grim22

Weekend thread - Sep 11 to 13 | Tenet and Broken Hearts Club grosses are shielded from everyone. Is this the end of box office reporting?

WB's big mistake was releasing a 210 million budgeted movie with just 65% of the theaters open...

Even worse, it's a new IP and it's a confusing movie even for Nolan's fanboys. I mean, did WB really think Tenet would bring audiences back to theater based on the name of the director? What were they thinking?

Tenet isn't the movie that you see a trailer and says "Hell fucking yeah, I need to see this! I'm excited".

I was actually more excited ( and I'm still excited ) to see Candyman. Hell, even Freaky managed to impress me with that trailer.

WB did the wrong move and released the wrong movie. That's all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

Give it time and the box office will transform like Optimus Prime. Few people know that theaters are open. Lockdown going for 6 months has caused behavior changes by consumers to be much more permanent. What we REALLY need is multiple high profile films in a relatively short period of time. The combined advertising and interest in them will really jumpstart things. 

Vaccine + Death on Nile, Black Window, and Bond in a 4 week span will be very helpful. 

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Give it time and the box office will transform like Optimus Prime. Few people know that theaters are open. Lockdown going for 6 months has caused behavior changes by consumers to be much more permanent. What we REALLY need is multiple high profile films in a relatively short period of time. The combined advertising and interest in them will really jumpstart things. 

Vaccine + Death on Nile, Black Window, and Bond in a 4 week span will be very helpful. 

This is "Herman Cain tweeting from beyond the grave about coronavirus not being bad" levels of delusional insanity.

• Haha 11

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

You think a coronavirus vaccine is going to be out by the release date of Death on the Nile? In 5 weeks time?

I'm not surprised on this.  It doesn't stop the box office discussion but does dampen the weekend numbers till sunday but these are unsual times.  I don't doubt if Tenet was better than expected that WB would have been more forthcoming.......   

As for sony Until November the only other film i can see they are releasing is "Connected" (Animated film).  So they are probably only playing the game here because of WB doing it with Tenet.  The obvious red flag already is WB delaying WW also meaning they feel the market isn't ready (I release they are probably trying to spin it as Tenet needs more room to breath, but the reality is, opening WW in this environment is suicide for a film of this size.

I'm starting to agree with most on here that releasing a major tentpole before end of the year is unrealistic if you want to actually recoup your losses.

I think the most sound approach is to use small and mid tier releases so you can limit your losses and slowly bring the BO up to a level that will allow those bigger releases to work again (to be realistic, i think we have a long long time ahead of us before we even see a 30m+ OW.  (I could see 20m happening in this environment if LA / NY reopened. but i feel that is probably the limit.)

^ in regards to the november releases, unless something dramatically changes, I don't see even half of those films staying put - espectially Black Widow, No time to die and Soul.  I feel like 1 release every 2 weeks at the moment with probably 1 blockbuster about every 2 months is all that is going to work and even then losses will build.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, excel1 said:

No theaters open here in Charlotte yet