ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

The Marvels record will still stand though as biggest drop off ever from 1 to 2. That was -$924m less than the first.

I actually don’t think that can ever be topped. Well, never say never 😅

Aquaman , Alice in the wonderlands, secret life of pets, captain marvel and now joker all show that even predecessor being a mega-sized hit can turn into dust in their immediate follow ups. And many of the example I listed here, the original was actually pretty well received, so you can't blame the poor quality of the first affecting the sequel. 

Now come to think of it, Avatar 2's run was actually pretty decent.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Aquaman , Alice in the wonderlands, secret life of pets, captain marvel and now joker all show that even predecessor being a mega-sized hit can turn into dust in their immediate follow ups. And many of the example I listed here, the original was actually pretty well received, so you can't blame the poor quality of the first affecting the sequel. 

Now come to think of it, Avatar 2's run was actually pretty decent.  

Avatar did amazingly well World Wide IMO

It was hit by 150-200 million in China as well and Russia. 

Just now, Torontofan said:

Avatar did amazingly well World Wide IMO

It was hit by 150-200 million in China as well and Russia. 

With a full China and Russia it would've topped $2B OS

No movie has done so in its original run, the closest we've seen is Avatar with $1.993B lmao

Edited by HummingLemon496

All this does is prove what a "right movie at the right time" lightning in a bottle sensation the first was. Even with a better reception than what it's getting, I think duplicating the factors surrounding that movie (from the manufactured "this movie is gonna inspire real life violence!" controversy to the novelty of a character drama in comic book movie clothing) were always going to be an impossible task. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Increased despite losing PLF  

1.) Wild Robot (Uni) 3,962 theaters, Thu $2M (+9% from Wednesday), Wk $45M/Wk 1

Great Thursday night for TWR. For me , it's defintely above 20M . If it plays like Transformers One , it will make 21,6M (-40%) . I expect more around 6M for True Friday and 24M for the week-end (-33%).

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I do find it funny that for all the worries that the first Joker would cause people to bomb movie theaters, they decided to actually release a bomb in theaters this time.

This is a joke Arthur Fleck would have done during the stand-up scenes in the first movie lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Quinn said:

This is a joke Arthur Fleck would have done during the stand-up scenes in the first movie lol

Well someone had to appeal to fans of the first since Todd Phillips clearly didn't.

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Are we in a case currently where bad movies bomb-fail and good movies make lots of money? 👩🏻‍💼🤔

Not really. 

Mario is mid at best, D&W is mediocre, Inside Out 2 is just ok, No Way Home is awful. 

Top Gun, Barbie, Avatar 2 and Oppenheimer all great tho. 

Dungeons and Dragons flopped hard and it was pretty good. Same for Furiosa.

Don’t see much co-relation between quality = success.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not really. 

Mario is mid at best, D&W is mediocre, Inside Out 2 is just ok, No Way Home is awful. 

Top Gun, Barbie, Avatar 2 and Oppenheimer all great tho. 

Dungeons and Dragons flopped hard and it was pretty good. Same for Furiosa.

Don’t see much co-relation between quality = success.

Nah, No Way Home is awesome

• Knock It Off 1