grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Huge showcount for Thursday at MTC2. 3206 shows. That is 20% more than Black Widow started with!!! They are really betting big on this. Will run numbers once I get out of class. 

Edit: So the runtime is only 1 hr 35 min. That, along with the 4 pm start, explains the high show count. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

34 minutes ago, Menor said:

Huge showcount for Thursday at MTC2. 3206 shows. That is 20% more than Black Widow started with!!! They are really betting big on this. Will run numbers once I get out of class. 

Edit: So the runtime is only 1 hr 35 min. That, along with the 4 pm start, explains the high show count. 

Oof....... that run time will only add to the film's likely bad reception.... that is never good to not even crack the 100 minute mark.... make all the money they can though. 

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Release is bigger than Shang Chi though I am expecting lower numbers. Last one did not have great WOM or legs. 

• Like 1

Malignant counted today at 10am EST for Friday:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 55 (6 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
5 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 0 (4 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 0 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
3 (5 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 28 (3 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 76 (6 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 167.
Up 34% since yesterday.

Comps (all counted on Wednesday for Friday): Old (16.9M OW) had 262 sold tickets in 7 theaters,
Crawl (12.0) had 170 sold tickets in 7 theaters,
The Conjuring 3
(24.1M) had 1.074 in 7 theaters,
Don't Breathe 2 (10.6M) had 197 in 7 theaters,

and The Night House (2.9M) had 72 sold tickets in 6 theaters.
The Forever Purge (12.6M) had on Wednesday for Thursday 168 sold tickets in 7 theaters.
Still looking meager between the coasts but the total number isn't that bad.

The Card Counter had today 36 sold tickets for Friday and Show Me the Father had still only 6 sold tickets also for Friday (both in 3 theaters).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

31 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Release is bigger than Shang Chi though I am expecting lower numbers. Last one did not have great WOM or legs. 

So far from partial data I am seeing it about equal to SC start or a bit higher, though it also had tickets go on sale at a better time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Oof....... that run time will only add to the film's likely bad reception.... that is never good to not even crack the 100 minute mark.... make all the money they can though. 

Nah, if they are going even heavier comedy (vs more "spooky spook" as someone called the horror aspects of Venom:), you don't want to wear out your welcome - nothing worse than a comedy that doesn't know when to move on and when to end...and it's a sequel, so origins don't need to be fleshed out (which always take time)...

I'd be much more worried about 2.5 hours vs 1.5 hours...

PS - Deadpool was only 1 hour 48 minutes, and they had to tell an origin in that one...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Just 95 minutes runtime? How much of a dud will this be lmaoooo.

Absolutely no one is expecting Spider-man 2 quality for this movie. They already have the origin out of the way so might as well get the sequel over with in a quick 90 minutes.

Movies being too long have also become a problem in recent years.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

I’m not interested in Venom 2, but there’s nothing wrong with a shorter runtime.

Sometimes it’s a relief these days when you see a film is 90m. I went to see one a few weeks ago that was 84 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Yeah, I don't understand why people are hating on this already. Trailers have looked great.

I think it looked terrible. 

Actually let me rephrase that. If you enjoyed the first movie then the trailers looked great and you'll probably enjoy this sequel. If, like me, you thought the first movie sucked then the trailers looked to be more of the same, if not worse.

• Like 5

Venom 2 was at 4250/521393 with 3213 shows at MTC2 a couple of hours ago. I am doing another run now but it's broadly doing similar numbers to Shang-Chi, with a slight edge due to the much higher show count. A healthy start I would say. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Venom 2 was at 4250/521393 with 3213 shows at MTC2 a couple of hours ago. I am doing another run now but it's broadly doing similar numbers to Shang-Chi, with a slight edge due to the much higher show count. A healthy start I would say. 

Box office wise, it would be great to have it meet the original or do slightly better. Industry needs it. Thanks for the data. 

• Like 2