TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

I guess women lead, edgy, action movies  don't sell. is it too woke?

I don’t necessarily think it’s all that smart to exclude your key demographic from all marketing, and actively push a political agenda too much. It rarely makes for good box office. Unfortunate truth here is that a Harley Quinn movie pitched at teenage boys - with everything that entails - would probably be doing better business.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL, why would Cathy Yan career be over lmao? Positive reviews plus didn't go over budget for this type of a movie. 

This

Studio Exec: What about Cathy Yan?

Studio Exec 2: She made that BOP movie that was good but didn't do the well at the BO, next

Studio Exec: But sir she's a good upcoming filmmaker

Studio Exec 2: I said NEXT!!!!

😂

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL, why would Cathy Yan career be over lmao? Positive reviews plus didn't go over budget for this type of a movie. 

she's asian

she's female

not many of em' out there :bagoverhead:

• Sad 2

Honestly I have seen this film twice now (and loved it) but, awful marketing aside, there are obviously some awful decisions here...

1.It’s a film that could really use a PG-13 rating. I did hear the argument that the rating helped tell a Harley Quinn story but maybe this story needed Poison Ivy and Catwoman and not the birds of prey. Dinah and Helena could be later be used in a proper BOP movie with Barbara in it.

2.All that would actually have the backing of the comic book fans.These guys are basically nazis when it comes to their favorite comics and things such as this can really make them settle to their basement sofa and hate on the film.So these guys obviously didn’t turn up.

That’s the 2 I can think of right now without writing and entire essay but there are more...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Shall we maybe wait and see what the Friday number is before we discuss total gross? Lol.

(OS OW was guessed to be $60-70m, not $100m)

Meant WW OW, think that should have been pretty clear from context. Now’s a fine time to discuss total gross, obviously error bars are wider than they will be later in the run.

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Brave and controversial guess: if it ends up on the lower end domestic and OS number is horrible, it could actually miss 200 mln WW.

Sure. Worse than 50/50 split on international and under 100 domestic it's easy to see it. I hope not!

6 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

.It’s a film that could really use a PG-13 rating.

There's some really unformartable stuff in the movie that was necessary (mostly with the way it deals with misogyny). I think it really couldn't have worked with a PG-13 rating.

• Haha 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

WTF?

Is that really just production budget?

Donno how big an IP that is in West but that's disaster coming soon.

Top Gun is a pretty big IP in the west, among a certain age group. I really think it will take off the way American Sniper took off.

The original Top Gun adjusts to something like $550M in US if i recall correctly.

I'm sure budget is somewhere between 150-200, that's the price of a live action, action tentpole film. Don't see why it would be any different from eg mission impossible price. 

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

That would be shocking. The worst perfomance for Marvel/DC based film since Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance?

Fantastic Four (2015)

Watch Fantastic Four Now Button
Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $56,117,548 Details
International Box Office $111,731,639 Details
Worldwide Box Office $167,849,187
  • Like 3