Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

48 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Widow is missing $200M at this rate.

This is an example of being over the top and too early. 

This is the films second Friday everyone. 

$26m this weekend. 3x this weekend gets it to $210m. 

For example, A Quiet Place 2 has already done 3.4x its second three day. 

• Like 3

Do we have any sort of comparison of how many people in America have Disney+ vs. HBOMax? It seems to me like the Disney PA seems to have a more significant impact than the HBOMax streaming does despite that being free and more accessible - but I'm not sure if this is because the bigger/better Disney brand or because they have a more specific type of family film that appeals more to home viewing.

Narrowly  missing 200 imo. Below what I’d hoped but not too bad with delta and PA.   

Shang probably also getting thrown to PA and maybe like 65-> 160 or something.   

Human race still being where we are with covid like 18 months after we designed the vaccines is just massively, almost unbelievably, embarrassing.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Do we have any sort of comparison of how many people in America have Disney+ vs. HBOMax? It seems to me like the Disney PA seems to have a more significant impact than the HBOMax streaming does despite that being free and more accessible - but I'm not sure if this is because the bigger/better Disney brand or because they have a more specific type of family film that appeals more to home viewing.

Considering how good Cruella is doing, I won't say it hurts that drastic. 

With Black Widow there are many variable at play. I think Disney and Marvel are not realising this but having Disney+ Marvel show and movie airing same week is killing some hype. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This is an example of being over the top and too early. 

I am being optimistic with $200M goal post. If I was to be real would be thinking 190-200.  

This is the films second Friday everyone.

Which is late enough to get the gist of legs. In most cases first weekdays are enough.

$26m this weekend. 3x this weekend gets it to $210m.

Doable, but more likely 2.5x, and considering the legs has been ehh so far, could very well be just around 2.4x.

For example, A Quiet Place 2 has already done 3.4x its second three day. 

Yes, but that I was saying from weekdays of that film itself, that it is going for 165-175.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Those WB films debut on the far lower level than Disney, therefore they are less impacted. PA access will not turn a film into a flop in cinema but I think they restrict the film from going for upper limit like above 100m  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Narrowly  missing 200 imo. Below what I’d hoped but not too bad with delta and PA.   

Shang probably also getting thrown to PA and maybe like 65-> 160 or something.   

Human race still being where we are with covid like 18 months after we designed the vaccines is just massively, almost unbelievably, embarrassing.

i dont believe that delta at least so far affected it in any way

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

That feels bad, is it? That’s pretty much 2 days gross. Feels like a franchise killer. It’s like Happy Death Day 2 again.

Not really sad to not see another Escape Room. The first one i felt was medicore at best and this one doesn't seem any better.

47 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

The people who care about what critics say weren't going to watch Space Jam in the first place.

Yup.

"I went to see Lebron act expecting Brando performance. I was very disappointed." ... said no one ever. 

I think Shang-Chi might not go PA after all. Also, I am happy that movie will coincide with What if and not a live action show. 

Hoping Hawkeye also debuts after Eternals. Those 2 movies are more important for Marvel's future. 

36 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

So Space Jam probably gets around 32 million, unless it stays flat today, in which case probably around 35?

On its way to being another $100M DOM movie, b/c summer weekdays will definitely help...that's one movie I will say that for:).

PS - Damn, it feels good to have actually been right this week...congrats to all those who saw this coming from last weekend's thread (or even before - see, I knew Lebron wouldn't cry:)...too bad we never made that club!:)...

• Like 7

I'm with "too early to write off 200M for BW" crowd. Second weekend tumble was expected. And we know that stabilizing period comes after. So lets wait and see if it chugs along nicely from this point onward which would be normal. Also, as I said already, if it comes close enough to 200M but needs a push, Disney will take it over the mark for they did it in the past with close milestones. Double features, dollar theaters you name it. They'll find the way.

• Like 1

From Deadline...

"Space Jam: A New Legacy received an A- CinemaScore, the same grade as the first 1996 movie and saw a bulk of walk-up business last night, especially from teens, indicative of moviegoing for the first Lego movie which broke beyond its family demo. Huge turnout by African Americans at 36%, Latino 23%, Caucasian 32% and Asian/other 9% in Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits. Space Jam: A New Legacy overperformed in the East and South, but the West was the most dominant territory. Premium Large Format screens drove 4% of the business, I understand.

On CinemaScore exits, those under 18 gave Space Jam: A New Legacy a solid A, while those under 35 gave it an A-, along with the under 25 demo. Males (53%) and females (47%) gave the Lee directed sequel an A-. PostTrak exits were less brighter than CinemaScore showing 78% in the top two boxes and 58% recommend, though kids under 12 gave it a 84% positive with a 70% recommend. PostTrak make-up showed 58% guys, 60% under 25 with 48% under 17."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

On its way to being another $100M DOM movie, b/c summer weekdays will definitely help...that's one movie I will say that for:).

PS - Damn, it feels good to have actually been right this week...congrats to all those who saw this coming from last weekend's thread (or even before - see, I knew Lebron wouldn't cry:)...too bad we never made that club!:)...

I actually said 50m OW at a point pre-pandemic - people have been making fake posters for this movie for like a decade. There was def hype for it for a very long day and alot of buzz when the trailer dropped. I would have predicted about 55m OW without HBO Max and pandemic impacts. Feels good to be right on this one after being so wrong on In The Heights.

Now, the only other movie with as many fake posters on my social feed is a live-action Boondocks movie.....someone call up Samuel L. Jackson.