sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

An A- Rated R movie is basically A+ PG 13 movie 😂

US was a B

You can't remotely compare Us and John Wick Cinemascores. Us is a horror movie, which always has deflated Cinemascores compared to action movies. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure there isn't any sort of correlation between R-ratings having deflated Cinemascores compared to PG-13 movies.

30 minutes ago, youcantseemyname said:

Keanu is the MCU's Wolverine.

You heard here first.

wut? 

Keanu can't act, Jackman can.

Keanu needs really, really specific roles for him to shine and overcome his otherwise lack of ability. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 3

14 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

"Keanu can't act!" Aren't Keanu haters tired of being wrong? Aren't they tired of spewing that decades old lie?

I never got that complaint either. Reeves has given some legit strong performances in the past. In Sam Raimi's The Gift he practically steals the show as an absolute monster, and recently he was cast well in a little seen flick The Bad Batch. 

Keanu's not the greatest of actors, but like any performer, he has his own wheelhouse, and he works well in that. The Wick movies are great, because among other things he plays a solemn figure well. There's a reason he's stuck around and been as relevant as long as he has. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, BK007 said:

wut? 

Keanu can't act, Jackman can.

Keanu needs really, really specific roles for him to shine and overcome his otherwise lack of ability. 

Haha your funny. And even if he can't act different range of roles like your suggesting. What makes you think wolverine is any different then the really really specific roles he shines in? Wolverine kinda matches into the kind of roles he has been doing. 

• Thanks 1

Amazing number!! I cant wait for the next trilogy of JWick franchise.

Future projection:

- Aug 2021 JWick 4 opening 120M total 360+M

- Nov 2023 JWick 5 opening 240M total 720+M

- Feb 2026 JWick 6 opening 480M total 1.4+B

Here comes the new king at the BO in the next decade. Watch out Marvel, Lucas and Cameron!

9 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

Amazing number!! I cant wait for the next trilogy of JWick franchise.

Future projection:

- Aug 2021 JWick 4 opening 120M total 360+M

- Nov 2023 JWick 5 opening 240M total 720+M

- Feb 2026 JWick 6 opening 480M total 1.4+B

Here comes the new king at the BO in the next decade. Watch out Marvel, Lucas and Cameron!

Sad. Will need Wick 8 to top 3B

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

"Keanu can't act!" Aren't Keanu haters tired of being wrong? Aren't they tired of spewing that decades old lie?

I love Keanu, but I also think he can’t act worth much compared to other professionals. I don’t think the two opinions need to be mutually exclusive.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I will do a better count in 3 hours.

That’s an insane increase for John Wick.

John Wick 2’s Friday was $11m. Wow. 

Avengers is having another 50%+ drop, it has a holiday weekend next week though. 

Oh god, not the Keanu can't act canard.

OF COURSE HE CAN ACT.  He's a damn good one, in fact.   

The main 'problem', in as much as there is one, is that the one place he shines is 'body acting' (IMO).  That is, instead of acting via facial expressions (which he can do just fine, BTW), his body does a lot of the acting for him.

It's just a style that isn't that prevalent nowadays, so it gets classified as 'wooden'. Or 'stoic' if he's lucky.  

But when he has to emote, he's still very very good.  Take A Scanner Darkly, for instance. I defy anyone to tell me he didn't act the hell out of that movie.  

He isn't Sir Lawrence, no.  But he ain't Ted from Bill and Ted, either.  Like, I had the severe misfortune to watch Sweet November (one of the few times I've literally thrown the remote against the wall at the end of the flick).  Guess what?  He was fucking fantastic in the film.  Literally the only reason I allow myself to remember it.

Can't act?  Can't act relative to his peers?  My right fanny he can't act.  May not be the best of his generation, but he's a damn good one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saw John Wick Chapter 3 tonight.  It's a masterpiece.  Really enjoyed it.

Keanu is getting older, I'm not sure how many more of these he has in him, but I feel like he owes it to the cause of Art to make as many as he reasonably can.  He can't possibly have any higher calling as an Artist than JW4 and JW5, at least.

• ...wtf 1

I have heard that Keanu doesn't even know when a movie is being shot. He has requested his agent that he be kept in the dark about the projects he is part of. He goes about being himself and the movie unbeknownst to him is shot around him while he is doing daily chores. For Wick movies he was asked to grow a beard owing to a staged bet he was tricked into loosing. Then the walls in his house were painted green as part of a free offer from an "interior designer friend" Keanu couldn't recollect for the life of him, but was in real clandestinely hired by the studio. This way the vfx was taken care of. Keanu was frequently mugged by for-hire robbers and the action sequences with liberal help from body doubles and photo-realistic effects were thus finished. Only once the movie reached post-production did the studio hold a surprise party and shock him with the news that the last of Wick was shot and that now the cameras hidden in his bedroom and toilet will be removed. Keanu was truly surprised but no one could tell by looking. #KeanuCannotAct

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1