LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (January 26-28)

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Oh great another outrage incoming! Just let Nolan have it all OK? 

Godzilla has the most impressive PTA on Friday, $1406 followed by Zone of Interest's $1087. Nothing else hit 1K PTA so despite increases overall, lots of empty seats I can imagine.

They got the PTA wrong. Godzilla -1 is now at 1800 theaters, not just 535. The PTA should be around $400, instead of $1400

This is where the annual habit of distributors holding back the best late 2023 films to Jan/Feb pays dividends for us in the U.K.  

Annoying, but when we see the lack of much that’s decent opening in the US, we’ve got superb films coming every week in these traditionally barren months. It’s why I’ve never understood the need to cram so much quality to the end of a year, but I guess Oscar qualification dictates that. 

Just saw Poor Things and Holdovers back to back on a chilly Saturday afternoon. Bliss. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

They got the PTA wrong. Godzilla -1 is now at 1800 theaters, not just 535. The PTA should be around $400, instead of $1400

I noticed that too. Still a nice bump for -1 though. Passing Parasite was its last big goal and it’s going to clear that pretty easy now. 

49 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

ah OK than Zone wins. Still point remains that all PTAs are shoddy so lots of empty seats everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Can't risk the fans of the most successful filmmaker alive feeling fragile

Cameronbros about to commit sudoku. :hahaha:

Jk aside, he deserves to sweep as Director and Producer together with his wife Emma Thomas which would be a nice PJ&Fran Walsh moment. 

Edited by Valonqar

Migration may hit 10x  after all.. certainly not the trajectory I had in mind when I thought that, but good for it if it gets there. Wonka locked to save us from a possible summer to summer stretch with no 200 DOM at least. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

This is where the annual habit of distributors holding back the best late 2023 films to Jan/Feb pays dividends for us in the U.K.  

Annoying, but when we see the lack of much that’s decent opening in the US, we’ve got superb films coming every week in these traditionally barren months. It’s why I’ve never understood the need to cram so much quality to the end of a year, but I guess Oscar qualification dictates that. 

Just saw Poor Things and Holdovers back to back on a chilly Saturday afternoon. Bliss. 

It’s always annoying at the time, but great in January. Poor Things two weeks ago, All Of Us Strangers last night, Iron Claw on Tuesday and then The Color Purple. Stacked! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

It’s always annoying at the time, but great in January. Poor Things two weeks ago, All Of Us Strangers last night, Iron Claw on Tuesday and then The Color Purple. Stacked! 

exactly.  Every year I’m like “I can’t believe we have to wait until January to see that” and then, before we know it, it’s here. 

We have this crazy preconception that January is so far away from December - I guess because of the holidays build up. The reality is the opposite. It’s here before we know it and, like you said, stacks to see. 

I’ll be seeing Color Purple and All of Us Strangers this week. Can’t wait. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

3.2-3.5M for Poor Things probably, seems good to me, should be around 25M by SUN

30M is locked, it can top The Favourite afterall depending on next weeks holds 

I think topping the Favourite is guaranteed at this point, as that one topped out at 34 million domestic. 

This will be at 25 million by Sunday and have the entire month of February to play, plus will get more awards attention along the way (SAG awards still to come - Oscar night itself). Unless the studio pulls a The Holdovers and stupidly puts it out in streaming too soon, it’s going to be a slow burn with great holds in the coming weeks. 

Speaking of the Holdovers, it got a nice bump this weekend despite being a $5 ticket at AMC theatres and being limited to 1-2 shows a day. Imagine if it weren’t streaming free on Peacock already!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

I think topping the Favourite is guaranteed at this point, as that one topped out at 34 million domestic. 

This will be at 25 million by Sunday and have the entire month of February to play, plus will get more awards attention along the way (SAG awards still to come - Oscar night itself). Unless the studio pulls a The Holdovers and stupidly puts it out in streaming too soon, it’s going to be a slow burn with great holds in the coming weeks. 

Speaking of the Holdovers, it got a nice bump this weekend despite being a $5 ticket at AMC theatres and being limited to 1-2 shows a day. Imagine if it weren’t streaming free on Peacock already!

Disney usually waits at least a full two months to make their movies available to watch at home, so the earliest Poor Things will no longer be theatrical exclusive is around Valentine's Day/President's Day weekend. Though they might wait another month until right after the ceremony on 3/10 when the marketplace won't be on life support like it is now.