grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Got to admit... I am really surprised there isn't more discussion on this thread about the last line of the trailer. 

Like... folks.... Re-watch that and consider the implications. 

"After all these years, going back to where it started.  Back to The Matrix?"

===

On the one hand, I am legit surprised WB would throw that Wham Line into a trailer.  Coz it is going to cause a TON of speculation (and since the movie script has allegedly leaked, informed speculation will inevitably seep into discussions - SO PLEASE KEEP THAT OUT OF HERE, EVEN OBLIQUELY).

No matter what it means, one might think that WB would want this as a surprise.  On the other hand, by putting this out there this should prime folks to expect... Weirdness.  Even for a Matrix film.

One thing is for sure.  This isn't a retread of the first film.  Similar beats, perhaps.  But I expect a MASSIVE deconstruction of the Matrix Trilogy (and everything it spawned in Hollywood and real life) incoming.  And that might be... Well I can see why some folks are saying this might be a wee bit contorversial when it comes out.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

HBO Max is an issue also. I think this has more recognition than say Dune, and nostalgia as well, but this is more uphill than I think people expect. The Wachowski name is not the draw it used to be.

The matrix is a draw though to be fair. It's been the perfect amount of time since the last one, if a 2nd trailer actually manages to wow us, it will blow up. The thing I dislike is the tone, it doesn't seem like there will be much tension. I remember the final chase in The Matrix having me on the edge of my seat like few action movies manage. The matrix itself was not so bright and beautiful, it was a green shaded dull environment where you never felt safe. Right now it doesn't even seem like they are going for that.

On second thoughts the bright environment is probably to do with his pills 

Edited by Chicago

Wow. The trailer looks amazing. I'm kinda torn though. I loved the first movie and mostly remember everything that happened but I barely remember what happened in the other two movies and tbh I'm not thrilled with the idea of rewatching them before this comes out.

Edited by poweranimals

32 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This had potential for a big OW. But its potential is limited by the stupid AT&T decision to show it OD in HBO Max. Now 150m domestic is good considering the situation. 

Why they released Dune one month before in the countries without Hbo Max?

It's the first time this happens this year so maybe things can still change. If dune makes good in the first two weeks outside the Us they can still change for Dune and Matrix. 

Edited by vale900

9 minutes ago, Chicago said:

what-does-it-mean-austin-powers.gif

I have a few ideas (and again, folks who actually know please don't even give implied commentary, thanks) but I'm trying hard not to think of them too much.

Do think it means that everything we saw in the trailer about Neo talking to that character  isn't nearly as straight forward as it initially appeared. 

2 minutes ago, vale900 said:

Why they released Dune one month before in the countries without Hbo Max?

It's the first time this happens this year so maybe things can still change. If dune makes good in the first two weeks outside the Us they can still change for Dune and Matrix. 

Honestly, yeah, they should push back the international release date to Nov 19th or something. Would probably like double the movie's intl gross if they did that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

"After all these years, going back to where it started.  Back to The Matrix?"

===

On the one hand, I am legit surprised WB would throw that Wham Line into a trailer.  Coz it is going to cause a TON of speculation (and since the movie script has allegedly leaked, informed speculation will inevitably seep into discussions - SO PLEASE KEEP THAT OUT OF HERE, EVEN OBLIQUELY).

No matter what it means, one might think that WB would want this as a surprise.  On the other hand, by putting this out there this should prime folks to expect... Weirdness.  Even for a Matrix film.

One thing is for sure.  This isn't a retread of the first film.  Similar beats, perhaps.  But I expect a MASSIVE deconstruction of the Matrix Trilogy (and everything it spawned in Hollywood and real life) incoming.  And that might be... Well I can see why some folks are saying this might be a wee bit contorversial when it comes out.

It's exactly this. It's a natural sequel after the end of the third movie, have some really bold ideas but it's clearly a coherent sequel.

It have some similar beats because the nature of the movie demands that, Matrix is a program, so it must have some cycles and repetitions, the interesting part is using that to create something new, and based on the leak Lana manage to do that in creative ways. I'm curious to see the execution to find out if she will find a satisfying way to develop all that, but the idea is very interesting (more than Reloaded and Revolutions actually).

It should be divisive since people like these soft reboots and nostalgia, the trailer is selling that but the movie will deliver something else.

But i hope critically wise, people will not be unnecessary harder with Wachowski work this time, Ressurections is Lana work alone but both have a pretty good filmography. Bond and Matrix are both excellent movies, Reloaded have way more good things than people admit. V For Vendetta is pretty great (they didn't direct but it's clearly their project), Speed Racer i saw recently and i was shooked it's so panned because it's a wonderful and visually original experience despite being an adaptation, Cloud Atlas is a great non-conformist tale developed in a beautiful way. The movies have some flaws but they're very talented, creative and bold, still i feel people didn't gave them enough credit for that and pretty much all their movies need years before starting to be called "cult".

Even their lesser movies have good things, i hated Jupiter Ascending when i watch at theater but i saw it again last month and it's actually very interesting. It have terrible casting, that romance is ridiculous and obviously forced by studio, but still have very creative ideas and ambitions (it's beautifully shot too which helps). ViewerAnon said this is closer to Cloud Atlas in quality so i hope Lana find respect from critics, audiences will probably show up anyway based on trailer reception.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Porthos said:

LOOOLLLLLL

---

ERC is fighting in the comments, BTW, about how well Matrix 4 would have done without HBO Max.

He is super pro hybrid release and want to force his opinion so badly, that is why he has been trashing Shang Chi numbers all week.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

LOOOLLLLLL

---

ERC is fighting in the comments, BTW, about how well Matrix 4 would have done without HBO Max.

This have 16M views on twitter / YouTube alone in just 6 hours (counting only US channels).

Anyone thinking this a "hardcore scifi movie" in a dismissive way to call it a potential flop is being dumb, the hype is clearly real and Warner will loose much money because of HBO Max.

I can see this pulling some GxK and grossing 400M despite the pandemic and the day and day release, but this could easily be 600-700M if it was theatrical exclusive even with the pandemic 

• Like 2

The Matrix franchise is "hardcore sci-fi" ? Its ground breaking action and visual effects and was a pop culture phenomenon and still is very influential and still has great interest. Without day and date and releasing at the right time it would do very well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

This had potential for a big OW. But its potential is limited by the stupid AT&T decision to show it OD in HBO Max. Now 150m domestic is good considering the situation. 

It's even dumber than Disney's PA thing. At least with PA Disney is potentially making up for less box office with some amount of money. In the case of Black Widow an extra 125 mil. With HBO Max they're adding, what, 1 mil subs per month at best? And in the case of HBO Max profits, they're already a replacement for HBO Now and the dwindling profits from cable. So how are they possibly making any *extra* money from it? 

• Like 1