FlashMaster659

Monday #s - TLJ 21.6M

34 minutes ago, Goffe said:

It has always struck me as odd people bringing the amount of 1s but never the 10s to discredit online ratings for fanboy movies. I just looked up TLJ voting distribution and 22% voted it a 10 and only 5% voted it a 1 (just a 8k out of 150k). Who's exactly rigging the average? The people who liked it or the ones who disliked it?

Not that IMDB means anything as far as real life wom is concerned.

That's a bit misleading though, because the ratings aren't really split in half. For 1/10 and 10/10 to be equally one-sided, the average would need to be between 5 and 6, yet for most people that isn't the case. When a 7/10 is basically solid or decent, then there is lot less ground to get to 10 than there is to get to 1. You basically have five to six numbers which represent "bad", while only up to three that represent "good". Of course you are getting more 10s that way than you are getting 1s.

The odds of a movie truly being a 1/10 for someone are slim to say the least. That's basically "I rather cut out my eyes than watch this thing" territory. Yet there are often far more 1s than there are 2s, 3s or 4s. That makes giving a 1 sound more like giving the worst possible rating for the sake of giving the worst possible rating.

Though I guess there are quite a few people who have rather black and white views, where something must be either the greatest thing ever or worst thing they could think of. There isn't really a rational explanation for that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, George Parr said:

That's a bit misleading though, because the ratings aren't really split in half. For 1/10 and 10/10 to be equally one-sided, the average would need to be between 5 and 6, yet for most people that isn't the case. When a 7/10 is basically solid or decent, then there is lot less ground to get to 10 than there is to get to 1. You basically have five to six numbers which represent "bad", while only up to three that represent "good". Of course you are getting more 10s that way than you are getting 1s.

The odds of a movie truly being a 1/10 for someone are slim to say the least. That's basically "I rather cut out my eyes than watch this thing" territory. Yet there are often far more 1s than there are 2s, 3s or 4s. That makes giving a 1 sound more like giving the worst possible rating for the sake of giving the worst possible rating.

Though I guess there are quite a few people who have rather black and white views, where something must be either the greatest thing ever or worst thing they could think of. There isn't really a rational explanation for that.

Those are all valid points. There are also plenty of 10's by people who have not seen the movie. This happens with every single fanboy property on there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I know we're legally only allowed to talk about TLJ in here but wanted to say I got a sneak of Paddington 2 and it will legit make my top 5 for the year.

THE most charming and delightful films to come along in years.

I love it, Paddington 2 is in my top 2 of the year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I don't pay attention to much of anything at Xmas, its a time for friends and family, which is why trading is banned on that day.

just checked and now I see that you have only been a member here since June. My apologies. I thought you'd been here a lot longer.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, George Parr said:

The odds of a movie truly being a 1/10 for someone are slim to say the least.

You’re missing the fact that a 7 only translates to just “decent” because people give out way more 10s than they do 1s, which goes back to my point of “fans” far outweighting “trolls”. Ratings are not split in half, you’re right, but they are only distorted that way because people are way more generous with their ratings than they are not.

Also, the chances of a movie being a 10 is just as hard, if not harder. There are far more bad than good out there. 

EDIT: I thought you were talking about IMDB only, and not people's perception of a number. My bad.

Edited by Goffe

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Christmas day is around 35m with a similar 26th. Again y'all are not grasping what a 25th on Monday will do to the box office next week. 

I'm projecting an average of $30m per day between Monday and Thursday next week, so yes I do understand the holiday effect.

3 minutes ago, Goffe said:

You’re missing the fact that a 7 only translates to just “decent” because people give out way more 10s than they do 1s, which goes back to my point of “fans” far outweighting “trolls”. Ratings are not split in half, you’re right, but they are only distorted that way because people are way more generous with their ratings than they are not.

Also, the chances of a movie being a 10 is just as hard, if not harder. There are far more bad than good out there. 

No, I'm not missing that at all. Most movies aren't rated at a 10, so that isn't the guideline that defines how the ratings are set up. Most movies end up in the okay/decent/solid range. All of that is set up by how people formed their 10 point range, and that doesn't happen by taking 10 point movies and going from there, it generally comes from people taking a scale that they are used to and applying it to movies. If all the ratings that you come into contact with during your life are based on 6/7 being the "barely made it" to "decent" range, and that's what seems to be the norm, then it is very likely you are going to apply this to movies as well. But that leaves the entire range below that relatively undefined.

That's not what this is about. It's about the scale itself, not the movies. If you only have three good ratings, then it is a short way to go to ten. But if a 5 is already bad, then there are plenty of steps required to come in at 1, yet these steps hardly ever exist.

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

57-58% drop...if it makes up Tuesday with discount Tuesday effect, it can stay on RO's path...

The calendar works a little differently when Christmas and New Years fall on a Monday like they do this year.  Less schools and people are off work early this week then they were even last year but you will have more people off the week of the 1st.  A lot of the movies in 2006 when the calendar was similar had much smaller drops from this week to the week of the 1st than movies did last year when the calendar was only 1 day off.

• Like 1

Rogue One’s second Monday was over 80% higher than its first Monday so TLJ should do gangbusters next week, especially since it’s Christmas. $35M seems likely, if not more. TFA’s Monday record may even bite the dust.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

57-58% drop...if it makes up Tuesday with discount Tuesday effect, it can stay on RO's path...

That is actually a better Sunday to Monday drop than Pursuit of Happyness had in 2006.  Obviously this won't have anywhere near the legs that did but its a solid number that doesn't really move the needle one way or the other.

Edited by SoSaysI
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

just checked and now I see that you have only been a member here since June. My apologies. I thought you'd been here a lot longer.

Yeah, still learning.

Sorry if I come across a bit dumb.

19 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Rogue One’s second Monday was over 80% higher than its first Monday so TLJ should do gangbusters next week, especially since it’s Christmas. $35M seems likely, if not more. TFA’s Monday record may even bite the dust.

Monday-Tuesday going to be huge. Will be interesting to see which one is bigger and how close they are.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I know we're legally only allowed to talk about TLJ in here but wanted to say I got a sneak of Paddington 2 and it will legit make my top 5 for the year.

THE most charming and delightful films to come along in years.

That's my feeling towards Coco. Easily in my Top 5 and among the very best Pixar fare (which is saying something).

• Like 2