Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

Guillermo Del Toro Talks Pacific Rim 2 Casting

What’s going on with cast for Pacific Rim 2? You haven’t brought back actors Charlie Hunnam or Rinko Kikuchi?

That’s not entirely true. As a producer I learned not to declare anything about a movie I’m not directing. I can tell you this — a lot of the cast from the first movie is coming back. I leave those communications to Steven DeKnight. He’s not only a director, but he’s actually a guy I respect and admire and it’s his movie.

Do you weigh in on casting? Can you talk about attaching John Boyega?

I admire him tremendously. The idea for me is that this is a continuation of the great leadership character that was Idris Elba. It’s a very different character but I love the idea of having a main character who is not a white Anglo-Saxon guy. Before the heated conversation about diversity in film started we were doing Pacific Rim. And I think that universe is a huge proponent of that.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guillermo-del-toro-pacific-rim-913640

20 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Expected, but kind of a dick move from the director. 

This whole thing screams "Huge creative discrepancies", between everyone involved, maybe that´s why Legendary pushed back the film and searched for another one to direct, I wouldn´t be surprised if only Ron Perlman returns for this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

:sadben:

Reveal hidden contents

yeah I know, but I didn't realize that until after I posted and I didn't feel like editing my last post as I was going to lunch :P

but my sentiment still stands tath I have little interest in this sequel lol

but yes I missed the joke at first so I'll take the consequences ;) 

22 hours ago, Belakor said:

This whole thing screams "Huge creative discrepancies", between everyone involved, maybe that´s why Legendary pushed back the film and searched for another one to direct, I wouldn´t be surprised if only Ron Perlman returns for this.

I really liked the Japanese actress. If she doesn't return then this movie can go to hell. They probably will hire some chinese actors for boxoffice reasons, which will make this nothing but a money making exercise for 1 market.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

I really liked the Japanese actress. If she doesn't return then this movie can go to hell. They probably will hire some chinese actors for boxoffice reasons, which will make this nothing but a money making exercise for 1 market.

Exactly.  People shouldn't be surprised Hunnam isn't returning...which, by the way... I seriously doubt was due to "the director"...rather it was his own/agent's choice.  I don't expect Kikuchi back, either.  Some of the supporting players, perhaps...but this thing will basically be a "loose sequel" or SINO. 

On July 25, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Goffe said:

'Liam Hemsworth to play male lead in Pacific Rim 2'

On July 26, 2016 at 8:28 AM, 75live said:

I didn't have much interest in this anyway, but having Liam starring drops my level interest even lower

Close enough. Scott Eastwood joined.

A franchise which isn't a draw lost the director who pretty much was the big name and is leaning on Boyega and Eastwood while competing with Black Panther, Deadpool 2, Wreck it Ralph and a very crowded March. This isn't going to end well.

• Like 3