Eric Lasagna

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

2 hours ago, Geo1500 said:

BOM can be confusing tho. I think some markets are not tracked for some movies like Toy Story 4 and Aladdin don't have like 11-12 markets tracked for them while Spiderman has all it's markets covered. They could lose around 20-30M on these 11-12 markets not major markets but still significiant for them. 

Markets like 

Jamaica

Kuwait

Qatar

Israel

Nigeria

Ireland

Sir Lanka

kazakhstan

Egypt.

Etc etc.

They don’t lose anything though.... BOM still gets the reported total WW gross. So the numbers aren’t off by 20-30M.

As for Avatar, these numbers were reported by Fox. They just never updated them. 
http://dwc.cnbc.com/B310K/?fs=1&utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

(Credit to Charlie for this link on Reddit)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Where them Sunday day numbers at? Summon the gods!

Too early, it's only 8pm on the west coast. Most likely we'll be getting updates around 1am eastern time.

• Like 1

Wow The Farewell did great this weekend. If actuals come in around the same it broke an A24 record for highest PTA on a second weekend beating Lady Bird. Its chances for Oscar nominations are looking better and better. 

Edited by Fanboy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Wow The Farewell did great this weekend. If actuals come in around the same it broke an A24 record for highest PTA on a second weekend beating Lady Bird. Its chances for Oscar nominations are looking better and better. 

Ok, Farewell was a pretty great movie.

Liked it a lot.

But can I say...I went to a free screening, pre-bought out by god knows who...and it was 80% empty.  Like, walk up and you’re in.

Then, I saw another screening like that.  No I didn’t go.

But, it’s a good movie.  Watch it!  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MattW said:

I think 50-52, down ~15% or so from Saturday.

51 would keep 25 Monday feasible. Would guess,

30.5 (+22%)

20.5 (-33%)

19.0 (-7%)

= 95 Mon-Thu

25.7 (+35%)

34.6 (+35%)

27.7 (-20%)

= 88 2nd weekend (-54%)

Gives nearly 375 10-day.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

51 would keep 25 Monday feasible. Would guess,

30.5 (+22%)

20.5 (-33%)

19.0 (-7%)

= 95 Mon-Thu

25.7 (+35%)

34.6 (+35%)

27.7 (-20%)

= 88 2nd weekend (-54%)

Gives nearly 375 10-day.

#3 grosser of 2019 in 10 days. Yep those folks predicting a nonevent were TOTALLY right.

• Haha 1

@Charlie Jatinder and @Rthroar I’ve been wondering how does the country of Barbados count towards box office. I’m going there in a few weeks and want to know is it folded in domestic numbers or Latin America? Also what is the biggest movie there and this year if possible?

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

Though I am indifferent really to TLK's OW, since I had a feeling it was gonna do well anyway, I can understand some of the BOT users' feeling of disappointment for missing $200M. I mean prior to the release of Endgame, I remember some folks here were predicting TLK would take the 2019 domestic crown or would battle it out with Endgame. Who knows, TLK might leg it out to get near Endgame. It's not exactly a movie one had to watch immediately for fear of some big spoilers.

Disney likes to lowball Sundays so TLK could be higher than estimates. We'll see in a few hours.

20 minutes ago, sahmeelg said:

Though I am indifferent really to TLK's OW, since I had a feeling it was gonna do well anyway, I can understand some of the BOT users' feeling of disappointment for missing $200M. I mean prior to the release of Endgame, I remember some folks here were predicting TLK would take the 2019 domestic crown or would battle it out with Endgame. Who knows, TLK might leg it out to get near Endgame. It's not exactly a movie one had to watch immediately for fear of some big spoilers.

Disney likes to lowball Sundays so TLK could be higher than estimates. We'll see in a few hours.

No way it leg to 850M, it will need the best legs atop of this huge opening (4.5x) if we assumed the OW actuals are 190M

I can see it getting 3x and maybe something like I2 multi for total of 570-620M, I don't think it will dip below 550M

• Like 3

Also the title line "Disney keeps on winning"

It's tge truth of world cinema right now, no matter what you do, Disney keeps on winning. Disney is competing with itself. 

To make things interesting, let's make it internal competition, Disney's other properties (SW, Avatar, WDAS) vs Marvel one's.

What i mean is if Marvel were to detach from Disney and started their own thing, will they be able to compete or possibly beat Disney?

Now MCU has its current roster plus let's say Marvel still gets their hands on X Men, Deadpool & F4 vs Disney.

It's a very hypothetical situation but suppose it happens somehow, who'll come out on top?

Edited by THUNDER BIRD