Eric is Quiet

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

With ERC saying Glass Onion grossed $13M over the five days for a PTA north of $20K and BPWF on pace tp be Disney's biggest hit of the year so far, the holiday weekend was not a total disaster; but it certainly was nothing to celebrate, either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I thought Netflix never reported BO? How come KO2 box office was formally recognized everywhere? 

There was enough interest in its numbers that all the trades (and apparently The-Numbers and BOM) reported what was told by "industry sources". Netflix still has never released official box office numbers.

• Like 2

Just a reminder that you still have a few hours left to submit your minimum top 5 for the Coen Brothers Countdown. Feel free to join and support the guys who made classics like Fargo, Big Lebowski, and Inside Llewyn Davis, among other features.

It is what it is. Really think the pressure is mounting on Netflix to give into more theatrical exhibitions, clearly people still do want to go to movie theaters when they're hyped for something, as further evidenced by Amazon's recent investment in it.

Probably will be a Knives Out 3 in any case.  

Edited by AniNate

I would not hold my breath on Netflix investing in more of a theatrical run. Any filmmaker who makes a movie for them knows exactly that their film will go straight to streaming. I can’t blame Rian Johnson for taking the huge bag he was offered but this is what Spielberg meant when he said streaming was killing theaters. 

18 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Blame the filmmakers 

i would stop being a "i believe in the magic of the movie theater" guy too if Netflix wanted to pay me $100 million, shit.

could've seen glass onion this weekend but since it's a tv movie i'll wait a few weeks to watch it on tv.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think it's for four movies

The answer is both are ripe for theatrical, and Netflix is leaving massive monies on the table in ancillaries and the biggest window ever with their one week play of the Rian Johnson-directed, Ram Bergman-produced sequel, which they picked up as a two-pic package for $400M+ as Deadline first reported.

DEADLINE

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Glass Onion is one of the great box office what-ifs. Would have had a really big run. Shame.

Glass Onion and Soul are the two biggest in the last few years for me.

Imagine if Maverick had come out in Dec 2020 as originally planned, made 60M domestic, and none of us would have ever known what we missed out on.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Glass Onion and Soul are the two biggest in the last few years for me.

Imagine if Maverick had come out in Dec 2020 as originally planned, made 60M domestic, and none of us would have ever known what we missed out on.

Turning Red's a big one for me too.

• Like 2

Having seen Glass Onion on Friday, I am glad. We watched Disenchanted with the kids last night, and the difference between experience wise can't be understated. But I will always champion the theater experience over strictly home viewing. 

Mind you, I couldn't have afforded to take the whole family to a decent showing of Disenchanted since 6 tickets, plus the time and food adds up way too quick right now with the local cheap times retired for the season apparently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LonePirate said:

With ERC saying Glass Onion grossed $13M over the five days for a PTA north of $20K and BPWF on pace tp be Disney's biggest hit of the year so far, the holiday weekend was not a total disaster; but it certainly was nothing to celebrate, either.

There were a few individual good performances. The box office as a whole though is in utter shambles. That's not hyperbole; it's bad.

Hoping 2023 is the light at the end of the tunnel we need though. I'm feeling optimistic for next year.

7 minutes ago, Verrows said:

There were a few individual good performances. The box office as a whole though is in utter shambles. That's not hyperbole; it's bad.

Hoping 2023 is the light at the end of the tunnel we need though. I'm feeling optimistic for next year.

There's no depth. You see it in the Top 10 most weeks, but it gets worse, the further you go down the chart. I was looking at the annual cumulative box office on The Numbers, and from 2000-2019, the movie that ranked #100 for the year grossed $20-30 million domestically. In 2021, movie #100 made $2.12 million (The Father). 2022 isn't over but isn't shaping up to be much better: right now, the 100th biggest release of the year is Crimes of the Future at $2.45 million. There's an enormous dropoff in overall attendance.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Maggie said:

Holly shit, this is bad. When even the greatest director is flopping this badly, you know things are never going back to what they were

The end times are upon us.  The most talked about media this year besides Top Gun 2 has been Stranger Things, THE BOYS, House of the Dragon, Andor, Better Call Saul, Prey, etc.   I hate to say it but I've only been to the theater once this year and that was for THE NORTHMAN because nothing else has grabbed my attention.  That might change with ABADAH 2(if only to be in the conversation about it) haven't decided yet.

Two of the biggest movies next year KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON and NAPOLEON will likely be primarily streaming.  At least there's DUNE 2 and Oppenheimer I know I'll see next year at the theater.

Soon movie theaters will be a seasonal thing for Disney and Superhero movies(Summer, Nov-Dec).

• Like 1