Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Howard the Duck makes a cameo, it really wasn't worth it in my opinion since I knew it was coming.  The cameo in the end credits scene is only good if you don't know it's coming.  (Hence about 4 different people in my theater exclaiming loudly multiple times WTF Howard the Duck?!)

Why you avoid spoilers, dude.

Howard the Duck makes a cameo, it really wasn't worth it in my opinion since I knew it was coming.  The cameo in the end credits scene is only good if you don't know it's coming.  (Hence about 4 different people in my theater exclaiming loudly multiple times WTF Howard the Duck?!)

I did not it was coming and was shocked but I would not care to see the credit scene. Iron Man has the best credit after credit scene. I think Phase 1 overall had better after the credit scene. 

• Like 1

I did not it was coming and was shocked but I would not care to see the credit scene. Iron Man has the best credit after credit scene. I think Phase 1 overall had better after the credit scene. 

I think it's because they were all about setting up the Avengers, so they all felt like they were leading to something.  The new after credit scenes don't have that same build to them.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Ronan was defeated after:

They used that special weapon on him

Rocket rammed him with his ship

The space ship exploded

The dance distraction so they can:

use the special weapon on Ronan again (albeit this time on his hammer)

The Guardians team up to use the infinity stone against Ronan

Ronan is destroyed

Everybody: I can't believe Ronan was destroyed by the dance scene. No, people, the dance distraction was only a minor part of his downfall. A funny part...but minor. I conclude therefore than Ronan is an underrated villain.

Also, and I'm a bit tired here so sorry for the incoherence, but I appreciated Peter's internal character arc a lot better the second time around. I thought the music was a way to connect him to Earth but the second viewing connected the dots for me: the music is the only way he's connected with his mom. That's why he had to make sure he got it during the prison escape and why he was wiling to get electrocuted when he saw the prison guy playing his music. So I guess the scene during the infinity stones at the end where Gamora asks Peter to touch hands but he sees his dead mother makes more sense now: on the first viewing, I thought that whole arc felt disconnected.

Finally, Groot is the best. This I am convinced of.

For all of these reasons I'm bumping the movie grade from A- to A.

• Like 5

5/5 - Any film that gets this rating is one that gets me in some core, emotional way.

Thor

.......EXPLAIN YOURSELF! (As in, how did Thor get to you in an emotional way). 

Just flat out didn't like it.  I didn't like the characters, didn't find it humourous, find it to be cliched and basically it's Spaceballs but without Mel Brook's humour.  The Orb is basically a pocket sized Deathstar, Groot is Chewy and Raccoon is Han.  The scene where Groot continues to say "I am Groot," and Rocket interprets what he is saying as things like, "yes we should go after them" and so on, is exactly what Han does with Chewy.  It had the generic Marvel air battles with the generic space ship fight and then you had Thanos, who is supposed to be the greatest warrior in the galaxy, or so I have been told, and yet in this he comes off as a pussy.  And every scene I have seen with Thanos, (two films now), all he does is sit on his floating throne and talk nonsense.  

I realize I'm in the minority on this so I won't go any further but it's just a silly and derived film and one that did nothing for me.

5/10

You just made it on to Jessie's most hated posters list  ;)

• Like 1

I am totally unsure whether or not I should recommend this film. It has a lot of good things going for it, such as strong and good characters, solid acting, a great soundtrack (seriously, I never thought I would say that), a fun story, and key human moments. 

And yet, when I look at it as a whole, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed. And here's why: I just didn't feel for any of these characters (except Groot). Yeah, they all had their sad backstories, and they all were honorable, but the human moments just felt forced to me. I don't exactly know why I feel this way (although, I think Gopher might be on to something when he says that the filmmakers had the characters talk too much about their lives, as opposed to showing it) but it is an issue. And the thing is, it's an issue I find in so many Marvel films and blockbusters, so it was disappointing that a film like this one, which so unique, struggled with this typical problem. All in all, I probably would recommend it, but it's not an enthusiastic endorsement. 7/10 (or a 6.5/10). 

• Like 1

Wow. Most overrated film in recent memory. No idea how or why people are going nuts about it. Yes, I had raised expectations, but still, a random scattershot of thoughts below:

Opening sequence, derivative, cheesy and generic.

Comic timing was off on majority of comic moments. It became quite painful to watch. The punchlines were there but took an age.

Songs, for the most part, misplaced.

Random moments of "Hey, this is why I am a flawed hero, sympathize/empathize with me now please," no better than any blockbuster.

Most blatant moments of "explain what is happening" I've seen in a long time. Showing not telling please. Worst offender was Gamora quipping, "HEY you so smart! No gravity outside but gravity inside ;))))))))" No.

Plethora of ridiculous deux es machina moments of immortality from Star Lord, Gamora, Groot, Drax, the main villain and random citizens who never get hit. Yup. Too many to point out.

It was an interesting galaxy, of what we saw, but doesn't even come close to Blade Runner in 1982 even with all its new flashy CGI. This is a movie that tries to skate by on that with token moments of "character" thrown in. Also cheesefest with the quite bad makeup and mountains of cuts to characters we don't care about.

Seriously don't know why the jizz is out. Oh wait, I do, it's a Marvel movie.

• Like 1

Exactly, save the better villains for the sequel when the team is already set up and developed, this movie was about forming the Guardians not Ronan.

"We won't make or write a proper villain because it's only the first movie."

That's a damn lousy excuse.

Good movie one of the best MCU movies. Star Lord was great and the humor was great. But the story was paper thin and the villain sucked. There some moments that over the top like the whole thing about being in space with no protection. 

3.5/5

This is laughable. Same old consensus opinion.

I say butt to my peers and I'm 22. I also say ass.I really don't care that Ronan was a weak villain. To me, this was a movie about getting a bunch of outlaws to transform into a team of guardians. Ronan was the catalyst.The real villain of the movie was the characters own self-interest over the good of the universe.

I thought you were 28 or just old. That's quite a cool revelation.

You know, this movie is a real tear jerker too.  I know I shed a single drippy tear when Groot said, "We are Groot."

Your standard for what constitutes character moments seems to be really low. "Heart" as so many people have tried to point out, is not a bunch of throwaway lines. That's just bad writing. I suppose because it is different from the MCU that people are fawning over such been there-done that scenarios but really, it's all been done before and better. Nothing here comes close to moments in Edge, Dawn, Dragon, DOFP even TASM2 had better character moments. I think I blame the director that everyone is heaping praise on. A lot of dubious creative decisions.

Chris Pratt is great but Zoe Saldana is wasted. Should've used Vin Diesel as Drax since at least he can show some emotion. Bradley Cooper's voice acting was superb. Nothing else to say. Colourful and nice to look at, I suppose. Some nice development of futuristic or rather sci-fi stuff. Knowhere set design.

I think it's because they were all about setting up the Avengers, so they all felt like they were leading to something.  The new after credit scenes don't have that same build to them.

Phase 2 After credit scenes

IM3: talking to Banner. Awesome! It made the narrative in the film make a lot more sense

Thor 2: Mid credit, okay. After credit, also okay. Not terrible though. Liked the GotG tease.

Cap 2: Mid Credit: WS, good! After credit, teasing AoU, also good.

GotG: Dancing Groot, okay. Howard the Duck, okay

So, Phase 2 has provided one really great after credit scene and the rest have been average to good. I personally don't hate any of them, but the average ones don't really stand out either.

And as a final note, despite my problems, criticisms and etc. I did find it enjoyable to watch. Just no real desire to see it again.

The trailer was a lot better than the final product.

Also, people keep saying Groot steals the show and etc. I think it's pretty sad that a CGI tree is doing that. You're kind of degrading the character to Minion-like status with Despicable Me. He says one line, throws a couple cute faces and BAM show stolen? I don't think so.

Sure, we don't want or need the same old gritty bullshit that everyone is trying where Nolan succeeded (and then failed) but this film was not fun enough (yup) and its dedicated moments to backstory and character were thinner than air. I think a much better, beautiful and fun movie is in here somewhere just in a better director's hands. A lot of problems I had could be sorted out just like that. Still wouldn't be a masterpiece because the writing's a little shit but yeah.

at this point I think they're only doing bits after the credits because people expect them. they don't want fans leaving the theater grumpy cos they held in their pee all the way through the credits and didn't get anything.

that said I thought they were fun here.

• Like 2

Well to be honest, Im an asshole but I'm not a 100% a dick.

80% of people on this forums opinions don't mean much to me anymore. I mean Im sorry but when I see  8 A+'s in a row for this movie your telling me that you haven't "thought" about this movie to much.

I mean, you can like it or love it. But Do you guys all think its equally as good as films like Star Wars? Aliens? Jaws? The Godfather? because when you say A+ or 95/96/97 to me thats what Im reading. Plus I know if we sat face to face and had a coffee while discussing movies I'm sure 90% of you would say you really liked GOTG but its not quite Star Wars…. So I don't understand when I see Star Wars like grades.  

If Empire Strikes back is a 98 to you but you give this a 97 yet mention the villain is a little  weak, the plot to a little generic, the pacing isn't as good, the score is not close to Star Wars… Why our your guys grades so close then?

Food for thought.

My review to come later.

PS. I LOVE ALL OF YOU, Don't hate. 

• Like 5

Well to be honest, Im an asshole but I'm not a 100% a dick.

80% of people on this forums opinions don't mean much to me anymore. I mean Im sorry but when I see  8 A+'s in a row for this movie your telling me that you haven't "thought" about this movie to much.

I mean, you can like it or love it. But Do you guys all think its equally as good as films like Star Wars? Aliens? Jaws? The Godfather? because when you say A+ or 95/96/97 to me thats what Im reading. Plus I know if we sat face to face and had a coffee while discussing movies I'm sure 90% of you would say you really liked GOTG but its not quite Star Wars…. So I don't understand when I see Star Wars like grades.  

If Empire Strikes back is a 98 to you but you give this a 97 yet mention the villain is a little  weak, the plot to a little generic, the pacing isn't as good, the score is not close to Star Wars… Why our your guys grades so close then?

Food for thought.

My review to come later.

PS. I LOVE ALL OF YOU, Don't hate. 

Maybe the best way to deal with that is just to ignore people's grades, and just focus on their comments. 

• Like 1