Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

25 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why is the nerd community filled with so many bigots? I was told that representing minorities in movies is extremist leftist agenda and that if Superman was black, it would ruin the character. I was also called a racist by this dumb-dumb because I said representation matters.

Does anyone here have proof that when comic books follow "extreme leftist ideas" ( in other words, it means race or gender-bending popular characters) it led to sales decrease? Every bigoted nerd I have met says that without realizing that Stan Lee adhered to extremist left-leaning ideas (for the time) during a time when the Jim Crow Laws still existed.

Edit: Was also called a hypocrite for not trying to fix structural sexism in the middle east even though I live in the middle east and have been trying to help solve it in as many ways as possible (without getting myself deported).

Marvel's own executive said that was the case during 2016, when Marvel had awful sales years in 2015 and 2016...now, whether there were more nuanced reasons for their poor showing (and there probably were), Marvel did make significant changes after that period, keeping their most popular new characters and punting the rest, slowly bringing back the original versions in those other comics...

Breathes out slowly... newly found list with new data.... inputting... finished

And the first thing I (just) learned in the new year?

There are clips at YT with audience reactions for (I guess opening weekend) movies!? I am wondering who had that idea (not really).

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

Is @IronJimbo  on Twitter? T Dubb sounds like him lmao

When something is glaringly obivious mutliple people will come to the same conclusion indepently.

And yes I am.

Only 4 tweets though. @Telemachos notice how 3 billion chump change to me now.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why is the nerd community filled with so many bigots? I was told that representing minorities in movies is extremist leftist agenda and that if Superman was black, it would ruin the character. I was also called a racist by this dumb-dumb because I said representation matters.

Does anyone here have proof that when comic books follow "extreme leftist ideas" ( in other words, it means race or gender-bending popular characters) it led to sales decrease? Every bigoted nerd I have met says that without realizing that Stan Lee adhered to extremist left-leaning ideas (for the time) during a time when the Jim Crow Laws still existed.

Edit: Was also called a hypocrite for not trying to fix structural sexism in the middle east even though I live in the middle east and have been trying to help solve it in as many ways as possible (without getting myself deported).

"Nerd" isn't what I'd call the defining characteristic of all the young males on YouTube and elsewhere who are extremely salty about minority or female representation.

I don't mean to argue about semantics, I agree that there's way too many gamers/comic book fans who are bigoted with regards to minority and female representation etc,

It's just that linking it to "nerdiness" completely obscures the problem. All the nerds I know (and I know a lot, I am one myself) don't feel that way at all.

The defining characteristic of nearly all these people is they're young (white) males who are unhappy with their lives in some way and want to blame something else for it, so they've constructed this narrative in their heads about how white males are the real victims.

This is even true of the great many of them that I certainly would never called nerds (because they're morons).

Edited by Jason
  • Like 4

Binge watched the entire 3rd season of A Series of Unfortunate Events today. This was a really fun and strong adaptation of the source material. I am gonna miss the opening credits.

Edited by CJohn

3 hours ago, Jason said:

"Nerd" isn't what I'd call the defining characteristic of all the young males on YouTube and elsewhere who are extremely salty about minority or female representation.

I don't mean to argue about semantics, I agree that there's way too many gamers/comic book fans who are bigoted with regards to minority and female representation etc,

It's just that linking it to "nerdiness" completely obscures the problem. All the nerds I know (and I know a lot, I am one myself) don't feel that way at all.

The defining characteristic of nearly all these people is they're young (white) males who are unhappy with their lives in some way and want to blame something else for it, so they've constructed this narrative in their heads about how white males are the real victims.

This is even true of the great many of them that I certainly would never called nerds (because they're morons).

The issue Jason I noticed is that it's spreading away from the fringe alt right white based groups and more into the mainstream as a lot of the flag bearers such as your Shapiros and Petersons and Youtube stars have become very mainstream.

Ofc as those ideas get more mainstream they are not as 'crazy' as they were in the extreme fringes. 

Like anyone observing Youtube and Meme culture can clearly tell there is a huge "anti sjw" sentiment these days. Its not that all the people are against all progressive ideas, I think people think its gone a bit far and they won't really get that viewpoint validated from mainstream media really. 

Like for example on the wage gap, mainstream media says its exists but in those groups its seen as either false or nowhere near as big as claimed.

That is why those people have like skyrocketed in popularity.

Its a trend to watch out for and not dismiss imo because a lot of my friends who are reasonable guys and I can hear them parrot line by line something Jordan Peterson says. 

You likely already know how widely shared those memes from groups like Ontario Proud are. 

Edited by Lordmandeep