Eric Quinn

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

3 minutes ago, Birdo Mandingo said:

why I would love 900 or 1 billion I kinda hope we get it in the mid 800s (and I think it is possible). Right now we have 2 movies in the 700s and 1 in the 900s... things feel out of balance. 

It shall be balanced by having 2 movies in the 900s

Edited by clang123

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it beat Avatar WW(only because thats been the fanboy fallback line when TFA demolished it domestically in 2015), but domestic is still by far the most important and relevant market.  I'd prefer it to beat TFA domestic than beat Avatar WW.  Actually, I want 1 billion domestic. :D

It is partly because when you just look on dom numbers you are just comparing to movies with inflation. For instance if Avatar made the same dollars overseas today it would decrease by 30-70% in many markets due to the dollar strengthening. And yes, it would go up some because of inflation, but not too much. Avatar did a massive portion of its business in 3d which greatly offsets the losses in the comparison for inflation. Right now 3d is not popular, but premium formats are. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John C-Nah said:

People kept telling that CJohn dude 300M OW was impossible but deep down he knew the potential was there. He must be feeling pretty good right now.

CJohn knees the truth. And since I know he is definitely not here, I am very saddened he can not witness the celebration 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Birdo Mandingo said:

It is partly because when you just look on dom numbers you are just comparing to movies with inflation. For instance if Avatar made the same dollars overseas today it would decrease by 30-70% in many markets due to the dollar strengthening. And yes, it would go up some because of inflation, but not too much. Avatar did a massive portion of its business in 3d which greatly offsets the losses in the comparison for inflation. Right now 3d is not popular, but premium formats are. 

yeah thats one reason why i don't care about OS gross as much

domestic has the biggest bragging rights

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

I was just doing some rough calculations for Worldwide opening weekend.

OS total through Thursday including China - 305

Now lets look at Friday. We already have China (63.75) and South Korea numbers (8.4). Plus for Dom lets take a little smaller number than Rth's low end conservative estimate. So lets assume a Dom Friday of 145m. So total through Friday including all these numbers are:-

Total through Friday = 522 (remember this does not include OS Friday numbers as they have not been reported yet with exception of China and SK)

- China through Sunday looks to be adding 120m more on conservative side (realistically probably more)

- Dom through Sunday looks to be adding 165m more (for a total Dom weekend of 310. Again some might call it conservative)

Total through Sunday = 807m (Does not include OS FSS except for China)

Now guessing OS FSS is gonna be difficult so I went and looked at how Infinity War performed over the weekend. Infinity War and Endgame opened in almost exactly the same territories OS so there wont be too much difference here).

Using Infinity War drops over OS weekend and applying same number to Endgame gives 442m OS FSS.

Total through Sunday with all countries = 807+442 = 1249m

I cannot comprehend that number. We were all expecting it to cross 1b WW but cross it by this much? @Charlie Jatinder what do you think? Is my math wrong or is this possible?

You are right. I am seeing it to do 1280mn, with $440mn OS FSS. Just that my dom and China are 345.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2

Avatar's worldwide crown seems to be in danger for the first time ever. Same with TFA's dom. I'd say the odds are still against Endgame in both cases, but it keeps surpassing even our wildest predictions so who knows.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, John C-Nah said:

People kept telling that CJohn dude 300M OW was impossible but deep down he knew the potential was there. He must be feeling pretty good right now.

The legend has returned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to put things into perspective about how bonkers this movie is doing. WW and CM fans will understand. Both fan groups root(ed)so hard for their movie to reach and surpass 400+. Every week, we hope for good drops, survey the competition and pull up comparable to gauge trends. Here, you have this beast who will pass 400 million by the end of the week. Simply incredible. We must realize that this kind of thing doesn’t happen very often. Maybe once a decade, if that. I cannot get enough of it. I am astonished. All of us movie fans are lucky to be here to witness this. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

You are right. I am seeing it to do 1280mn, with $440mn OS FSS. Just that my dom and China are 345.

If domestic finishes around 850m, can it do 1.9b with OS + China?  I haven't been paying attention to any OS market outside of China.

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

That's the opposite at my theater, Usher's on their own while we have 5 people in conecessions dealing with customers.  And honestly? Today was only mildly more busy than a normal Friday morning, probably even less. It's a bit like a bell curve, if a movies not good/has no hype it's not going to be busy (The Intruder and Uglydolls next week for reference or basically any horror movie on a Friday morning), If a movie has hype but isn't a must see (Non-avengers Marvel movies) it'll be horribly busy as people come up to by tickets, However, if a movie's hype is off the charts and everyone wants to watch it a few times (Avengers movies and main lline star wars) then it's dead. Because all the tickets are sold, and the only limiting factor on getting people through concessions is waiting for their theater to be cleaned to let them in building. For all that every theater of EG sold out today the line for concession never got longer than 3 groups at a register (aside from when customers were retarded and decided that 5 open registers meant we only needed one line).

People stayed in their seats.  While it was engaged and exuberant the audience was the most well behaved audience I've watched a movie with in eons. 

No phones, no loud talking to each other, no moving around - no getting up for concessions mid movie, or even trips to the bathroom.

As for cleaning up.  That should be for accidental popcorn and soda spills.  It shouldn't be for people too damn lazy to pick up their trash and dump it a bin right outside the door.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

As for cleaning up.  That should be for accidental popcorn and soda spills.  It shouldn't be for people too damn lazy to pick up their trash and dump it a bin right outside the door.

My own thought process is that you would never treat your home like that, so don't treat your surroundings like that, that applies to public transport, fast food places and the street.

USA

China

Rest

WW

Change

Week 0

Week 1

Week 2

-61.98%

Week 3

-54.58%

Week 4