kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

43 minutes ago, Ithil said:

Weird or not, I don't count out Christmas musical releases in advance.

Nine (which also had Judi Dench in it) flopped massively over the holidays a decade ago this year. This movie seems to oddly have a ton in common with that one in that it should also be a "can't miss" project on paper (Broadway smash, director who previously enjoyed major success in the Broadway-to-film arena, all-star cast that's a mix of award-worthy actors plus a pop star or two), although I doubt it posts numbers that low and misses $20M like that did.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

I remember when people claimed that Mary Poppins Returns was going to make a billion dollars because of America and Europe's love for the original. Although I think the movie could do okay I'm not ready to say that it does any more than a standard non Disney live action remake musical. So like 375mil is the most that I see right now.

30 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I remember when people claimed that Mary Poppins Returns was going to make a billion dollars because of America and Europe's love for the original. Although I think the movie could do okay I'm not ready to say that it does any more than a standard non Disney live action remake musical. So like 375mil is the most that I see right now.

That would definitely save it from flop territory. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Aladdin turned it around with the official trailer, when they scored with "A Whole New World". 

I would argue that Aladdin turned it around after opening weekend, with great WOM. 

Aladdin's 3.9x multiplier (for the 3 day opening; 4 day holiday opening multiplier was 3.1) is far greater than that of Lion King (2.8) and Beauty and the Beast (2.9). Better than Jungle Book's 3.5x as well.

43 minutes ago, Taylor said:

BOM is listing the budget as $90 million.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt5697572/

That sounds more reasonable. While CG is more expensive than people think, it's also less expensive than people think, if that makes sense.

Like His Dark Materials on BBC has some incredible quality CG for its creatures, without a movie level budget (it has a big budget for BBC, but doesn't approach a blockbuster film budget). 

And it's not like Cats' effects look very good anyway.

28 minutes ago, Ithil said:

Like His Dark Materials on BBC has some incredible quality CG for its creatures, without a movie level budget (it has a big budget for BBC, but doesn't approach a blockbuster film budget). 

His Dark Materials also has a very low number of Daemons on screen at a single moment, at least compared to the books and the movie. On the other hand, there are shots in Cats (at least based on the trailer) that contain a few dozen extras that all need to be Cat-ified.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

On the other hand, there are shots in Cats (at least based on the trailer) that contain a few dozen extras that all need to be Cat-ified.

What if they have developed a program that can cat-ify any actor cheaply? Maybe they can even release it as an app after the movie and make a profit from that alone?