Eric Prime

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

Just now, That One Guy said:

Thanks for specifying that it's in 3D.  Clearly this is the 3D event of a lifetime, sorry James Cameron

That's the title of the movie on Box Office Mojo.  I must call the movie by its true artistic title.

• Astonished 1

Just now, The Panda said:

You think I'm the type of person to have my avatar be an anime character????

Pancham is in the Pokémon anime you know. And further proof of a fake PikaPika fan.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

But I am using the American, Live-Action Pancham that will be in the World Wide Phenomenon smash!

Okay that checks out but you got lucky this time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I be shocked if spiderman made less then homecoming

Seems that character is way more liked now 

I can see an increase WW, my guess is that Lion King will bite off it’s legs.

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

can someone please explain to me why CM couldn't open with 200M despite having presales second only to IW? I just don't get it. :verydepressed:

Because presales just become more and more prevalent and necessary. 

Especially as more theaters move to reserved seating and recliners. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

can someone please explain to me why CM couldn't open with 200M despite having presales second only to IW? I just don't get it. :verydepressed:

The sense of importance. Not that Captain Marvel isn't important. But Infinity War was billed as the last Avengers; it had the foundation of a lengthy list of stars and a substantial amount of previous Marvel hits supporting it. The only Disney-brand Marvel film between Infinity War and this one was Ant-Man & The Wasp--this potentially limited the momentum.

But fear not; the weekend's only just begun. We may only know a few clues as to how the film could gross.

Edited by Slambros

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I think Black Panther would have opened where it did regardless of whether the character was introduced in Civil War. That film had everything going for it and I really don't think a minor appearance in Civil War is what gave it any extra boost at the box office. 

I have to agree. I know quite a few friends who were excited about Black Panther, but had no concept what The Avengers were, the MCU or that Black Panther was in Civil War. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baumer said:

For those of you wondering about Guru and rth, rth has told me in the past that they are friendly with one another. So it certainly would not surprise me if rth is guru's source.

Box Office Blood Brothers.

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Length of the pre-sales + augmentation of the pre-sales prevalence + demography that pre-buy a lot + no giant best movie of the year type of buzz that get people that didn't expect to go in ?