sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Jumanji 2 $59.25M | Frozen 2 $19.07M | Knives Out $9.14M | Richard Jewell $4.68M | Black Christmas $4.24M

Richard Jewell is looking to easily become Clint's lowest-grossing English language directorial effort since 2002's Blood Work and depending on how much the holidays boost it (or not), potentially since 1999's True Crime. Yikes.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Richard Jewell is looking to easily become Clint's lowest-grossing English language directorial effort since 2002's Blood Work and depending on how much the holidays boost it (or not), potentially since 1999's True Crime. Yikes.

Shame, looks a lot better than 15:17 to Paris, and even The Mule. 

Richard Jewell was a gamble from the beginning. Films involving bombings or terrorism are a touchy subject anymore. Also the trailer wasn’t really that great, it had that wait for cable kinda vibe. 

Black Christmas not doing well. Well the 2006 remake wasn’t really successful either. Also too It seemed like it was Happy Death Day 3: Christmas Vacation

Christmas horror is also another gamble, Krampus was a rare success, Silent Night Deadly Night flopped even with the controversy. And also Jack Frost(the mean one) and Santa’s Slay went to straight to video even.

As for horror remakes, the original Black Christmas was never really an established IP or horror film like Halloween or Friday The 13th are today. 

Jumanji doing well isn’t a shock considering that on the low Deadline is saying now after matinees and what not, $46 million I figured would be a great target. It’s predecessor will be a tough match to compete with, but keep in mind it also had Christmas boost and was a Wednesday release as well. So domestically if this holds up low end this does $250 million domestic or so.

Edited by Maxmoser3

7 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Ouch, just never thought Richard Jewell would be big but its wayyyyy under what I had thought. And thats only "ok" for Knives Out.... needed a better hold with the screen slashing that will hit it. 

At one point Jonah Hill was in line for the title role and DiCaprio was going to play the lawyer Sam Rockwell plays.

now THAT version may have made money.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

So combined Thursday and Friday is 16-17 million? If so, YAAAY. After that ending I need a 5th Jumanji.

That ending absolutely sticks the landing and is the perfect setup if they want to do another one.

Spoiler

Wouldn’t it be great to meet the avatars as they are supposed to be?

10 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Ouch, just never thought Richard Jewell would be big but its wayyyyy under what I had thought. And thats only "ok" for Knives Out.... needed a better hold with the screen slashing that will hit it. 

In a lot of circles Jewell is being seen in a political light as, essentially, a pro-Trump movie. So that’s hurting it, and while Trump has plenty of die-hard fans, the connection is too vague to pull them out. And that’s on top of it being a tough sell to begin with.

• Like 2

I don't think Richard Jewell fizzling has anything to do with politics or the controversy surrounding the Olivia Wilde character's depiction or anything. It was honestly just a hard sell, especially at this time of the year when people seek cheerier fare. Reminds me of other adult drama nonstarters like All the Money in the World (which was unable to sell many tickets despite ending up the most talked about movie of the holidays that wasn't Star Wars two years ago).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think Richard Jewell fizzling has anything to do with politics or the controversy surrounding the Olivia Wilde character's depiction or anything. It was honestly just a hard sell, especially at this time of the year when people seek cheerier fare. Reminds me of other adult drama nonstarters like All the Money in the World (which was unable to sell many tickets despite ending up the most talked about movie of the holidays that wasn't Star Wars two years ago).

I don't even want to get into it much but the people creating the controversy surrounding Wilde's character seem to be exaggerating her portrayal in the movie. She seems to have a relationship with the FBI officer in the movie (and isn't just paying with sex). In real life, she was in a relationship with an Atlanta PD officer.

6 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Yesterday was a Friday, teens where a school and couldn’t make it to the cinema, today Black Christmas will become the walk up king.

1.2 (+420%)  

6.26M (+420%, law of dankness)  

32.66 (+420%, basic exponential extrapolation at this point)   

40.35M

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 3

42 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't even want to get into it much but the people creating the controversy surrounding Wilde's character seem to be exaggerating her portrayal in the movie. She seems to have a relationship with the FBI officer in the movie (and isn't just paying with sex). In real life, she was in a relationship with an Atlanta PD officer.

Wait! Hold up! So the scandal was overblown?? Well I'll be.

People aren't in the mood for a movie that depicts a white man in a sympathetic light (which is actually the whole point of that incident; the truth wasn't good enough for people, they wanted a story where RJ was actually the perp). 

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

You really think this is possible? Don’t get my hopes up now.

I can’t tell for 100% what is real and what is people goofing off, so just to be clear, no. Given the F13 boost I expect a 3.5 weekend of thereabouts, maybe lower given that the movie is supposed awful.    

If you were really looking forward to it and hoping it would do well you have my condolences, but at this point it’s a huge flop. Hopefully you find some personal enjoyment in the movie itself.