CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Keep beeing so incredibly bitter and butthurt over an awesome movie, it makes its success even more satiesfying :)

The fact that you like shit doesn't make it good movie or even passable one 😉

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Firepower said:

The fact that you like shit doesn't make it good movie or even passable one 😉

Tastes are subjective you know? I know FK is a dumb movie but i love it anyway. And you hating on it wont change that in the slightest since your arguments were so full of bullshit in the last few weeks (like that Asylum effects one :rofl:) that i cant help but laugh whenever you hate on it :lol:

And btw, how is your Incredibles 2 over JWFK's OW club going? Heard you failed incredibly hard there :redcapes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

your arguments were so full of bullshit in the last few weeks

So the script is amazing and not written by incompetent idiots, and raptor's close-up doesn't look like shit compared to JP3, that's what you want to say? Because my arguments stated otherwise and you admited yourself that the movie is crap.

And Indoraptor indeed looks like shit.

31 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

And btw, how is your Incredibles 2 over JWFK's OW club going? Heard you failed incredibly hard there :redcapes:

We don't even have official friday numbers yet, so nothing is over 😉

Edited by Firepower

13 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

A quite good quality CAM version of I2 has beem leaked.. spreading like wildfire on Facebook and Torrent sites. Not sure how much impact it has...

Piracy tends not to have much of an effect here. 

• Thanks 1

I never believed when people said they expected a bit more from Toy Story 3 back in 2010, it was the #1 movie of the year after all. But I2‘s bo performance keeps me thinking....

Fun Fact: Last week was the third time this year the weekly DOM box office surpassed 400M. That happened only 2 times last year (last two weeks in December, for obvious reasons). It happened only once in 2016 (Dec again) and 2 times in 2015 (TFA in Dec again). BO is in a very good shape right now id say, given the 400M+ weekly gross should happen this week again.

• Like 4

I still don't understand why some people actually thought JW: FK would open below $100m. This is not a CBM or a Star Wars movie where a lack of online hype is worrying. Jurassic Park is one of the most GA-friendly franchises around and it will most likely remain that way going forward. I remember three years ago nobody expected JW to beat AoU, much less breaking the OW record at the time. But it seems like people have learned nothing since then.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mekanos said:

I don't think Universal will necessarily be disappointed with this performance but it will give them pause. I can't speak to the movie's quality but so far the reception seems like they didn't really try to give it something to stand out. If you've seen JW there's no incentive to see this unless you just want more dinos.

It's basically in the spot the TF franchise was after Age Of Extinction. They have a choice now on whether to try to win back the domestic audience or cruise on the OS numbers. We know how TF went...

The following is a miniature grammar rant

...if you have to use the syllables to give an acronym, you might as well just write the word out. God damn people write in acronyms way too much now. Always assuming everyone will know what they mean. IT TAKES LIKE TWO EXTRA SECONDS TO WRITE SHIT OUT. This and the increase in comma splices make me want to strangle people in charge of educating english speakers. I dont even consider myself uptight about grammar. I just think people make it needlessly difficult to understand what they're writing.

• Haha 4
  • ...wtf 3

4 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

...if you have to use the syllables to give an acronym, you might as well just write the word out. God damn people write in acronyms way too much now. Always assuming everyone will know what they mean. IT TAKES LIKE TWO EXTRA SECONDS TO WRITE SHIT OUT. This and the increase in comma splices make me want to strangle people in charge of educating english speakers. I dont even consider myself uptight about grammar. I just think people make it needlessly difficult to understand what they're writing.

JW: Jurassic World

TF: Transformers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

Does any live action original/premiere concept ever got any close to 100m OW ? 

There is surprise movies, but surprise OW are rarer, specially anything like a 100m. American Sniper would probably be the closest using limited release to build hype before going wide.

For "premiere", I count concepts/properties (even if from books/movies/news) that have never been on screen - so something like Hunger Games also counts in the concept:)...

I could see a few have a chance...especially since the box office always surprises, both to the upside and the downside...

Edited by TwoMisfits

12 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

I still don't understand why some people actually thought JW: FK would open below $100m. This is not a CBM or a Star Wars movie where a lack of online hype is worrying. Jurassic Park is one of the most GA-friendly franchises around and it will most likely remain that way going forward. I remember three years ago nobody expected JW to beat AoU, much less breaking the OW record at the time. But it seems like people have learned nothing since then.

Thats what i was trying to say for months now :lol: i do think that the fact that nearly all blockbusters are now hype-driven fanbase-vehicles (Marvel, SW etc) delude many into thinking that all big movies need high trailer views and a general feeling of "hype" - which is just not the case with all films. Especially not with JP.

Cant wait for the same people to underestimate JW3 in 2021 again.

• Like 2

So Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom's Opening Weekend will be below what the majority of posters thought its Weekend would be a month ago but also higher than what people were saying via presales just days ago. A perfect glass half full half empty scenario. Glad it happened to this film at least as opposed to a Marvel/DC/Star Wars film where the thread might really have gotten toxic. 

As for the film itself found it very dumb and silly but I did get some decent enjoyment from it. I feel like I've seen the ending of the film before though.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

I know my English isn't good. I make a lot of mistakes, but I really try to do my best. I only ever had 4 years with 2 hours of English a week. It’s not my native language so I am bound to make more mistakes. As for the use of acronyms. I think it is logical to use them, it is easy and fast. Doesn’t really take that long to get to know them.

In these examples it really helps:

POTC franchise

LOTR franchise

HP franchise

TF franchise

AOU Age Of Ultron

AOE Age of Extinction

BOTFA: Hobbit 3

DOS: Hobbit 2

AUJ: Hobbit 1  

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

Lesson Learned? You can't compare JW with SHMs and SW in terms of presales.

That's a great Friday for FK. 

A huge success for Universal. Forget the ridiculous opening by JW,it's another league and it alsways was in terms of appeal. 

Edited by Poseidon

39 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

The one lately that throws me off is AIW. Makes me think of Alice In Wonderland. I prefer to call Avengers 3 “Infinity” instead of AIW. 

The funny one is TFA. Obviously Force Awakens but people also use it for Cap America: First Avenger. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The one lately that throws me off is AIW. Makes me think of Alice In Wonderland. I prefer to call Avengers 3 “Infinity” instead of AIW. 

I like IW.

I'm looking forward to Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It-Ralph 2.

RBTI:WIR2. Now that's what I call an acronym.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, pepsa said:

POTC franchise

LOTR franchise

HP franchise

TF franchise

AOU Age Of Ultron

AOE Age of Extinction

BOTFA: Hobbit 3

DOS: Hobbit 2

AUJ: Hobbit 1  

DS:oHILtSWaLtB: doctor strangelove

BCLOFMBGNOK: Borat 

3 hours ago, YLF said:

You guys made hereditary seem like a shit movie and its actually good. Fuck BOT

I almost didnt see it because of ya'll  lol

Who besides me hates it here? This place is in love with it.