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Home coming was a family friendly movie. Deadpool is R-rated. It’s not comparable. It’s over for Deadpool! 

If that makes you feel better about your Star Wars movie bombing. DP2 will be profitable. Solo? Tax write off. I guess it makes for good click bait on your Youtube channel. 

11 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

I don't remember the homecoming run at the bo ... the second and third weekend was bad? 

Planet of the Apes opened the 2nd w/e.   Third w/e was under 50% and after that until Sept there were low 30%s/ high 20%s drops

It was also helped by summer days and that the movie skewed young and family. 

There also wasn't another big opener after though unlike with Incredibles 2 and JW 2.  But the next two weekends are pretty mild in the competition part.

• Like 1

Logan-226m

GOTG2-389m

Wonder woman-412m

homecoming- 334m

thor 3- 315m

JL-229m 

SH films make 1.9b in 2017, but now BP and IW alone made nearly 1.3b and it's not even half of the year. Suggest that the space for deadpool 2 is much smaller, 270m total after 1.3b grosser is a disappointment maybe but I doubt there should be an hysteria  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hmm I’m not sure what these movies are trying to suggest?

Quoting movies where the highest grossing weekend movie record holder is already 11 years old just shows how toxic this weekend has been the past decade.

I’d suggest taking a quick look at the Disney flops that have been released over this weekend specifically and try to focus on why that is, and if it might just be this weekend being a factor.

I’ll echo again that a $24 million Saturday gross is pretty awful and is only possible because of the way Memorial Day weekend is set up.

I’m not going to ignore this pattern and Disney has decided on releasing Aladdin on a weekend with an unnecessary disadvantage. I’ll be the first to be happily surprised if Aladdin is the movie that breaks this Memorial Day curse. But going forward I’ll always temper any box office performance for a movie released on this weekend in the future.