grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

1 hour ago, CloneWars said:

I honestly think they gave up on their HBO MAX movies. If it's not a DC property, they just aren't going to promote it.

Anyway, I missed the original in theaters. I saw Reloaded and Revolutions on opening night. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but I also truly stand by my potential $10M OW. Spider-Man is going to slaughter this and WB doesn't seem to be spending much ad money to spend this. I don't know a single person outside box office forums who even knows this is coming out. Maybe, I'm wrong. I guess I can see it doing double my $10M and getting $20M OW, but this film wasn't setup to succeed.

damn , like X-files movie 2 ? People moved on. Its just odd Dune got more marketing spend with Matrix 4 having a higher potential.

If Warner had any tangible faith in the film, they would've pushed it back by at least half a year the second that No Way Home trailer dropped. As it stands, I think the executives were confused and dumbfounded by the finished movie (and in that case I really wonder why they didn't go for a safer director since the Wachowskis are known for being rebellious, quirky filmmakers) and deliberately decided to keep it in close proximity to Spidey in order to have a convenient excuse when it bombs/underperforms. They're at least hoping that they'll get some Max subscribers out of it. Better than leaving empty-handed.

Ironically, Warner greenlit this movie on the exact same day the Disney-Sony split happened. It's funny how things are going to turn out now.

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

If Warner had any tangible faith in the film, they would've pushed it back by at least half a year the second that No Way Home trailer dropped. As it stands, I think the executives were confused and dumbfounded by the finished movie (and in that case I really wonder why they didn't go for a safer director since the Wachowskis are known for being rebellious, quirky filmmakers) and deliberately decided to keep it in close proximity to Spidey in order to have a convenient excuse when it bombs/underperforms. They're at least hoping that they'll get some Max subscribers out of it. Better than leaving empty-handed.

Ironically, Warner greenlit this movie on the exact same day the Disney-Sony split happened. It's funny how things are going to turn out now.

Spidey won't be an excuse if this bombs, Christmas Holiday supports multiple films, historical data backs that up

15 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This theory is wrong like all your other ones lol. No, the easiest answer here is that WB and AT&T are stupid.

Dune was very well marketed indeed, but it was a different situation.

Villeneuve was already pissed with the whole HBO Max thing, i'm sure he (and Legendary of course) demands a strong advertising campaign before accept the deal, which WB / AT&T probably accepted because it's the beginning of a new franchise and one of their contenders for awards.

I have doubts Lana is in the position of bargaining like this.

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

54 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This theory is wrong like all your other ones lol. No, the easiest answer here is that WB and AT&T are stupid.

No, the easiest answer is neither WB nor AT&T wanted to re-negotiate contracts AGAIN by punting this movie for half a year and pulling it off HBO Max.  If HBO Max wasn't a factor, then they very probably would have moved this long ago.

I mean, this isn't that hard to come up with as a reasonable answer.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No, the easiest answer is neither WB nor AT&T wanted to re-negotiate contracts AGAIN by punting this movie for half a year and pulling it off HBO Max.  If HBO Max wasn't a factor, then they very probably would have moved this long ago.

I mean, this isn't that hard to come up with as a reasonable answer.

I was thinking of expanding and saying what you said, but I specifically said they're stupid because they easily could've made a more flexible deal just in case of a situation where reverting back to a theatrical release would be the best option (like right now), but they didn't. It's just incompetent descision making on their part.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FWIW, I'm seeing a fair amount of commercials for this on various sports ball events, so it's not like there's no marketing.

“There’s no marketing” is secret code for “there’s a lot of marketing”

2 hours ago, Product Driven Legion said:

“There’s no marketing” is secret code for “there’s a lot of marketing”

Usually it just means "I don't have TV and use adblocker". Anyway I feel there's at least SOME hype for this, reddit at least is eating up the promo material, it isn't as widespread as you'd think it would be though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

If they’d tried to make another Matrix without the Wachowski’s it’d have done considerably worse than this one will do. I doubt they’d have got Keanu or Carrie Anne Moss back without Lana being on board.

It’d have just come across like a cheap knock off and bombed way harder than this one. I doubt Resurrections bombs though, I’m thinking Dune numbers overall.

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

Usually it just means "I don't have TV and use adblocker". Anyway I feel there's at least SOME hype for this, reddit at least is eating up the promo material, it isn't as widespread as you'd think it would be though.

Yeah I’ve started to see more ads for it, I keep seeing short versions of the trailer being pushed as the promoted tweet at the moment on Twitter, and I’ve seen a few TV spots. No billboards yet in the UK though, although to be fair I haven’t seen any for Spider-Man yet either, film ads tend to pop up about a week prior to release here.

6 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

If they’d tried to make another Matrix without the Wachowski’s it’d have done considerably worse than this one will do. I doubt they’d have got Keanu or Carrie Anne Moss back without Lana being on board.

It’d have just come across like a cheap knock off and bombed way harder than this one. I doubt Resurrections bombs though, I’m thinking Dune numbers overall.

Yeah I’ve started to see more ads for it, I keep seeing short versions of the trailer being pushed as the promoted tweet at the moment on Twitter, and I’ve seen a few TV spots. No billboards yet in the UK though, although to be fair I haven’t seen any for Spider-Man yet either, film ads tend to pop up about a week prior to release here.

Keanu has said he wouldn’t do without the Wachowski’s on board.