grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

I am not sure what was the logic behind giving 185m budget when the last one failed to gross 100m !!!!!

Take Trek trilogy. All fairly well reviewed and entertaining. but they failed to break into OS audience and now its better off making Streaming series than movies. May be Terminator will end up there as well. JC once he gets the rights will sell it to the highest streaming bidder.

Edited by keysersoze123

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

I am not sure what was the logic behind giving 185m movies when the last one failed to gross 100m !!!!!

Take Trek trilogy. All fairly well reviewed and entertaining. but they failed to break into OS audience and now its better off making Streaming series than movies. May be Terminator will end up there as well. JC once he gets the rights will sell it to the highest streaming bidder.

Definitely should have scaled back the budget. Would have made a better film actually

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

With Maisie Williams as Sarah Connor. :sarah:

• Astonished 1

23 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Domestically its doing ok. Probably not enough for the budget but a finish ahead of Genesis is likely and may be if WOM is good could go after Salvation domestic as well.

OS run is not good, China has been shocking to say the least. I have been following china BO for a long time and I cant think of any sequel that dropped so much !!!!.

This one wasn’t made to pander to China, unlike Genisys. China eats up movies that pander to them almost as much as they eat up movies that inherently appeal to them.

Ultimately, Dark Fate is coming off the badwill of the last one, in an overall struggling franchise.

Edited by Jay Beezy

China usually doesn't give a crap about Hollywood's pandering. Genisys was a BvS level disaster that damaged the series and all of the "it wasn't that bad" crowd now have to admit that it was really that bad. It is a shame that the, according to those who have seen it, better movie has to pay for the sins of the last film.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

Between the disappointing box office for Rambo:Last Blood and the likely failure of this, I suspect studios are not anxious to back any more attempts to revive 80's and 90's action franchises.

Last Blood , even with a very modest 50 Million budget, barely broke even and Dark Fate looks to actually lose money, question is how much.

I think  audiences have sort of moved on.

Predator, alien, rambo, terminator...list goes on..80s remake either flopping or disappointing at box office..next up Ghostbusters.

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am not sure what was the logic behind giving 185m budget when the last one failed to gross 100m !!!!!

I doubt JC will do so.  He is very pro-theatrical, and he really want to control the franchise. (he tried very hard to prevent Tim Miller from making Dark Fate as his own movie.)

Terminator also didn't work as a tv series; the first Terminator tv series was cancelled. (JC 's  tv series Dark Angel was also cancelled.)

Afterall, Dark Fate isn't getting bad WOM.  If JC can find a way to make Dark Fate sequel with around $80 million budget, he will get financed.

Edited by John2015

36 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I have never understood why the studio keeps on greenlighting these movies...especially with such insane budgets. 

I had no idea Genisys did $350m OS...what? Did China do over $100m or something?

Dark Fate is a special case

Because the king of the world wanted to make it

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

I have never understood why the studio keeps on greenlighting these movies...especially with such insane budgets. 

I had no idea Genisys did $350m OS...what? Did China do over $100m or something?

It s because a sci-fi movie about robots and AI called Time Robot would do half or even less.

Hell, it would not be financed by the banks.

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

To me an okay opening for a film with 185mil budget is 60mil outside of the December Holidays. And legs aren't guaranteed. I've seen plenty of claims of long legs for low openers and rarely have seen those claims come to pass. I recall when Alita was going to have long legs in North America just this February. I know fans hate these "doom and gloom" posts but usually the doom and gloom posts are right.

This movie is for fans only. It won't attract GA. Once fandom rush is over, it'll collapse. 

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

To me an okay opening for a film with 185mil budget is 60mil outside of the December Holidays. And legs aren't guaranteed. I've seen plenty of claims of long legs for low openers and rarely have seen those claims come to pass. I recall when Alita was going to have long legs in North America just this February. I know fans hate these "doom and gloom" posts but usually the doom and gloom posts are right.

It depends on the thread you look at. Most people viewing a terminator thread are terminator fans and fans rarely accept the doom and gloom so offer a more unrealistic and biast opinion which tend to be wrong. One issue with this site is if someone comes into a thread offering a realistically disappointing prediction some member will try labelling them a troll because they wont accept their franchise is not very appealing anymore. 

The same thing happened with Alita. Anyone could have told you Alita would flop but you go into the Alita thread with fans of james Cameron then the general consensus will be very different, and usually wrong.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

That is exactly right. China “saved” it from becoming an outright financial super disaster. It’s of course moot now since in Dark Fate, that movie never happened.

16 hours ago, dudalb said:

Between the disappointing box office for Rambo:Last Blood and the likely failure of this, I suspect studios are not anxious to back any more attempts to revive 80's and 90's action franchises.

Last Blood , even with a very modest 50 Million budget, barely broke even and Dark Fate looks to actually lose money, question is how much.

I think  audiences have sort of moved on.

Predator, alien, rambo, terminator...list goes on..80s remake either flopping or disappointing at box office..next up Ghostbusters.

Watched it on IMAX with 25-30 people in a 300+ seater at a 4:10 pm show in North India's first and largest IMAX screen.

There was an american wearing a black vest and biker gang shoes with long white beard who added more to the fun with his big laughs. He really looked like one of those texas biker gang dude and a hardcore JC/Terminator/Arnold fan.

As for the movie, nothing new in terms of storytelling. Borrowed many of the great elements/scenes/sequences of T1+T2 and amped it up. 

The acting was great across the board. Really liked the actors playing Dani, Grace and the villain. The movie had lots of intentional comedic/funny moments, which was good. Felt like a marvel comic book movie. Great acting, action scenes, emotional scenes and comedic liners. The bonus is a solid villain. 

Deserves to be doing much much better but it will tank in India as well. Looks like a big flop internationally. Who would have thought that?

I feel more for the new actors and Linda for whom this was a break/vehicle for hopefully bigger and better things. Sigh.

Although I liked this movie a lot, one thing bothering me is that how in the world did it cost $180+ million to make? It didn't feel like it...a 100-130M sure. Looks to me like people got overpaid on this or there were lots of expensive reshoots to fix the movie or the director wasn't sure what he was doing.

JC was heavily involved in this one and I feel like he is losing his mojo or doesn't get the pulse of today's audience. I am genuinely worried about Avatar 2. 

All in all a solid 8/10.

T1 - 8.5/10

T2- 10/10

TDF - 8/10

T3Rise - 6/10

TS - 5/10

Genisys- 4/10

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1