CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

While the lack of a short is kind of upsetting, admittedly their shorts have failed to really stand out in recent years. I’d say the last exceptional one was Day and Night way back with TS3.

Bao made me want to leave the theater and ask for my money back until I remembered I was actually excited to see I2.

....erm, no, there was Piper in 2016, which was fucking incredible. Even better than Finding Dory, and I liked FD. Also, Lou was pretty good too (no one remembers that one because it came out with Cars 3, but whatever).

I agree with you on Bao, though. I liked the message, but the movie was weird as fuck.

@superduperm Incredibles 2's OW was 180 fucking million. It skewed far more on presales than a Toy Story movie ever would. Not an apples to apples comparison.

And finally, to anyone taking Shay's bait....... don't feed the troll.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, superduperm said:

That’s a very controversial move IMHO. Hopefully it doesn’t affect box office performance (probably won’t at all lol)

Why would it? It's not like people go just to see the short beforehand.

• Like 1

Re the shorts, I think Olaf coupled with the new streaming service led them to the decision to pull them from theaters. In years past they might've attached Smash and Grab to this, but now they can shorten the total theatrical runtime and keep kids from getting antsy while still maintaining their short form audience.  

And for the record, all the SparkShorts so far have been pretty good at least. Kitbull is fantastic.

Edited by tribefan695

9 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

And THERE goes my last reason for possibly seeing this regurgitated mess... 😕

Also, some resident overpredictors here might get a nasty surprise... AGAIN. lol

Edited by shayhiri

8 hours ago, catlover said:

Whaat? To me, Bao was cute, moving and so relatable.

Same here. Bao is the best in some time and I'm surprised that folks here didn't like it given its reception. It's quite unique, beautiful and deep.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

....erm, no, there was Piper in 2016, which was fucking incredible. Even better than Finding Dory, and I liked FD. Also, Lou was pretty good too (no one remembers that one because it came out with Cars 3, but whatever).

I agree with you on Bao, though. I liked the message, but the movie was weird as fuck.

@superduperm Incredibles 2's OW was 180 fucking million. It skewed far more on presales than a Toy Story movie ever would. Not an apples to apples comparison.

And finally, to anyone taking Shay's bait....... don't feed the troll.

9 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

While the lack of a short is kind of upsetting, admittedly their shorts have failed to really stand out in recent years. I’d say the last exceptional one was Day and Night way back with TS3.

Bao made me want to leave the theater and ask for my money back until I remembered I was actually excited to see I2.

Racists *adds to list*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I will also second the Piper love. One of their best and I really hope Barillaro gets a feature gig soon

Tbh we can't fully judge directors by their shorts. Peter Sohn did Partly Cloudy, which wasn't one of my faves but it was cute enough, and then his big feature debut happened with..... The Good Dinosaur. Which..... yeah. I mean, sure, TGD was basically a shitdropping from Bob Peterson whose mess was left on Sohn to fix. But then again, the same thing could be said for Josh Cooley and Toy Story 4, after Lasseter and some of the original writers departed the project less than two years ago, and, apparently, the film still came through fine, so I think that TGD looks less excusable in hindsight.

That being said, Piper was so good that I do want Barillaro to get a full feature soon as well. As a matter of fact, it's strange that a lot of directors of far more successful shorts than Partly Cloudy, like Ralph Eggleston (For The Birds) or Jan Pikava (Geri's Game), haven't gotten full features yet. Even Josh Cooley, whose directorial work had been on two feature-related shorts, George And AJ (based on Up) and Riley's First Date, got a Toy Story movie. And Dan Scanlon got the Monsters University gig with his only "major" work for Pixar having been a credit on a fucking Mater short as co-director.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

You're comping against just one movie though.  Other comps are pointing to a higher number.

Also, I'd expect a higher internal multiplier (Thr number -> OW) for TS4 than for I2.  So a straight comparison of pre-sales to OW isn't quite right with the two movies.

Finally, pre-sales also depend on the last four days where they really ramp up.

Think it is far too early to be slamming the panic button, in other words.  In fact, I see no need to hit it.  Right now at least.

I could see it hitting TS3 OW at the floor (think it'll do better though). But even then, it's not like TS3 was some huge flop and matching it would be a bad performance.

I have been against this movie from the start, but with an average rating of 8.57, I may actually go see it.

For comparison both 90%+ Dory and I2 were below 8...and both sucked. Coco and Inside Out were both above 8, with the latter nearly at 9.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BK007 said:

I have been against this movie from the start, but with an average rating of 8.57, I may actually go see it.

For comparison both 90%+ Dory and I2 were below 8...and both sucked. Coco and Inside Out were both above 8, with the latter nearly at 9.

While I certainly don't think Dory and I2 sucked, I agree they were underwhelming. I2 fooled me the first time by being a lot of fun into not realizing how much of a blatant rehash of the first it is. They could have gone so many interesting directions with it, and instead they decided to remake the first movie. Their execution was on point, but it's still a rehash when the dust settles. Which of course is the issue with Dory as well, though that one was always an unnecessary sequel so it made more sense we got a rehash. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4