Eric S'ennui

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

40 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

So I guess it’s fair to say that Avatar didn’t leave a cultural footprint after all….

We tried to warn the incredibly limited amount of people in the Avatar community and they refused to listen.

2 minutes ago, jason1230 said:

One third of A4 and part of A5 is filmed, so if it comes under 1.5B, 4 will probably still happen

…which will basically fund A5.

I mean.. let’s be a real. A1 is so loved and has made 3 billion dollars. A2 will make another 1.5b minimum so the 3,4 and 5 are basically done. Let’s just be real for a second. 

Im a bit annoyed at myself that since ive been on the forums (2017), ive been arguing with the Cameronites that Avatar 2 would never be able to replicate or even surpass the first ones success and yet, 1 month before the release of this, ive changed my mind and was on the hype train only to now realize that i seem to have been right all this time.

Anyway, im seeing this on the 26th and for the visual spectacle alone im excited for it.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t get the full meltdown mode BOT is in again.

we are getting around 120M true FSS, possibly under 30% drop next weekend, beefed weekdays and last weekend of the year the drop will be something funny like 8%.

$500M DOM till end of the year

Just now, JimiQ said:

possibly under 30% drop next weekend

Christmas Eve Sat and (a post-pandemic weaker) Xmas Sunday is the worst set-up for a holiday second weekend. Dropping under 50% should be considered a win for an opening of this size, going sub-30% would be pretty ridiculous 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Garbage article - anyone who puts Minions 2 as the 2nd worst movie of the year only probably watched 2 movies this year...

It's not War and Peace, but it was wildly better than many things I saw in theaters (and on streaming that had been in theaters) from the animated world...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gkalaitza said:

Whose consensus is that? By audience reactions and ratings all across the globe it seems to be like the people's/GA consensus is that the story delivers well enough and doesnt need saving. Not amazingly so that the movie is raised to a MASTERPIECE but certainly i dont see how the consensus isnt generaly positive about the story unless you that perception is informed by reactions in smaller online circles.

Also i dont see any indication or reaction that this anything other than great in 2d as well, let alone a dud. Yeah imax 3d seems to elevate the visual experience to all time highs for a lot of people but that doesnt mean it still doesnt look better than the vast majority of blockbusters in normal cinema screens as well. Yeah people wanna wait to get that imax 3d experience but dont think there have been negative or middling reactions out of 2d screenings or that its anyhthing close to "just any other movie" there visualy

Thats how I see it from reading reviews and eliminating the extreme highs and lows. "Masterpiece" and "its terrible" are not counted here because most people never agree on those opinions.  If the suggestion is seeing it in 2D is not all that different to the essential experience of the film, then its bit odd that Deadline is making excuses for its box office receipts by stating there are not enough Imax and 3D screens to accommodate this film. Usually when Deadline starts laying the groundwork for why something is not bigger than they want it to be personally, this is how it reads. 

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

If this comes under 1.5B WW Avater 4/5 are dead in the (way of) water IM

To be fair,1.5 billion is nothing to sneeze at and more than every other film this year. Disney would love to have another franchise making that every 2 years or so.

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Garbage article - anyone who puts Minions 2 as the 2nd worst movie of the year only probably watched 2 movies this year...

It's not War and Peace, but it was wildly better than many things I saw in theaters (and on streaming that had been in theaters) from the animated world...

Variety is known for only watching two films a year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, M37 said:

Christmas Eve Sat and (a post-pandemic weaker) Xmas Sunday is the worst set-up for a holiday second weekend. Dropping under 50% should be considered a win for an opening of this size, going sub-30% would be pretty ridiculous 

Yeah I will never get used to the new box office variants. With that said, I think @JimiQis right when he says that meltdown mode is silly, even if there is one thing that is a staple of this message board is most definitely meltdowns. Avatar will do fine, the single other film to break $1B this year and will likely top TPM worldwide.

I do think that the nature of the film going experience has changed from 2009 to now, and that was a factor before the pandemic: frontloadness. That wasn’t a factor at all with Titanic and Avatar, but I do think that will have an effect here. The difference between 2009 and now is that films aren’t the sole source of entertainment, and just like Wednesday is currently popular as fuck (I will likely not watch it, but at least here in Brazil, it’s quite popular), next month comes the next shiny new piece of entertainment in the shape of The Last of Us. I wouldn’t necessarily say that I’m 100% sure that Avatar gets to $500m+ dom, but it’s more likely than not.