Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, Hatebox said:

As much as I'll take any chance to shit on R1, its legs were too good to say people were simply high on TFA.

I mean more opening weekend was helped. It's legs were because people that weren't me liked it.

41 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Who'd thunk RPO, the movie everyone was clamouring to bomb would beat Solo WW? 

Now that you brought it up :ph34r::

RPO OS 442 > Solo WW

RPO OS-China 222 (442-220) > Solo OS

RPO China 220 could beat Solo Dom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

When you realize any one of the three Maze Runner movies, which you’ve been stanning for since 8th grade, will gross more (overseas at least) than a Star Wars movie

When quality wins ;) Btw, Solo should do under Maze Runner 1 WW. PS: Maze Runner had no 3D

• Like 2

are we really writing off the chance of this film having legs once word gets out?

Do we really believe that people won’t go back to work next week and recommend it to others who didn’t go but saw the last three? 

I’m really looking forward to seeing how this plays the next couple of weeks. It’s all a bit Fantastic Beasts at the moment. I remember all the gloom and doom when that opening weekend came in. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It seems to me that LF is after new fans with little regard for old fans. In fact, KK infamously said that they don't owe old fans anything. However, the problem is that, to GA, SW = the Saga. It isn't like MCU where you have 100+ characters who belong in that universe so when you slap Marvel brand people automatically accept any of those diverse movies to be Marvel. SW is now trying to branch out with spin-offs but they don't have the brand recognition unlike the Saga which is a synonym for SW. So to be successful with spin-offs, they need core fans since those fans are more invested than GA. However, they don't listen. As @Horner said

If a big chunk of your core fans aren't jazzed for a movie on a conceptual level, then it's not unreasonable to assume that the a big chunk of the GA will react similarly. 

Yet fandom opinion was discarded. Mind you, I'm far from advocating pandering to fans and writing movies based on Fandom demands A-Z. But if your fandom show no interest in something perhaps you should give it some consideration before jumping into production. Out of 1000 ideas, to pick one that fans are telling you they don't need to see is hubris. 

• Like 2

Avengers IW will lack fuel to go 2B WW.

Oh well, the movie did ok overall I guess.

I won't comment on Solo, It s kinda tragic.

Deadpool 2 whatever.

Edited by The Futurist

4 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

Now that you brought it up :ph34r::

RPO OS 442 > Solo WW

RPO OS-China 222 (442-220) > Solo OS

RPO China 220 could beat Solo Dom

One of the most absurd box office outcomes of the year, and I love it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

are we really writing off the chance of this film having legs once word gets out?

Do we really believe that people won’t go back to work next week and recommend it to others who didn’t go but saw the last three? 

I’m really looking forward to seeing how this plays the next couple of weeks. It’s all a bit Fantastic Beasts at the moment. I remember all the gloom and doom when that opening weekend came in. 

Fantastic Beasts isn't a good comparison because that had a strong OS performance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Fantastic Beasts didn't open to 65 million overseas ... even if Solo legs it out to a 230 or so finish in the US, it's not even a guarantee to beat out fucking Rampage worldwide.

Horrendous result for Disney, but I think they'll survive Solo & Wrinkle in Time. :P

Edited by AdamKendall

From BOM's weekend writeup:

and with a reported $300 million price tag before prints and advertising this weekend's performance is extremely disappointing.

Holy fucking shit, so was Solo really confirmed to have a 300m budget then? If that's the case we're no longer looking at a money loser here, we're looking at a truly massive box office bomb. 400-450 WW on a 300 budget? Some heads are absolutely going to roll for this. Of course Kennedy will probably get out unscathed for now, even though she is the direct cause of a lot of Solo's production troubles and budget inflating. 

Star Wars absolutely has to be smart about budgets. With Asia and Latin America DOA, you can't just keep cranking out 200-250M movies and expect healthy profits every time. And hopefully never again wait until 80% of the way into shooting that your directors aren't working out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You have a point. I was in denial on Friday. It's an extremely ugly drop. It dropped 66% on a Holiday weekend up against a massively under performing movie.

Yea i said on Friday/early Saturday after we got some numbers from Asgard that the drop reminded me of Godzilla 2014. It’s not good at all

• Like 1